knock, knock....

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
Knock, knock. Who's there? Oh, its my bottom end :banghead:

Yup, she's a knockin pretty good at idle. I heard a bit of it last fall,,but wasnt sure if it was a knock, a lop,,a low idle or what it was. Done a few miles this past week and its deff knockin. I've also got a funky oil leak from the clutch cover, not sure if its related or not, but another nail in the coffin regardless.

ForumRunner_20120315_203220.png

ForumRunner_20120315_203241.png

ForumRunner_20120315_203257.png

I've found a short block locally, just gotta scrap together the $$ to get it. Add some more $$ for a gasket set and hope the swap goes smoothly.
I have no clue why its all knocky and vibrating, its only got 30k on it, the last 10k of which have been pretty easy miles. I keep up on the oil and filter, did plugs and valves per the manual,,so who knows. I'm pretty sure its just my crap luck.
If anyone had the link to the shop manual handy, please post it up, I can't ever seem to find it. Oh, and any quick tips for swapping the head, starter and clutch over from the old to the new would be appreciated.
This is deff not how I wanted to start my riding season

Smellphone via Forum Runner

ForumRunner_20120315_203220.png

ForumRunner_20120315_203241.png

ForumRunner_20120315_203257.png

Well sell me that stuff we were talking about and that's the money you need:D but sucks it happened dude. At least it didn't happen right in the middle of riding season.

black diamond busa said:
Well sell me that stuff we were talking about and that's the money you need:D but sucks it happened dude. At least it didn't happen right in the middle of riding season.

That's been in the back of my mind all day, gonna try to scrape the cash without having to resort to that till I'm sure Im ready to sell it, but don't buy another one this week just in case. :lol:

Hit John up GIXERHP. Sry to hear brother

Here's hoping a clutch bolt worked free and ate your cover, but I know you're thinking you spun a bearing.

dadofthree said:
Hit John up GIXERHP. Sry to hear brother

I was giving him a chance to chime in on his own, but he'll hear about this one way or another.:whistle:
He did change my fork seals last bash, anyway we can make this his fault so he'll have to fix fo free? :rofl:

Drain and drop the pan. If there are gold specks in either you've spun a bearing. You can find a used crank pretty cheap if money is tight (mine is and that's what I did) and be back up and running soon. If you got the cash a 1441 (gen 2 crank+1397 bore) is the hot ticket!

I changed the oil the other night an it looked normal, actually still amber color, just wanted fresh oil to start the season. I'll give it a closer look tonight and see if I missed anything. Gonna peek around the clutch as well, hopefully that lil leak has something to do with the noise and is a simpler fix than a new motor. Thanks for the info guys :thumbsup:

if you need a crank, lmk.

I would do it in this order, pull clutch cover and check for clutch spring and stud backing out of hub, then if nothing there. leave cover off and drain oil into clean pan and look for gold. if no gold, pull clutch basket completely out could be springs on back of clutch basket and rivets broken on basket allowing gear to shift causing clunk..

GoldenChild said:
if you need a crank, lmk.

I would do it in this order, pull clutch cover and check for clutch spring and stud backing out of hub, then if nothing there. leave cover off and drain oil into clean pan and look for gold. if no gold, pull clutch basket completely out could be springs on back of clutch basket and rivets broken on basket allowing gear to shift causing clunk..

Well, that'll be my plan then. As I said I have the old oil, but its been through a not so clean drain pan, but there deff wasn't any metal debris in the pan, so ill check it too. I only have about 100miles on the current oil inside, would that be enough to gather some evidence of a bearing issue if I don't find anything in the older, more mileaged oil?

Before you worry about it too much,, take your clutch cover off and see if one of the bolts backed out and made a hole in the cover...

you sure something didnt come loose in the clutch housing and is knocking check that before you buy a new lower end... like golden said check ur clutch basket etc

Sorry to hear about this Frog, Sounds like you have some really good advice...

Hopefully its only minor clutch problem....:please:

That's the first thing I thought when I read the title lol. "Knock knock." I thought..."Who's bike?"

Lol sorry to hear, hopefully it's not as bad as you think.

If it's got a bearing going, it's gonna show you the gold...even if oil had 5 or a thousand miles on it.. get a piece of card board and let oil drain onto it as it runs in pan then wipe edge of card board off and walk under bright light with that cardboard and if you struck gold you will know it..

Well, that'll be my plan then. As I said I have the old oil, but its been through a not so clean drain pan, but there deff wasn't any metal debris in the pan, so ill check it too. I only have about 100miles on the current oil inside, would that be enough to gather some evidence of a bearing issue if I don't find anything in the older, more mileaged oil?

Back