Just got hit by a drunk driver....

OK, heres the deal. The guy blew a .07 with technically is not drunk here in Illinois. .08 is drunk. He was issued an "OV" ticket along with the accident ticket. I'm not sure what an "OV" ticket is but the officer (which was a friend of mine!) said she couldnt arrest him but it is similar to ad DUI. Now, this accident stuff is all new to me. The bike is at the shop getting an estimate. What do I do after that? I have his insurance info on the police report. Do I contact them personally or does my insurance agent handle it?

Chris , If you have a copie of the report with all his info I would suggest getting ahold of your insurance company 1st and inform them of the situation, Then I would contact his insurance company & see what they will do to make it right for you.

Last edited:
glad you were not hurt worse then you were.

like NK said...contact your Insurance and his.

OK, heres the deal. The guy blew a .07 with technically is not drunk here in Illinois. .08 is drunk. He was issued an "OV" ticket along with the accident ticket. I'm not sure what an "OV" ticket is but the officer (which was a friend of mine!) said she couldnt arrest him but it is similar to ad DUI. Now, this accident stuff is all new to me. The bike is at the shop getting an estimate. What do I do after that? I have his insurance info on the police report. Do I contact them personally or does my insurance agent handle it?

Let your insurance company handle it...he rear ended YOU...should be a slam dunk. :thumbsup:

I'm glad you're OK big guy. Don't get cheated in this whole mess.

I was just out in the quad cities last week, would have loved to have met up.

Glad you are OK Chris, we were extremely worried about you for a while. Very glad you are ok brother.

glad you're alright! i'm almost certain your insurance company handles the contact between both parties. i hope you get full coverage for the bike. talk about "dodging the bullet" for both of you.

Rear enders scare the heck out of me, check out this post.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/107867-what-expect.html

Keep a diary of your 'pain and suffering', make sure you get checked out for that stiff back and make sure there are no long term issues because you don't want to release them from covering future medical expenses if you have issues.

Best of luck and make them pay, drunk on a cell phone sounds like you won some sort of lottery AND you are still alive to collect!

PS

Is there a rash of this stuff going around? ???

+1 bazillion. Don't sign anything, including the backs of checks.

--Wag--

contact your insurance company and tell them you got hit and he was issued a ticket and give them the information. They will chase the other guys issurance from there, and you should not have to do anything

Dude- GO SEE A DOCTOR NOW! You mite 'think' you're ok man....back stuff can be decieving tho-I have issues still as a result of my prev. get-offs...therapy n chiropracters aint cheap man, go see your primary, get a full check-up AND BILL HIS INS. for the whole thing, too!:rulez: Contact your agent and get the bike sent to a shop that can mount the Busa in a jig to check the whole frame/arm for any chassis 'tweaks'-dont just let some guy eye-ball your ride n write it off 'looks ok to me' because THEY WILL if you dont try'n stop them!

Very glad to hear you are mobile n relatively uninjured-but get on the horn w/your Dr. and your agent, asap-it'll save YOU lots of $ n grief in the long run:thumbsup:

Dude- GO SEE A DOCTOR NOW! You mite 'think' you're ok man....back stuff can be decieving tho-I have issues still as a result of my prev. get-offs...therapy n chiropracters aint cheap man, go see your primary, get a full check-up AND BILL HIS INS. for the whole thing, too!:rulez: Contact your agent and get the bike sent to a shop that can mount the Busa in a jig to check the whole frame/arm for any chassis 'tweaks'-dont just let some guy eye-ball your ride n write it off 'looks ok to me' because THEY WILL if you dont try'n stop them!

Very glad to hear you are mobile n relatively uninjured-but get on the horn w/your Dr. and your agent, asap-it'll save YOU lots of $ n grief in the long run:thumbsup:

All in the works Scott. Thanks for the words!

Back