Engine knocking noise at idle

Speed Barrier

Registered
When I arrived at my house with my new 06 Hayabusa I noticed at idle there was a knocking noise. When it put the bike in gear the knocking get louder, like a car engine with bad rod bearing or main bearings. If I rev the bike to 3000 rpm's it knocks all the way down to idle. I took the bike back to the dealership and they said they have never heard this knocking before (it is not the clutch basket rattle). They looked at it for about an hour and said it is mechanically sound and they will not do anything further. They also said it has "break in" oil in it that could lead to additional engine noised. At 150 miles I replaced the oil with 10W 40 and the knocking is still there at idle and from 3000 rmp's down. I have owned over 20 motorcycles in my life and have never heard an engine knock like this before. Has anyone else heard or had an engine knocking noise?
rock.gif

First of all "break in" oil is BS. It is just regular oil. Take it to another dealership.

Don

Mine knocks a little at idle and when engine breaking under 4000 rpm. Sounds like it is coming from the bottom/front of the bike. I am not worried about, there bikes are very noisey. I only have 700 miles on mine ('05). Still under warranty, so ride it like you stole it.

I'd find a different dealer just because of the break in oil BS.
I've had an 05 for more than a year, and I've never heard anything like you are describing.

+1 to what the guys above have said find another dealer. I have had two busas and neither have made any kind of loud knocking.

I beat the crap outta my 06 and dont hear this noise!

(knocking on wood as I post this!!)

I must ask a question after I read this one.....Mine does make a noise in the morning when I first crank it up.....It is a knocking noise, but when I pull in the clutch, it goes away...Only does it when cold. What is it? and what is the fix?

I think a large portion of the noises these things make is due to the fact that an all-aluminum engine has to do a bunch of "growing" as it warms up. Mine also sounds pretty busy until up to temp. You guys should hear a 700 inch race engine at idle. The thing sounds like parts should launch any second. We can be warming up at the track, and by-standers will ask, "what's wrong?" The valve clearance travels from .012" cold to .032" hot, and pushrods can deflect up to 1/4" or more on a pass and kiss the head gasket. As a general rule, noise without shavings or loss of oil pressure are just to be expected.

Your throttle bodies are out of synch. There are some great threads on here about how to do it yourself. Or the dealer can do it pretty quickly.

--Wag--

Back