how much does it cost to build/tune a turbo?

Custom goodies aside how much would it cost to get the engine ready to take these kinds of kits?

I know studs, cams, ect. But what doesn't come with the kits that might be needed to get the most out of the kits? and how much would it cost aprox to get that work done?(apply to any of the above kits that may apply)

A SHEET LOAD I"m not being a jerk but I will only do this for a super ultra kit because there are just to many opinions and variables that can get put into it. THIS IS HOW I DID IT. Now you are going to even find people that say its overbuilt ect....but it did fine on the dyno and runs great so they can put there money where there mouth is and do a 600HP + build and see how it goes. Your also gonna have people say oh you just spent alot of money and I can do it for 20K less.....Even if you built the motor on your own and some how managed to know how to tune your bike you saving $2500 tops and that would count wiring up all your own stuff. The turbo kits are where the money is. There are other kits available that say/claim they can do these or produce XX results.....but until there are a couple built and running great then I personally don't wanna be a guinea pig.....if indeed the work awesome and as good as mine then hell yeah I would do it...who wouldn't want to save $10-$15K on a build. Hope all this helps

JE PISTONS-$600
CROWER 280K RODS-$875
ROLLER CHAIN-$300
1MM OVER EXHAUST VALVES AND HEAD JOB-$300-$500
MTC OUTER BASKET-$450
MTC INNER BASKET-$400
MTC LOCK UP CLUTCH $400
HEAVY DUTY OUTPUT SHAFT $350
R&D BACKCUT AND WORKED TRANNY $1300
HEAVY VALVE SPRINGS $120
BILLET CAM ADJUSTER $50
BILLET OIL PAN $400
13mm STUDS-$150
BEARINGS-$200
HIGH PRESSURE OIL GEAR $125
CASE STUDS-$90
LABOR AND GASKETS $800-$1300

So see your are easily at $7,200.....wait but you want to add some cams and do some quality head porting.....well know your at $9500 and then add your $13,000 turbo kit.....you $850 AMS -1000 boost controller, $80 ECU reflashing, $200-$400 in gauges and senders, Innovate wideband $180....then your $300-$500 in labor for just the electronics and $1000 for the turbo install and $300-$600 for setup and dial in.....YOUR AT $23,500 now you need to buy a Busa so thats say $8,000 used....now your going to put a windscreen on it, grips, levers, pegs, swingarm, Steel brake cables and better pads, heavy duty chain, steel sprockets.....$2100. The above doesn't even fall into custom equipment because almost everyone with a turbo generally does these things or very close to it. You know have $35,900 in it and then you should probably budget $1,000 for other stuff you will end up adding or forgot about. Also you will wait generally 3-9 months for your bike to get back and hope its correct. See now why people never respond to retards that try and buy your 50K bike for 15K....Way I see it is that aftermarket goodies you usually get 50% value for so if you have $44K in a bike thats worth 8K you got a $30K market valued bike. But Forums can be some of the worst places to sell your stuff cause you have guys that think they can build 600HP turbo busas for 10K....and want to trade you their nephews 1988 rag top 5.0 mustang and $5K in cash. But its cool cause you don't come across big Hp turbo bikes very often and everybody who actually gets off a forum and quickly grabs a calculator will know what it cost to build one. You would be treading in very expensive and dangerous waters. 300HP has become normal for a turbo bike even 400HP is not to hard to get but not alot of 600HP bike been built and tuned. I think if you ask around any person with common sense will tell you I'm not pulling your leg about whats involved.

