Just bought a gen 2

Andy92

Registered
Hi all,

New to the forum.

Bought an early orange and black Gen 2, had 7 previous owners so may be someone on here familiar with the bike.

I've been told it has some history with racefit exhausts, using this bike to develop their slip-on cans, was hoping it had 1 previous old man owner, guess not!

Wheels painted gold shortly after it was registered in 2008 I'm guessing.

Just doing a few maintenance bits on the bike and noticed the tubes for the plugs were very sandy, is this common? How does sand manage to get there in such a wet country.
I've also replaced a dirty old k&n with standard suzuki filter for better/safer filtration.

I'm located in Dunfermline now, if anyone knows a good garage to get the fork seals replaced and wheels powder coated back to black.

Cheers Andy
20201112_130850.jpg
20201028_164316.jpg

Welcome

7 owner....well good luck i guess.

Whats the mileage?

Regarding the sand- I live at the ocean. - I have never had sand anywhere in there....

Welcome, nice ride...I was going to ask where the hell Dunfermline was but just Googled it so now I know...

Looks to be in pretty good condition with stock exhaust still.

As for the sand-beats me, maybe there is lots of dirt on the roads and it got washed in there when it was ridden in the rain???

Welcome, nice ride...I was going to ask where the hell Dunfermline was but just Googled it so now I know...

Looks to be in pretty good condition with stock exhaust still.

As for the sand-beats me, maybe there is lots of dirt on the roads and it got washed in there when it was ridden in the rain???
Good guess
It does look like it's been ridden in all weather. May need a new mid section exhaust as I think they're cheap steel rather than stainless and mine is corroded.
Other than that, she's a lovely bike and glad to be a Busa owner.

beautiful color! IDK about the sand...I find dust and a few specks under the airbox once a year when I check the plugs, but never like that

Sand...7 owners...bike was in the Middle East. Some guy got sick of losing at the camel races,bought a Busa?
Somebody was mixing concrete in a bucket,then used the bucket to wash the Busa?
That is my 3rd favorite color scheme in all of the 21 years. :thumbsup:
:welcome: to the Org. Hope you blasted some air in them holes before pulling the plugs :D
Nice to have you aboard,we have a few Scots on the board,one is building a Busa streetfighter,very cool lad. My name's Andy,they call me,
Rubb.

Welcome to the org, nice looking bike but don't worry about the 7 owners since your mileage is low enough that they couldn't of ride it to much. Mines a 2014 that i bought left over in 2016 and has almost 10k more then yours.

@Andy92

hi scottish man :thumbsup: and welcome

little help you may find here at my homepage (translated by google so some links don´t work properly - sorry)

my first recomm. was to get the K&N back outa the crap box and back into your busa.
believe in me - a longer lasting better flowrate you can´t get.
at around 25kmiles its is nice to clean it with pressed air and put it back
at ~ 55kmiles clean deeply and re-oil it with the filter cleaning accessories like K&N descibes it on their homepage (translated by google) and use it again the next tens of thousands of miles.

sand / dust / mud around the plugs is more or less normal. pull em and blow out the space around the sparks with 8-10 bar pressed air and all will be nice.

but what is frightening me a bit is the 7 owners-move
in ~ 12 years over the, i would say, low mileage of 28k miles only . hmmmmmmmmmmmm

if so many times moved from one owner to the next i personally would do all the maintenance i list in my sheet here to be 100% sure that the tech is in best condition.

and please follow this site a.s.a.p.
control the studs at the very first - no matter what the pre-owner told you!

does this gen2 have the latest rectifier? suzuki had here in germany two product recalls in, i mean, 2009 and 2010.

and i hope you got your new darling for a stingy price (7 pre´s) ;)

good luck with her :)

Attachments

• Maintenance-Schedule_summarized _Gen_I_&_II.pdf
    375.4 KB · Views: 84
@Andy92

again me - lool -

for these very nice curvy roads there in the north of the isle you should read my recomms about agility at the "chassis" register.

with all that 3 changes (nose down / rear up / 760 mm wide superbike-bar) the busa gives you the feeling like a 200 kilogram weighted bike,
so easy ride- and steerable it becomes and no loss of straight-on-stability at highways even over any speedlimits.
:thumbsup:
promised!

You have the best color ever made but yeah, you really need to get those wheels black again.

