Just a little rant.........

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
You know, its almost no fun to ride my bike to work anymore. I do not know when it happened, but all of the sudden, there seems to be a lot more drivers on the road. What makes it worse, 8 out 10 on a cell phone. I talk and drive too, so dont get me wrong. But what is so hard about getting a cheap hands free device so you can at least use two hands and not lean over in the car where you cant see the mirrors? Really, what is wrong with people? So what I deal with on a daily basis,

A) Some one cutting me off or pulling out in front of me while on the phone.

B) Some one merging into me because the phone is in their ear and they didnt turn their head to look out of the window or check their mirror.

C) Sitting at red light while talking on the phone while being oblivious that traffic started moving 5 minutes ago. This happened twice today.

I had a lady sit all the way through a green arrow. Great, we get to sit through this light again. Thanks lady, hope that conversation was important............

It just burns my rear and I am about ready to park my bike except for early Sunday mornings, group rides at meet/greets, and track days. Maybe I am just getting older and cranky, I dont know, but I am fed up with people thinking they are the only ones on the road. At least in my truck I have 5000 lbs of 3/4 Ford I can survive in.

Ok, rant off........thank you, I feel better. :laugh:

I know the feeling! I've been toying with putting a Road Armor bumper on my 3/4 Dodge.

You are giving the hands free devices far too much credit. It is not the hands being free, it is the mind being occupied with another task.

I'm guilty of it also.

I just cringe when I have to ride in the city.... A couple of years ago I told myself that I was going to start riding the bike to work to save on gas money.. after a few days of being cut off, drivers riding my butt and stop and go traffic I was gladly willing to go back to the truck....

I know exactly what you are talking about James...

I know what your saying Rick. But at least its better than having the phone shoved in your ear. Cap, I am driving my truck to work tomorrow...............

I gave up riding mine to work several years ago. Pretty much would only ride it in if I was teaching a class off of it.

You know, its almost no fun to ride my bike to work anymore. I do not know when it happened, but all of the sudden, there seems to be a lot more drivers on the road. What makes it worse, 8 out 10 on a cell phone. I talk and drive too, so dont get me wrong. But what is so hard about getting a cheap hands free device so you can at least use two hands and not lean over in the car where you cant see the mirrors? Really, what is wrong with people? So what I deal with on a daily basis,

A) Some one cutting me off or pulling out in front of me while on the phone.

B) Some one merging into me because the phone is in their ear and they didnt turn their head to look out of the window or check their mirror.

C) Sitting at red light while talking on the phone while being oblivious that traffic started moving 5 minutes ago. This happened twice today.

I had a lady sit all the way through a green arrow. Great, we get to sit through this light again. Thanks lady, hope that conversation was important............

It just burns my rear and I am about ready to park my bike except for early Sunday mornings, group rides at meet/greets, and track days. Maybe I am just getting older and cranky, I dont know, but I am fed up with people thinking they are the only ones on the road. At least in my truck I have 5000 lbs of 3/4 Ford I can survive in.

Ok, rant off........thank you, I feel better. :laugh:

These things happen to all of us... but if you're in a hurry to work, NOTHING beats being able to split lanes, use the shoulder, or make it past all the people turning left on the street you want to turn right on.

On your way to work or not, in city traffic you are already well versed in all the things you have to deal with in traffic on the way to work or a sunday cruise.

Think you're fed up now... drive your tuck to work!

older and cranky

You got that part right :)

J/K

People are way too busy these days and occupied with too many things to concentrate on only one like just driving .

When was last time you saw kids walking down the street...and only that ?
Now they are so hooked on texting, surfing web, downloading pics or songs that last thing they hear is gonna be the horn from the car fixing to smash them.

These things happen to all of us... but if you're in a hurry to work, NOTHING beats being able to split lanes, use the shoulder, or make it past all the people turning left on the street you want to turn right on.

On your way to work or not, in city traffic you are already well versed in all the things you have to deal with in traffic on the way to work or a sunday cruise.

Think you're fed up now... drive your tuck to work!

Thats the thing, I am not in a hurry. And 90% of the time, I see the cager going to merge into my lane and I happily give it to them. What makes me made are the ones that right beside me and I am looking at them through the window as them move over into me. :banghead:

Whats worse here, is that texting is now commonplace on the road. :moon:
They make a drunk driver look like they know what they are doing!
I run across this literally every day, and feel uncomfortable in the car, much less on the bike. It spells dire consequences for all, as it will only escalate with time.
Cell phone laws here, are completely ignored.
I knew long ago cell phones would be a major problem,did not see the texting thing coming.
Majority of people have NO driving skills to begin with,much less while doing more important things like texting.:rulez:

Whats worse here, is that texting is now commonplace on the road. :moon:
They make a drunk driver look like they know what they are doing!
I run across this literally every day, and feel uncomfortable in the car, much less on the bike. It spells dire consequences for all, as it will only escalate with time.
Cell phone laws here, are completely ignored.
I knew long ago cell phones would be a major problem,did not see the texting thing coming.
Majority of people have NO driving skills to begin with,much less while doing more important things like texting.:rulez:

Let's not forget facebook, surfing the web, updating twitter, doing "check-ins", gps rerouting, and eating a burger with the other hand.

Seriously, phones need a gps limiter that blocks ALL outbound use except to 911 if the vehicle has been moving more than 10mph for more than 30 seconds.

It's not just the cagers, a lot of bikers myself included are talking on the phone, there are some people who can but I have to say most people can't

You are giving the hands free devices far too much credit. It is not the hands being free, it is the mind being occupied with another task.

I'm guilty of it also.

At least 95-98% of the world cannot multi-task safely.
The brain just cannot process the information.

yup, that's why I stopped ridding to work a few years ago. To many people focused on texting and chatting on their phone to drive. I cringe when i'm in my car and I see the person in front of me stare down at their lap every so often. Are you kidding me?!?!? you have to read/write a text message right now?!?!? :banghead: For some people every semi idle moment in their lives has to be spent on their phone.

i hear ya, i used to ride mine to work 2-3 times a week. i cant even remember the last time i rode it to work now. i get no enjoyment out of riding to work anymore. pretty much just bike night and group rides on weekends.

Back