Knocking-Klunking

Busa45

Registered
I have an 02 Busa with about 24K miles. It just started making a knocking-klunking noise from time to time when first accelerating through the first few gears and then goes away as speed increases. The speed of the knock almost sounds like it matches the wheel rotation speed like something was stuck in the tire. I've checked a bunch of stuff on the bike and have read the postings on all the possible noise sources but can't find an exact match to my situation. The sound does not seem to match an engine speed sound (does not increase with engine RPM).

Going to my local bike shop tomorrow to discuss. Anyone have a similar problem???

Thanks, Busa 45.

exact same thing just started to happen to my 04. the knock I hear does not correlate to engine speed at all and is very random. I was thinking it was the chain splapping. Mine seems to be part of the drive train because I won't hear it if I drop into neutral or clutch it. ....let me know what you find.

Thanks, Wingding.
That was the first thing I checked and adjusted. Thought that was it, but the noise has returned.

If you haven't replaced your chain yet and were not religious about cleaning and lubing it, you probably have several kinks in the chain by now. It will would like a pop or a snap at low speeds when accelerating, just can't hear it when you get moving faster. Something to check anyway..
beerchug.gif

As I suspected, the chain has worn / stretched and a link or two don't match the sprocket teeth from time to time, especially after it warms up. Results in the noise that matches the chain / tire rotation speed when first accelerating. So, getting a new D.I.D chain and sprockets Saturday. Glad it's nothing serious or too expensive.

Glad to hear that. I finally got a rear stand and cleaned and oiled my chain yesterday. The klunking sound went away for me. Call me crazy but I swear its shifting smoother.

Back