Need some advice and help PLEASE!

BubbaWood

Registered
As some of you may know i upgraded finally to a 2003 Suzuki SV1000s. Love the bike, the way it sounds, handles looks, the whole 9 yards and i got a smoking deal on it price wise. Well upon riding it, i noticed in the beginning that i was having a pulsating feeling in the front brakes. Took it back to the dealer in which they told me to flush the lines refill them and it would be fine. Did so and noticed it continued to do it so they took it in and inspected it and said there was just brake dust built up in between the pad and rotor and that it would pass after a bit. Well its gotten worse so i went for a second opinion from a better dealer and found out i have a bent rotor but theyre not sure if its just one or both. (i know long story for something yall coulda told me here)

Heres what i need help with. I was wondering if yall know of a website where i can find good break rotors for a decent price? Ive checked iron pony and a few others but im not really finding what im looking for. I also have never had to replace rotors and am unsure which kind i should go with (brand, style, etc.) i would rather not buy something id have to replace due to flimsy performance. I know this sounds like a simple thing to figure out but im having a hard time with it i just lost my job my mothers health is deteriorating i got discharged from the military and im having a rough time focussing on tasks at hand. Like i said im not looking for sympathy just any advice you could give me or any help as far as what i need to do when replacing them cuz i do not have the money to pay the shop to do it. Any help you guys/gals could give me would be greatly appreciated. thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully being able to point me in the right direction.

-Bubba Wood

Pashnit runs a lot of deals with aftermarket braking components. I'd also check with Justin at Honda East Toledo, especially if you want OEM parts.

You can't go wrong with either of those guys. :thumbsup:

alright ill give em a look see thanks for the response i appreciate it. are rotors difficult to replace?

Id say ebay or the SV forum for a used set of rotors, they must be out there for a good price, I just glanced and saw some options for not too bad of a price. Maybe cross check some part numbers for other bikes for more options.

Sorry to hear about the bad turn things have taken man, Im in a similiar boat. All we can do is keep on keepin' on and do our best to make things better.

yea ive checked on ebay and found some sets but im not sure if the price is too much or if theyre even trust worthy parts like i said ive never dealt with a problem like this and when it comes to parts and brands its like im in a foreign country and nothing makes sense lol

also ive tried to get on the sv forum but they charge to be a member and i dont see the point in that i enjoy being a part of this forum and the people here are alot nicer and more trustworthy i messages an admin on the sv forum with questions and he was quite rude and said some pretty effed up things was not impressed

alright ill give em a look see thanks for the response i appreciate it. are rotors difficult to replace?

If you can take of the wheel, you can replace the rotor. 6 bolts, likely 6mm allen head, hold it to the wheel. Assuming you have a stand or access to one, you are good too go!:thumbsup:

If you can take of the wheel, you can replace the rotor. 6 bolts, likely 6mm allen head, hold it to the wheel. Assuming you have a stand or access to one, you are good too go!:thumbsup:

ok sounds simple enough ill have to have chrisjp gimme a hand as far as a stand goes i just wasnt sure if there was like any lubrication or seals involved i feel like an idiot with all these questions and what not even though it seems like a simple fix and all...but i guess the only stupid questions are those not asked

You should get a service manual on your book so you can get the torque specs. I know also some guys like to use blue loctite on the allen bolts that hold on the rotors. I agree with Rooster that you should maybe check out ebay and see if you cant pick up a nice pair of used 1's if money is an issue

i keep finding used ones but theyre bent and i aint trying to keep replacing em you know what i mean im searching all through the thousands of listings as we speak for parts for sv1000s on ebay in hopes of finding some that arent bent and as far as the book goes im set on that they actually gave me one this time lol last time i bought a bike they didnt even give me one i had to purchase one

Alot of times you just have to have patience on Ebay and narrow down your search to find exactly what your looking for. Also do some cross checking and see if any other bikes rotors are compatible with yours and you could look for those on ebay as well. Where were you looking at on ebay for those rotors?? I just found a used set of front rotors for your bike that says they are in good conditions and not bent for $113 heres the item number 380541626240

will the busa rotors work on a SV??? if so i have a full set with low miles and i mean low

Actually, for the SV, they MIGHT. Take some measurments Bubba, let Mo-Busa know. I'm sure you know where to measure. I think they might work though

ill have to check tomorrow takin care of my mom today and tonight so i cant get to the bike till tomorrow but i will definitely let you know

ok so i looked up specs and the busa runs dual 320mm disc rotors with 6 piston calipers and the sv runs dual 310mm with 4 pitson calipers not sure if that will make a difference? like i said not mechanically inclined but i can turn a wrence but i will check the measurements tomorrow as far as the spacing and mounting goes unless you think thats a waste of time? like i said from the information ive gathered i cant confirm nor deny if they are compatible because i have no clue lol

Actually, for the SV, they MIGHT. Take some measurments Bubba, let Mo-Busa know. I'm sure you know where to measure. I think they might work though

Just lookin at pics of SV rotors, the have a convex/concave center portion where as the Busa rotors are flat :banghead:

You don't want to throw money @ it if it is not the real problem. If you can get the front up on a stand, and use a STAND INDICATOR to measure the runout on the discs while you spin the wheel, compare to specification. Could be a wheel bearing, loose or improper assembly...not safe. It is possible that someone could press a rotor flat for you if it is bent from a drop or something.

If it were me, I'd call or drop into your dealer and find out what other bikes have the same rotors. I can almost guarantee that more than one suzuki bike has the very same rotor as your SV. Once you know what bikes take the same (I believe the GSXR family and SV family use the same rotor) rotor it will be easy to find a cheap set on ebay. I may even have a set of used ones I'd donate to you?

Good Luck!

Sorry about your mom.

I did some research, You could use the busa breaks BUT you'd have to do a LOT of work to do it that's prolly not worth it. Gixxer 1000's a good way to go. Or you could just get a new bike............ maybe a Busa?

If someone asks why you traded it in, just tell them what I told people about my truck:

1. It was filthy as hell
2. Tire pressure was low
3. It needed an oil change
or
4. Almost out of gas!

Back