knocking noise

chrisdivineblue

Registered
hey everyone. i am having a knocking noise that sounds like its coming from the rear of the bike when i am hitting the gas on my busa. its an 03' but when i put it up on the bike stands and try to listen for the knocking going throu the gears when but nothing. i even have my wife sit on the busa and i shift the gears listening but still nothing. it only make the knocking noise when i am riding. i just change the bearings out from the rear wheel. and the rod that goes throu the rimdoes have acouple of nicks on it could that make the knocking noise. oh, also i know i got to fix first and second gear too they are slipping badly. please help.

If it's in the rear and you just changed the bearings then it is most likely the Cush Drive Rubbers.

Under the hub chain side I think, my rubbers need to be changed there is a lot play there and it doesn't make a knocking noise

The cush drive are located behind the sprocket. They are the black half moon rubber pieces that insert in the hub and lock the sprocket in place.

are you sure its not connected to the slipping 1st & 2nd gears and transmitting through to the rear , could also be a worn chain and or sprocket

well i tighten the chain on my busa last night and this morning went riding and it seemed like the knocking gotten worst? what could that mean?

Do you have vid camera (GoPro)? If so, hang it off the rear pointing at the sprocket. And post it up so we can hear. It's a lot harder to explain a described sound versus a describe vision. It would help if we could hear it.

Re: knocking nosie

well i tighten the chain on my busa last night and this morning went riding and it seemed like the knocking gotten worst? what could that mean?

I would say its more than likely a chain issue , do you have a paddock stand? lift the rear wheel off the floor and turn wheel ( ENGINE OFF & IN NEUTRAL) see if you can hear any roughness or clunking as the chain runs free of the sprocket

I had an awful whining noise from mine which i was sure to be the transmission , turned out to be the chain

Good luck

dont have an vid camera. i did the lifted my rear wheel off the ground and rotated the tire and it really looks like the chain is the problem. the master link looks like one of its seal things is broken and when rolling over the sprocket makes a small noise/popping most of the time. like its catching when i am looking at it. so i am going to replace the chain and master link. going to try that and i will let you all know if thats it. thank you everyone for the help and if everone things it might be something else let me know thanks!

Back