Last edited:
A SHEET LOAD I"m not being a jerk but I will only do this for a super ultra kit because there are just to many opinions and variables that can get put into it. THIS IS HOW I DID IT. Now you are going to even find people that say its overbuilt ect....but it did fine on the dyno and runs great so they can put there money where there mouth is and do a 600HP + build and see how it goes. Your also gonna have people say oh you just spent alot of money and I can do it for 20K less.....Even if you built the motor on your own and some how managed to know how to tune your bike you saving $2500 tops and that would count wiring up all your own stuff. The turbo kits are where the money is. There are other kits available that say/claim they can do these or produce XX results.....but until there are a couple built and running great then I personally don't wanna be a guinea pig.....if indeed the work awesome and as good as mine then hell yeah I would do it...who wouldn't want to save $10-$15K on a build. Hope all this helps

JE PISTONS-$600
CROWER 280K RODS-$875
ROLLER CHAIN-$300
1MM OVER EXHAUST VALVES AND HEAD JOB-$300-$500
MTC OUTER BASKET-$450
MTC INNER BASKET-$400
MTC LOCK UP CLUTCH $400
HEAVY DUTY OUTPUT SHAFT $350
R&D BACKCUT AND WORKED TRANNY $1300
HEAVY VALVE SPRINGS $120
BILLET CAM ADJUSTER $50
BILLET OIL PAN $400
13mm STUDS-$150
BEARINGS-$200
HIGH PRESSURE OIL GEAR $125
CASE STUDS-$90
LABOR AND GASKETS $800-$1300

So see your are easily at $7,200.....wait but you want to add some cams and do some quality head porting.....well know your at $9500 and then add your $13,000 turbo kit.....you $850 AMS -1000 boost controller, $80 ECU reflashing, $200-$400 in gauges and senders, Innovate wideband $180....then your $300-$500 in labor for just the electronics and $1000 for the turbo install and $300-$600 for setup and dial in.....YOUR AT $23,500 now you need to buy a Busa so thats say $8,000 used....now your going to put a windscreen on it, grips, levers, pegs, swingarm, Steel brake cables and better pads, heavy duty chain, steel sprockets.....$2100. The above doesn't even fall into custom equipment because almost everyone with a turbo generally does these things or very close to it. You know have $35,900 in it and then you should probably budget $1,000 for other stuff you will end up adding or forgot about. Also you will wait generally 3-9 months for your bike to get back and hope its correct. See now why people never respond to retards that try and buy your 50K bike for 15K....Way I see it is that aftermarket goodies you usually get 50% value for so if you have $44K in a bike thats worth 8K you got a $30K market valued bike. But Forums can be some of the worst places to sell your stuff cause you have guys that think they can build 600HP turbo busas for 10K....and want to trade you their nephews 1988 rag top 5.0 mustang and $5K in cash. But its cool cause you don't come across big Hp turbo bikes very often and everybody who actually gets off a forum and quickly grabs a calculator will know what it cost to build one. You would be treading in very expensive and dangerous waters. 300HP has become normal for a turbo bike even 400HP is not to hard to get but not alot of 600HP bike been built and tuned. I think if you ask around any person with common sense will tell you I'm not pulling your leg about whats involved.
:thumbsup:

finaly the light has been turned on to the unspoken costs of turbos. Thanks for the info and i hope everyone gets an idea of the costs of putting together a reliable turbo busa.

:thumbsup:

finaly the light has been turned on to the unspoken costs of turbos. Thanks for the info and i hope everyone gets an idea of the costs of putting together a reliable turbo busa.

Keep in mind this in my opinion and a top of the line setup street.....we are not talking pro-street here. Even though this kit makes more power than most of the pro-street bikes they run motec, cut frame, lightweight everything, suspenison, and all kinds of trick ****...so just add another 20K or so. This also doesn't apply to everyone in the world. Some guys are damn good DIY guys. They possibly can build there own turbo kit, motor, fab up the bike..what most can't do is build that A/W intercooler that RCC has that and sure as hell not going to build your own rods and pistons:rofl: so if you can save on the labor you cut down on the cost but unless you have extensive engineering background you aren't making SHEET and will have to buy the parts like everyone else. There are also other standalones than the motec to consider. Pinky is a big advocate of megasquirt and it seems to be a promising unit....just needs some actual guys out using and riding it that people know about and can see for themselves.

Back