I've never removed the stick coils on my busa but as Berlin said, you would be best to blow those spark plug wells out before removing a plug. You should have no problem doing that with an inexpensive blowgun attachment. I have done a test by blowing down a 200 ml graduated cylinder with floor dry gravel at the bottom. I discovered that blowing with higher pressure from above did not remove the gravel as well as using lower pressure that came out of a long, larger diameter tube that was inserted to near the bottom. I would do both treatments just to be sure. I doubt you will have a problem blowing particles as light in weight as sand. How the sand got there? Probably riding in wet conditions as you said. Maybe one owner had to operate the bike on a gravel road routinely. Has the plastic barrier above the radiator been removed? I took mine off to save weight and I don't see sand on top of the motor but I avoid rain as much as possible and I'm sure we all would rather not ride on dirt roads.

@Berlin Germany , K&N recommends a blow job at 25K miles,then a clean/re-oil at 55K miles. IDK man. Suzuki says replace the OEM filter at 11K miles (your PDF). How much air is getting thru a dirty filter at 25K miles ?
I like my A/F ratio to be pretty precise. My motor was built up and a K&N installed on day one. It was dyno tuned. Runs mint. How would it be running with a filter that has 25K miles of dirt attached to it? Then at 55K miles it needs a "deep clean" and re-oil.
eye brow.gif
Because of the material they are made of,I dont think it hurts to clean them often. They do filtrate better with microscopic particles attached,but not thick road dirt,bugs,etc.
@Andy92 if yer not a fan of a re-usable filter,perhaps pass it on to a mate,they last a lifetime and some riders love 'em. They cost what 60 pound over there?
Rubb.

@rubbersidedown

years ago i got the chance to test the k&n at a parts dealer shop (www.louis.de)
"test" bench was : filter / fan blowing through via a messuring flow gauge

i put my hand onto the filter (the bench desciption asked for that), locking by that ~50% of the filters surface (my hand area was ca. half the size of that k&n) and the meassured volume dropped to around 60-70%
so my hand (half sized of the filter´s surface) simulated a "closing" of the filter area to ca. 50% - similar to mudded by dust, flys and other crap.

in my fj1200 (carburator) now i use the k&n now for ca. 15-17 years / ca. 80000 km without any probs / issues
i blew it free all ca. 2-3 years due to time of use / not regarding the milage
and cleaned it deep and re-oiled it once i guess 4 or 5 years ago and anything was pretty / nice / proper.
at my busa (injection) i do it similary till i ride it.

the fuel / air mixture is only touched absolutely minimal, so that damage to the engine through mixed emaciation (due to the filter) is excluded.

so to save money this permanent filters like k&n, bmc or else are the very first choice - in my view.

nearly all my buddies in the forums (fj1200 & busa) and around me here in berlin use these permanent filters without any issues .

the milage in my pdf i took over from the k&n homepage / their assembling description

@rubbersidedown

years ago i got the chance to test the k&n at a parts dealer shop (www.louis.de)
"test" bench was : filter / fan blowing through via a messuring flow gauge

i put my hand onto the filter (the bench desciption asked for that), locking by that ~50% of the filters surface (my hand area was ca. half the size of that k&n) and the meassured volume dropped to around 60-70%
so my hand (half sized of the filter´s surface) simulated a "closing" of the filter area to ca. 50% - similar to mudded by dust, flys and other crap.

in my fj1200 (carburator) now i use the k&n now for ca. 15-17 years / ca. 80000 km without any probs / issues
i blew it free all ca. 2-3 years due to time of use / not regarding the milage
and cleaned it deep and re-oiled it once i guess 4 or 5 years ago and anything was pretty / nice / proper.
at my busa (injection) i do it similary till i ride it.

the fuel / air mixture is only touched absolutely minimal, so that damage to the engine through mixed emaciation (due to the filter) is excluded.

so to save money this permanent filters like k&n, bmc or else are the very first choice - in my view.

nearly all my buddies in the forums (fj1200 & busa) and around me here in berlin use these permanent filters without any issues .

the milage in my pdf i took over from the k&n homepage / their assembling description
Understood Frank :thumbsup: I was just suggesting cleaning it more. I think K&N advertising is geared at lazy people. :laugh:
I love my K&N...

q.jpg

Rubb.

Back