Rev matching/blipping/downshifting

In my experience I have found motorcycle riders to generally carry over a sort of vigilant driving style when we operate cars/trucks where we are more aware of other vehicles especially motorcycles and can better predict situations before they arise. I've taught my students to ride in a "bubble" and to expect that each and every car driver doesn't see them (mostly that's the case anyway).

In defense of this, there are far less distractions on a motorcycle so the rider can concentrate more on operating the bike and not changing channels on the radio or adjusting the heat/air conditioning or listen to passengers...
I've just remembered something the senior instructor told us once...he said there are people who ride motorcycles and then there are people who sit on motorcycles.

This thread can easily become a philosophical discussion on how to ride. Before, when I wasn't a bum, I used to commute on the Busa here in Southern California. It's a mental thing: I became super sensitive (situationally aware) to the dynamics on the road, was always thinking, that car doesn't see me, and therefore was already prepared to grab a handful, make a swoop, always looking for that safety margin. Pretty sure all bikers (eventually) ride this way and, in my experience, the more you do it, the better you get at it. I'd be curious to hear from those here who are/were instructors if they agree that bike riders make better drivers due to their increase in situational awareness, generally.

I commute from time to time and generally ride a lot. I’m also a first responder and former racer. I regularly see my fair share of death and have a high level of training when it comes to traffic and driving. With this said I would say that there’s also a risk with being too vigilant/defensive. Usually a rider who stays in the far right lane at all times and ride ”like he’s on a moped”. These riders often get bullied by drivers or make dangerous decisions because of nervousness and lack of stress management.
I believe you should cover your clutch/brake with two fingers whenever there is a slight chance that you need to do a rapid manuver or emergency brake. I never trust other drivers, I treat them like wildlife as they might do anything at any time.

I also believe it’s important to recognize risk and not be afraid. Most common fatal accidents i’ve handled involved intersections, rural roads with diesel/leaves/gravel/hidden exits, intoxicated riders and no license.

Back