HELP! JUST BOUGHT A 2002 Silver/Gray Busa

Scottrod

Registered
newbie.gif

I just bought a 2002 Busa with 9400 miles on it.  I think I got a fairly decent deal on it, but it needs a right side lower fairing.  If anyone has a set of 2002 Gray/Silver fairings let me know.  It also has frame sliders so the previous owner OF COURSE chopped holes in the panels to get them on, which is why i'd like to buy two panels.

Besides needing a set of fairings, I also need a good suggestion for an aftermarket tail light.  The previous owner put the stock taillight inside the housing and it looks somewhat recessed, if anyone knows what i'm talking about, I do NOT like the look.  I picked up the bike and left town for a month, talk about a bitch!  I don't even get to tweak it till I come home in a month!  Does anyone know of a really good LED taillight/turnsignal combo?  He has aftermarket turnsignals on that are LED but like I said the tail light itself is now INSIDE the housing so it looks recessed.

NOW, for suggestions.  It needs a rear tire, i'm probably going to replace BOTH tires at once just to be safe.  Tire suggestions?  I want something REALLY grippy.  Also needs an oil change, any suggestions on oil?  ALSO, should I change the chain since i'm the new owner of the bike and I don't know the history?  I remember reading something about a REALLY good chain that's like $150, any suggestions?

The bike has one of those plate mounts that mount it sideways and i'm not a big fan of that, are there any aftermarket plate mounts for under the tail?

What tune-up stuff should I have done beside what I have mentioned?  I really appreciate any help and suggestions made....

ALSO, since it's a 2002 should I have some starter thing done?  I hear you guys talking about the starter possibly blowing up the motor with a 99 to 2002?  What parts do I need and how much from where?

ONE more thing...If I replace the panel on the busa with another 2002 Silver/Gray panel, will the paint match or do they have different shades of paint from the factory? Should I just say screw it and just get the fairings painted custom colors? If I get the fairings painted custom colors will it lower the value of the bike? If I get the bike painted can I order the suzuki decals and put them over top of my custom color?

First
post-52-02136-welcome.gif
newbie.gif

Now on to your first question, We need to see pics of your tail light in order to tell if you have a stocker or did the prev owner change the under tail? As far as tires go I would check with the board sponsors (GPW, Street n Track) They will set you up with what you need and also have some dang good prices. Also changing the chain is a good idea as you dont know if the prev owner beat on it, if it breaks you will need alot more then just a chain. Feel free to use the search button at the top right, you will find more info then you can read in a year on just about any topic.
Good luck, and be safe.

IIRC GoldenChild has painter plastics, probably your best bet.

Clear Alternatives has an LED combo taillight and turn signals, available in smoke or clear lens, and ribbed or smooth.

Tire opinions vary widely, mostly dependent on your riding style. Anything from Metezler M1 or M3, Diablo, Qualifiers, Pilot Powers or Pilot 2CT's.

Chain. You can measure the chain like in the manual for stretch, if its out of limits than replace, if not then your just doing preventive maintenance. GoldenChild, GPW and Charles from Street-N-Track amongst others all carry chains.

Try the fender eliminator kit for plate mount, and then you could always pm with how much you want for the side mount one you have now
smile.gif

Spark Plugs, and Air Filter (unless its been replaced with a K&N or BMC (or similar) washable filter). Look into having the Throttle bodies synch'd and the valve lash checked/adjusted.

No clue on the starter issue, sorry (I have an 05'). Welcome to the .Org

Charlie.

lot of ppl using the synthetic oils Mobil1 or ams oil is used...the tail light, I use hot body undertail, but there is a many choice that you have...Aliens or Topgun, bunch more...
most undertail set comes with plate mounting kits...
as far as tires, set of Qualifiers or pilot powers are the generally picked by street riders, Qualifiers are the newer gen. ( both tires have a dual compounded...)
this is for general, and when you get to the detail in you will find more finer stuff...as you get deeper N deeper...
wink.gif

Hey
aboard. Oil, tires, chain, and fairings! all can be gotten from board sponsors with no worry about what you are getting! You get the best from the best folk rite here! But 2 questions
rock.gif
Where is the pics and why do you want to get ride of the sliders?
all_coholic.gif

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies thus far! I really appreciate all the input! I'm probably going to go with a clear alternatives taillight from what i've seen so far. I KNOW, I KNOW, don't be mad that there are no pictures! I had to fly to florida for work because of the tornados! I picked up the bike, unloaded it off my friends truck, then rode it from the driveway through the back yard and parked it in the shed while i'm gone.

It was actually pretty interesting trying to ride a freaking busa though a flat, snowy, back yard with a completely bald tire! I ended up falling on my ass once, but it didn't damage the bike as I sacrificed myself and made sure it landed on me instead of the ground...lol. Good times. My buddy was laughing at me and said that it would have been priceless to have some pictures of the "busa snowmobile" and me on my ass...lol

Anyway, that's the extent that I've riden it and even seen it! When I get home I'll be going over it more, but I do know one of the things it needs is either a paintjob or a new silver/grey fairing on the right side. Prior owner laid it down while pulling into his driveway in the rain & afterwhich he put new exhaust on (yoshimira triangle shaped thing) and frame sliders.

I had though about removing the frame sliders after riding for a while, just because I thought it looked "cleaner"...however with my lack of riding experience i'm considering leaving them on...

