knocking noise

@pipsco

my offer to you - when ever you and your busa are near to berlin contact me
and i spend an ear for your busa - i know the sound of the crankshafts bearings, if they are never more okay.

mon - fri , 09.30 am - 18.00 pm
+49 (0) 172 32 32 050
Do you also replace them yourself? And how much money/time will it cost? I’m from the Netherlands and want to go to germany on the bike maybe this year.

Do you also replace them yourself? And how much money/time will it cost? I’m from the Netherlands and want to go to germany on the bike maybe this year.

i once changed the crankshaft bearings - their costs for new bearings were relatively low - 5 pairs ~ 180 €

time?
it was a horrible, time wasting work - you do not want to do this work - at least i needed around 2 1/2 weeks and i am well "trained" by my experience of pulling the motor.
2 1/2 weeks because i had to order the new bearings after! messuring the old by "plastic gauge" - the bearings delivery itself needed 14 days.

for info:
just cleaning the crankcase sealing surfaces takes a good 1.5 - 2 hours.
they must be clinically clean or you will have an oil leaking motor.

what milage does your motor have?
i ask that way because a good friend sells (at hayabusaclub.com) at the moment a (complete) ´99 gen1 motor with only 40,000 km for 1300 €
and replacing the motor is so much easier than all the work you were expecting when changing the bearings.

Last edited:
i once changed the crankshaft bearings - their costs for new bearings were relatively low - 5 pairs ~ 180 €

time?
it was a horrible, time wasting work - you do not want to do this work - at least i needed around 2 1/2 weeks and i am well "trained" by my experience of pulling the motor.
2 1/2 weeks because i had to order the new bearings after! messuring the old by "plastic gauge" - the bearings delivery itself needed 14 days.

for info:
just cleaning the crankcase sealing surfaces takes a good 1.5 - 2 hours.
they must be clinically clean or you will have an oil leaking motor.

what milage does your motor have?
i ask that way because a good friend sells (at hayabusaclub.com) at the moment a (complete) ´99 gen1 motor with only 40,000 km for 1300 €
and replacing the motor is so much easier than all the work you were expecting when changing the bearings.
Just got 27000 km on the bike. If i’m near Berlin this year i will give you a call or text you. Curious If somebody knows the type of sound. It is exactly the same as this. But almost every garage tells me its a normal sound because of the play between some parts.

Just got 27000 km on the bike. If i’m near Berlin this year i will give you a call or text you. Curious If somebody knows the type of sound. It is exactly the same as this. But almost every garage tells me its a normal sound because of the play between some parts.

The distance from Spykcity to Zierikzee EH Motorservice is 1 hour for you , you can check Free if you a HCH Member , Greets from Middelharnis Kees VP at HCH

@kwaaiesaki

my calculation sheet (excel), based on suzuki’s time schedule, says that removing and opening the engine, including all accompanying work and reinstalling the engine, takes a good 20-22 hours.

plus the costs for new parts like 5 sets of crankshaft bearings (they all should be replaced same time if 1 is off limits) and so on.

I don't want to (pictorially said) "paint / draw devil´s face on the wall", but if things go really badly, a new (used) crankshaft is due, because there are no undersized bearings for this.

and
that's exactly the case I already have had some 2 years (or so) ago - not very funny - i stopped rebuilding the motor and simply sold the rest in parts.

I have an 06 hayabusa and I just replaced my stator as it was damaged by a shitty Chinese stator cover (don’t buy the clear one trust me) and when I got it all back together and put new oil in it, whenever I come to a stop light or stop to park or get gas etc. as long as it’s warmed up it and below 3000 rpm makes the same exact sound, an audible clunk and a vibration is felt in the bars, I would like to know more about this I never noticed it before and it makes me feel like the whole bike is just gonna die on me at any moment

Hi everyone, anyone got any idea what makes this knocking noise during tick over. smooth as hell when riding, no noises when cold only warm. checked for intake leaks, balance throttle bodies, new plugs, etc. no mods and standard exhaust. is this normal or am I overlooking something? oh and doesn't change when I pull the clutch in. thanks in advance.

So I do hear it but it doesn't sound like it's consistent. Like it's not always there, and it doesn't match the RPM.

The clues that I will go on is temperature observations. Oil is thinner at temp than cold.

To maybe go the bearing idea, change the oil to a thicker weight and see if that little extra thickness would quiet it down. If it did I'd be inclined to think a bearing is more runout than opened up. Side to side slop, not rotational slop.

How is the oil pressure? Center main I think is the thick fillet one. Also controls oil pressure? (Not savvy enough to know like others here will be).

Hi everyone, anyone got any idea what makes this knocking noise during tick over. (...)

hi folks
(sorry 4 my late answer)

to test/check the connecting rod bearings for possible play (they sound like klonk klonk), proceed as follows:

1. all spark plugs out
2. turn the crankshaft - clockwise ! - so that e.g. the 1st piston is at the top dead center
3. then turn the crankshaft exactly half a turn further - clockwise ! -
4. use a long screwdriver or similar to apply pressure to the piston through the plug hole
5. if the piston can only be pushed down a little - 1/10 can be felt - the connecting rod bearing of the 1st piston is defective
6. now repeat the job from 2. - 5. for the other 3 pistons

the connecting rod bearing diagnosed to be defective must be replaced.

if the engine is already out of frame and the gearbox is open, it is best to replace all 4 connecting rod bearings - to be on the safe side.

and what you should check right away are the crankshaft bearings, because the crankshaft is then also exposed.

for possible results / demages see here.

I have an 06 hayabusa and I just replaced my stator as it was damaged by a shitty Chinese stator cover (don’t buy the clear one trust me) and when I got it all back together and put new oil in it, whenever I come to a stop light or stop to park or get gas etc. as long as it’s warmed up it and below 3000 rpm makes the same exact sound, an audible clunk and a vibration is felt in the bars, I would like to know more about this I never noticed it before and it makes me feel like the whole bike is just gonna die on me at any moment
mine still does it to this day, never found out what causes it. bike runs fine and so smooth.

Hi everyone, anyone got any idea what makes this knocking noise during tick over. smooth as hell when riding, no noises when cold only warm. checked for intake leaks, balance throttle bodies, new plugs, etc. no mods and standard exhaust. is this normal or am I overlooking something? oh and doesn't change when I pull the clutch in. thanks in advance.

Did you ever find out what the noise was as mine does the same

Back