labor costs.

Busabm88

Registered
Hey guys,
almost got enough saved for a rcc stage 1 kit. Just wondering what the average cost is to have to the turbo installed. along with valve springs,some pistons, and the necessary clutch up grade. I live in IL are there any builders you guys know of with a good rep here in IL? It will be taken to ryan schnitz for a ecu tune. Just wanting to get it done right the first time and be able to enjoy it with no headache. its a gen 2. thanks!

If your already going to Schnitz and dont have the ability to do the install yourself. Hes as good of a choice as any. He knows his stuff.

I do not have a turbo but from reading what the experts post in previous threads im thinking your looking at $1500 for install and tune. Add extras like the clutch and engine work and the money is gonna add up quick.

But im not an expert so someone who has been through this will hopefully chime in soon for ya.

Im in central Il champaign urbana area. Im pretty inclined im sure i could do the install but i figured if it was going to a shop to get springs and some wossner turbo pistons put in they could just install the turbo

+1 on letting Ryan Schnitz do the whole thing. Then you know, without a doubt, it was all done correctly. I'm sure he'd be happier knowing that everything was done correctly before he puts it on the dyno too.

I've had 4 different bikes go to out Schnitz and every one of them as been well worth the money and time

No offense to Ryan but I bought my turbo (used) and the tune was so far off where it should have been. It was running rich down low and lean up top. I know if was Schnitz racing who tuned it because I saw the receipt my self. Anytime I buy any turbo bike, truck or car I always put it on my dyno before I do anything with it because 9 times out of 10 it never seems to be right. Maybe he knows his stuff better now but he apparantly did not back then.

I trailor my bike from Kansas City to NE to have Frank at powerhouse tune it and it was def done right.

I had Smiths Customs tune it here in KC when I first bought it and it was the same story, it ran pig rich, got horrible MPG and that's when I finally decided to make the long trip to NY and get it done right.

thanks for the input guys. Think i will have ryan do it. elton at efr said $16000 to do a turbo install with his stuff. he didnt really say what system he uses but he said 345 rwhp $16000 out the door.obvisoulsy i would think that is a full build rods,pistons,etc. if it cost 16 g's then i guess i wont be boosted for awhile. I was thinking 6500-7 grand. Ill call schnitz and see whats up.

im looking for high 2's 250-280 rwhp. From researching around I'll Need heavier valve springs,SS valves,gonna go with some wossner turbo drop in pistons and some arp studs. gonna go with dump pipes for now. tuned with ecu editor. think it can be done for 7 g's? Just givin ya an idea of what im workin with. thanks guys!

Last edited:
$7k won't go far if your wanting to do rods and pistons unless you already got the turbo kit? Unless you fab your own.

Using rcc stg1 as base 4200+ 550 piston + 875 rods + 1500-2000 install( not sure how much for piston/ rod replacement)

So your easly going to hit 7k with piston rods and paying for install/ tune
Posted via Mobile Device

$7k won't go far if your wanting to do rods and pistons unless you already got the turbo kit? Unless you fab your own.

Using rcc stg1 as base 4200+ 550 piston + 875 rods + 1500-2000 install( not sure how much for piston/ rod replacement)

So your easly going to hit 7k with piston rods and paying for install/ tune
Posted via Mobile Device

RCC Stage 1 for a Gen 1 is now $4300. As of this date, the Stage 1 for the Gen 2 is still $4400. These prices do not include the BOV option, which adds $375 to the price of either kit. FYI, POWERHOUSE is still offering all of RCC's kits on sale - $200 off + a free RCC T-shirt. :cheerleader:

Wossner turbo pistons are still $550 and Wossner H-beam rods are $835 . . . both items are shipped for free from POWERHOUSE. ARP or APE studs, in stock, along with everything else you might need.:beerchug:

No rods. was saying elton was including rods in
his price. i figured under 300 hp factory rods would be fine? just ss valves arp studs. heavy valve springs.

powerhouse is the place to go , frank knows everything about the busa and what it takes to go fast , franks busa has 600 or more horse to the rear wheel and he drives it on the street all the time with no problems, frank did the tune on my turbo zx10 and its perfect ,,,call him if you want to go fast and be streetable :beerchug:

Frank,
What is average cost for install of pistons?

There is no "average" cost. This is one of those situations where you sometimes get what you pay for, and maybe more, depending on where you go to get it done. Putting pistons in a Busa requires the motor to be partially removed from the frame, to get access to the top end. Some shops would just "drop" the pistons in and send you down the road. At POWERHOUSE, we would check deck height, lightly re-hone the cylinder, set ring gaps, and balance all four pistons, together with the pins, rings and clips. If you are running a spacer plate (Gen 1), then the cams have to be degreed as well, adding to the overall labor, as would the installation of studs.

I would say between 600-750 . . . again, it depends on exactly what you want done and who does it.:poke:

Yeah, Elton if a f*cking rip off. Ryan is good, but you might also want to go to bryan at win racing in Naperville il. Great guy, and his tunes are amount the best. Give him a call. 1 (630) 978-8856. And if he doesn't answer, leave a message cuz he's probably on the dyno.

4-500 to R&R engine
2-250 for piston install
150-250 for valves and valvespring install needed if gen2
600-1000 for turbo install

Gaskets, fluids, spark plugs, tuning, etc...

Back