I think i'm going to get set of Tsubaki Chain & Sprockets, they seem decent and the chain seems beat. I'll probably stick with mobile 1 oil...but what is a good weight/etc of oil to use for the busa? (I.E. 10W30.)

Just looking for some good suggestions here! :-)

newbie.gif
You need to put up a serious set of pics so we can see what we're working with.

CAT 3 had a great set of suggestions. Chain should be good, check sprockets as well. Just bought Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's for mine. 129 front 195 rear. Check the brakes as well

to the madness

PS If you do decide to paint it go with black and pick up some speed.
laugh.gif

Welcome. Use all suggestions above they're good ones from good people. You'll find out everything you ever wanted to know about your busa on here. The only thing not replied to is the starter.
I have an '01 and yes I had a problem. They do have a slightly different/newer one that some have replaced with. I haven't. It seems most of the problems were related to the PCII which I had. After talking to several tech. the last at Dynojet. The culpret seems to be a weak CP sensor. I lowered mine to their recommendation and never had another problem. The PCIII is a totally different animal(better) and seems to not have the problems the PCII had. If it has a PCII you can send it to Dynojet and they can disable the start up mode software which should also cure the problem. Their maybe other thoughts on this but this is what I found. I have a PCIII that I'm running now with zero issues and haven't had any for 30K. A friend of mine had a PCIII on his '01 for about 16k with no problems. In fact he just totaled his and I took it off for him. If you are interested in it PM me and I'll let you know what his map setup was.
Once again, Welcome to the org.

(Scottrod @ Feb. 04 2007,20:04) Hey guys!  Thanks for the replies thus far!  I really appreciate all the input!  I'm probably going to go with a clear alternatives taillight from what i've seen so far.  I KNOW, I KNOW, don't be mad that there are no pictures!  I had to fly to florida for work because of the tornados!  I picked up the bike, unloaded it off my friends truck, then rode it from the driveway through the back yard and parked it in the shed while i'm gone.

It was actually pretty interesting trying to ride a freaking busa though a flat, snowy, back yard with a completely bald tire!  I ended up falling on my ass once, but it didn't damage the bike as I sacrificed myself and made sure it landed on me instead of the ground...lol.  Good times.  My buddy was laughing at me and said that it would have been priceless to have some pictures of the "busa snowmobile" and me on my ass...lol

Anyway, that's the extent that I've riden it and even seen it!  When I get home I'll be going over it more, but I do know one of the things it needs is either a paintjob or a new silver/grey fairing on the right side.  Prior owner laid it down while pulling into his driveway in the rain & afterwhich he put new exhaust on (yoshimira triangle shaped thing) and frame sliders.

I had though about removing the frame sliders after riding for a while, just because I thought it looked "cleaner"...however with my lack of riding experience i'm considering leaving them on...

I think i'm going to get set of Tsubaki Chain & Sprockets, they seem decent and the chain seems beat.  I'll probably stick with mobile 1 oil...but what is a good weight/etc of oil to use for the busa?  (I.E. 10W30.)

Just looking for some good suggestions here! :-)
Welcome aboard. Give me a ring at the shop. We can get you all set up with your chain and sprockets. We can get standard all the way to the best of the best. 301-473-9191...

Greg aka GPW

Welcome ! I didn't have any starter probs on mine with 30,000 miles and niether does my buddy . Nice year and color ! now post some pics.

Welcome! I occasionally ride up to that pagoda in Reading... PM me the next time it is nice out and we can ride.
E

Yo scottrod! Put some sliders into those holes! They will save your butt!!For all the money u r going to pay for new plastics, they are a $$$ saver, big time! There r so many to choose from! Bling to basic!

Every co. makes things for the ultimate motorcycle! Choices on all these questions are endless. Welcome to the obsessed.org!

to the borg also! I have an 02 silver/gray also. While I've never had any problems with it, some people did have problems with the starter kicking back and causing problems. The best way to prevent this (without spending money) is to always have a good charge on a good battery. I run a blend (Motul) in my bike but am going to go with a straight synthetic I think. I'm installing a Hindle exhaust, EK ZZZ chain, going 16/42 gearing and I do love my Pilot Powers. Hope this helps and change those plugs. Bob
tounge.gif

You guys have been a big help so far.  I just have a couple quick questions yet.

I think the scratches are fairly deep on the right side fairing, would it still be able to be sanded and painted or should I just order a new piece? Also, one of those stupid little plastic screws is missing from the top of the fairing. Anything I should check with this bike having been laid down? I can tell it wasn't going fast, but still it has some deep scratches. ALSO, my mirror on that same side is a little loose...I didn't have time to check whether or not it just needed to be tightened.

Any suggestions on some nice aftermarket mirrors?

PCIII...how much and where?  I know my bike has a TRE and the previous owner said not to run it with both.  Also, anyone know where I can get that TRE that shows what gear you're in?  Is that gear indicator a good quality piece or is it a POS?

Oil.  I've decided to go mobil 1 because that's what I put in my Camaro & i've been very happy with it.  What oil should busa's use with 9400 miles?  5w30? 10w30? etc.

SPARK PLUGS.  Thank you for the suggestion, I didn't even think of that.  What is a good set of spark plugs to use?  I.E. are there platinum ones or something like that?  I don't plan on running nitrous because this bike is crazy fast enough for me already (for now =)

Back