Okay everyone,,, need some advice!!!

Bruno44052

Registered
Alright,, last September I did a trip to Deal's Gap. It was a meet for a forum that a good friend of mine frequents(Z1000 rider's)...

Well anyways, I went on my Busa, and had an absolute blast by the way!

Okay here's the dilemma.. My bike is not set-up for this at all!!!

It handles and rides great on the street and at the track, but in the twisties... NOT SO MUCH!!! LoL

We are planning two more trips for this coming year and I want to go with my guns loaded,,,, if you know what I mean!!!

While riding the roads out there I had to rely on the fact my bike way outpowers all of theirs, but getting into and through the middle of the corners was rough to say the least, corner exit out and through the straights was no issue...

I know this is totally wrong but this is how my bike is...

2006 Busa
Stock swingarm
Lowered 2" in the rear, stock height front (rear preload is pretty soft, have to count the threads to give you exact numbers)
16/40 Gearing
Helibars
Brock's Alienhead
PCV with Brock's map
Michelin Power Pures front and rear ( Stock sizes)

At the drag strip I have went 9.70's at 147 so I think the bike is running pretty good for the mods..

So here's the thing...

What changes are needed to get this thing better in the turns??
Suspension, gearing, tires, or anything else you guys know of!!!

I'm open to whatever!
And I'm most definately not afraid to push this thing to it's limits...

Here are a few pics from last years trip, I did make it edge to edge on both tires, but my corner speeds were way lower than the guy's on 1000's,,, I know i'm riding a Hayabusa but that's not a valid answer in my book... I will go back this coming year and show those guy's that Busa's can handle!!!!!

gaptrip1.jpg

gaptrip2.jpg

gaptrip3.jpg

Any and all advice is appreciated, I'm here asking because you guy's are the best!!!!

Thanks,
Bruno

Lowered 2" in the rear, stock height front rear preload is pretty soft

There's your problem right there. :laugh:

1. Raise back to stock or +1 raising links.

2. Set your sag if you are over 180lbs you might need stiffer fork springs.

cheers
ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what kml said.... soupy's sell a +1 raising links and you can buy them off their ebay site. Race tech sells springs for ur front forks you can buy the spring rate needed for your weight. Stiffer forks will hold up in the turns better. You can also run a 55 series tire instead. That will also make a difference in handling.

Other things to make your bike handle better in the turns is to lighten it up.
Lithium battery
Light weight aftermarket rims
Aluminum subframe
Aftermarket steering damper

Judging from those pics you need some upgrades yourself.... jeans and a t-shirt ain't gonna cut it when your hitting the dragon on a busa :whistle:

The above advice is perfect. Unfortunately you will be going the opposite direction from your current mods. Here's what I did to my 2012. It was simple, inexpensive and very effective at making the Hayabusa a perfect bike for twisties, for those of us who are into them.

1. 1.0 or 1.1 kg/mm fork springs as the fronts are way too soft. I went with RaceTech springs which were about $100. I went with 15w synthetic fork oil.
2. 1" riser link (Schnitz Racing) $60. The rear spring rate is alright stock.
3. +2 or +3 for the rear sprocket. Puts you in the sweet spot for stability and good turn in.
4. Good tires! I'm on my third set of Dunlop Q3's. I recommend the 190/55/17 for the rear for some extra clearance.
5. I have Vortex rearsets to raise the footpeg. Sato also recommended $450

Good luck!

Great advice everyone!!! Anand all tips are appreciated!!!

1busa... I totally agree with you, I was not prepared for the trip.. I had never done that efore and wasn't sure what to bring.
Next year will definately be different!!!

Just wanting to get my bike right,,, I hve the gear to wear, just didn't bring it,, when I was sked to go I presumed it was more of a general vacation type ride...

Anyone intrested in joining, we are planning for May 31st- June 3rd... Our group will be staying at Fontana Village...
But the more the better!!! Pm me if your intrested!!! Show these boys that the Busa's do rule!!!!

Have you already set up your bike's suspension to your weight and riding style/preferences?? Do not take this the wrong and mean no disrespect at all: In group rides, I ALWAYS "ride my ride" and refuse to get myself sucked in (knowingly or not) to keep up or "beat" other riders. Have fun. Ride safe.

There are adjustments needed here but it's not in the bike, it's in your attitude. You are setting yourself up for an ambulance ride. Making a race out of backroad fun with your friends is never a good idea. Often it leads to a painful experience.

Lowering your bike in the rear slows the turning as well as running wide on corner exits, not to mention restrictions on lean angle and suspension compliance but there's no reason you can't have fun and enjoy what you have with your friends. If you want your bike to behave better in corners, put it back to stock form.

The solution here is not to let your enthusiasm overwhelm your skills! Keep in mind "The fastest guy on the streets is rarely the best rider, simply the one willing to take the most chances"!

Oh I understand what you guys are saying totally!
I just want to make the bike more compliant for twistie roads.
And it drives me nuts that guys down their saying, "if you were on a different bike you'd have much more fun"...

But I see what you all are saying!!!

I understand your dilemma. The way your bike sits at the moment is far from confidence inspiring. As some have said, put your bike back to stock form and work on any upgrades you desire from there. In bone stock form your busa handles pretty dang well if the twisty thingies are properly set. Once your suspension is properly set, put a zip tie around a fork leg. If you find your forks are bottoming out then heavier springs are a must. When your forks are bottomed out the only suspension left is in the flex of your tire and loss of traction is usually not far away.

If you have friends who poke you about your choice of bike, just let it roll off your shoulders and tell them it's all about the "Fun Factor" not the speed! Proper attitude makes a huge difference in quality and performance during any ride, street or track! :thumbsup:

I have to agree with Tuf, besides, who said you cant have fun a busa never rode one.

171649.jpg

KRS_3273.jpg

I've replaced the fork oil with heavier weight and set the suspension up for me. I then went with a 43 tooth rear sprocket to shorten the the wheelbase. Next was a 55 series rear tire. Also, get some gear and get your weight off the bike and into the turns. Learning to ride correctly in the turns helps out greatly. Pic of me last year at the gap.

01.jpg

You are looking pretty good that Mule!

You must be a tall dude cause those britches don't fit you very well :laugh:

You are looking pretty good that Mule!

You must be a tall dude cause those britches don't fit you very well :laugh:

36" inseam doesn't work with off the shelf pants. I've since added velcro on down the leg to move the sliders down some. They hit dead center now.:thumbsup: I hope to have a custom suit made this spring.

Back