Just got hit by a drunk driver....

First of all, glad you are ok.

Second, Do not sign anything from his insurance company before showing it to your insurance agent. His insurance company is going to send papers directly to you with all kinds of legal speak in them. They will try and get you to sign a form stating that you suffered no injuries and I wouldn't be surprised if they are underhanded about it. The cost of fixing or even replacing the bike is peanuts compared to the cost of nagging back injuries. Your signature on a form you don't know exactly what it is can release them from any medical liability if problems arise later on.

You can get a copy of the officer's report 24 hours after he filed it. Include this with the claim you file with your insurance company. And let them deal with his insurance company.

I have a buddy that was hit head on by a woman in a Mustang GT that was basically drag racing in the oncoming lane. She was trying to beat traffic by using the oncoming lane(in a no passing zone) as her personal passing lane. She was so fixated on the car she was trying to get around she never hit her brakes until after she ran him down. When it was over he was laying in the road behind her car and his bike was under her car between the front wheels. Her insurance company tried to by-pass his insurance company the very next day trying to get him to sign stuff. He was unavailable to speak with them as he was in surgery getting his knee and shoulder screwed and wired back together. But they were trying to low ball him on what they would pay on his medical bills.

Don't deal with his insurance company, let your insurance company deal with them. No matter what they say they aren't out to help you, quite the opposite in fact.

OK, heres the deal. The guy blew a .07 with technically is not drunk here in Illinois. .08 is drunk. He was issued an "OV" ticket along with the accident ticket. I'm not sure what an "OV" ticket is but the officer (which was a friend of mine!) said she couldnt arrest him but it is similar to ad DUI. Now, this accident stuff is all new to me. The bike is at the shop getting an estimate. What do I do after that? I have his insurance info on the police report. Do I contact them personally or does my insurance agent handle it?

First: I am glad you are ok

Second: Lawyer up brother. Let a professional handle it for you.

Last edited:
Back