Just got a 2006 hayabusa and need some advice!

djdilliodon

Registered
Just picked up a 2006 blue and silver hayabusa which is basically stock accept for an old school dual micron exhaust on it. Bike has 9500 miles on it so it’s done some sitting in a garage. Bike is super clean and I can see the oil is fresh along with the filter. The coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, line etc seem to be all original. I’m sure the plugs are original as well. The air filter is also original. Aside from changing the plugs, coolant, brake & clutch lines along with the fluid, and air filter, what else should I be doing to bring this thing to perfection? Had to adjust the idle as it was at 900 rpm. So far loving this thing and boy what a difference compared to my 2013 600rr . Not only is this thing wicked fast it’s so comfortable compared! Should of gotten one sooner! Thanks for any help! Hopefully the pics work!

AED77A63-EBF7-492D-949C-AD0FB3B59156.jpeg

ABBD2394-CA5D-4AEF-9B2C-3D56F1CAF2D0.jpeg

Congrats! My god, 9500 miles? As long as the tires are good, I think you know all you need at this point. i have about 15,000 on my 08 and I haven't changed plugs yet. Thanks for reminding me.

Looks nice. I see a custom seat and tail tidy too. Did you get the hump and grab bar too? Either way make sure all four bolts, two on each side inside the rear cowl under the hump, are there. You need all four with or w/o the hump or grab bar in place. If it were mine I’d change every fluid, all filters, the plugs (get a new cam cover gasket first) and like you, have the brake lines replaced. My 06 has 70,000+ miles on it and I’ve had Galfer lines on it almost since new. I’ve also used Amsoil and K&N oil filters with 5,000 mile change intervals also since new. Just don’t use the nut to tighten it, just loosen it. OEM air filter though. To vastly improve the stopping power and to go along with new brake lines I’d also add EBC HH pads all around. Oh, check the manufacture date on the tires and replace them if they’re too old. Michelin PR model tires are popular.

Looks nice. I see a custom seat and tail tidy too. Did you get the hump and grab bar too? Either way make sure all four bolts, two on each side inside the rear cowl under the hump, are there. You need all four with or w/o the hump or grab bar in place. If it were mine I’d change every fluid, all filters, the plugs (get a new cam cover gasket first) and like you, have the brake lines replaced. My 06 has 70,000+ miles on it and I’ve had Galfer lines on it almost since new. I’ve also used Amsoil and K&N oil filters with 5,000 mile change intervals also since new. Just don’t use the nut to tighten it, just loosen it. OEM air filter though. To vastly improve the stopping power and to go along with new brake lines I’d also add EBC HH pads all around. Oh, check the manufacture date on the tires and replace them if they’re too old. Michelin PR model tires are popular.

got the hump, grab bar, and passenger seat. I took the grab bar off and still have the bolts for it. Tires are Dunlop Q2 with perfect tread and chicken strips . These babies are vintage with a date code of 2009 . These gotta be replaced for sure! I had the ebc HH pads on my 600rr and they definitely made difference. Ordered a head gasket for it and got the plugs along with a filter. Definitely gotta do shorty levers. This thing grabs nothing like a cable clutch! It’s all the way at the end and it’s feels so far away . I need it closer to the grips!

@djdilliodon

welcome newbie :)

first of all, get the workshop manual for the gen1 including all extensions before you move just one more screw - too much damage can happen if you do not observe the specified torques.

try searching here at the org and you will find it as a download.

then please get my summarized maintenance sheet of gen1 & 2
it is my summary of 13 years of experience at busa riding and repair.

and some little hints for / about the busa aside to the manual you´ll find here at my homepage.

good luck
the old man
zeigefinger.gif

from across the pond

Last edited:
Where is a good spot to pick up a shop manual!? Also around how long do the clutches last on these?
Clutches are pretty golden, but the 2nd and 6th gear will wear out. You should be fine with your clutch pack if the oil has been maintained and the last guy shifted well, LOL
I switched mine out at 26000-ish and just wasted my money...but my 2nd gear slips out at 7k RPMS if I give it too many beans.

^^this is @Berlin Germany website and has a ton of good information

Clutches are pretty golden, but the 2nd and 6th gear will wear out. You should be fine with your clutch pack if the oil has been maintained and the last guy shifted well, LOL
I switched mine out at 26000-ish and just wasted my money...but my 2nd gear slips out at 7k RPMS if I give it too many beans.

^^this is @Berlin Germany website and has a ton of good information

does anyone make a stronger 2nd and 6th gear? I can ride till it starts giving an issue but wouldn’t mind sourcing the parts for it early!

Back