Emergency room rant

my68camaro

Registered
So I took my son (he's 13) to the emergency room last night. He was playing on the trampoline at my mother in laws house and jumped off of it and landed on a piece of metal cutting himself. Well we decided he needs stiches so we took him to our local emergency room I dropped him and my wife off at 730 and went to run an errand. My wife calls me at 750 asking if I had our insurance card on me so stop in to give it to her on my way home to drop off our daughters (17 and 15). I tell my wife ill be back shortly at 815 im back. At 9pm I ask if my son is going to be seen soon or should I find a differrent hospital because during the time i have been there 2 people showed up after us and were seen and left. the lady in the reception area says a couple ambulances have come and gone while we were waiting so.. me being the a$$ I am asked if I should go into the parking lot and call the ambulance for a ride in. she laughs and says no shouldnt be too much longer. At that point a nurse opens the door and called another lady who showed up after us back the lady looks at her and says they have been here longer pointing to my wife and son the nurse then calls my sons name we go in and she calls another name 3 times.. after the 3rd time I say they might have left because they were tired of waiting (at this time 3 people have walked out on their way to another hospital) the nurse had the audacity to look at me and say "I dont want to hear that from you we treat critically ill paitents first" me being the a$$ I am look at her and ask "since when does a 7 yr old putting a rock in his ear make him more critical than someone who is bleeding and in need of stiches" her reply was "thats not what I said" so I told her point blank because now im pissed "hold on that is exactly what you just said to me word for word" she told me she didnt need to explain herself to me and put us in a room and she walks away only to come back in 2 minutes later and say that the guy didnt leave and I should mind my own business or she was going to throw me out into that waiting room i looked at her and said go ahead and she stormed off

NOW WTF I understand triage (in a hospital)" the principle or practice of sorting emergency patients into categories of priority for treatment" ) as I have some basic military medical trainging but a pebble before stiches ??....looks like im going to drive to a different hospital 16 + miles away before I go back to that sh!%hole.... boy im glad my property taxes pay for that place fyi I live in a smaller town and this is a Rant I know they might have been busy with more severe cases but still a pebble over stiches good job Doc ...

I had a similar issue at the ER in Springfield however uncharacteristically I kept my cool. I am miffed though because I sat there for 4 hours waiting to be seen, saw the Dr. for 15 minutes, and they charged me $700.00 WTF!

Wow so sorry that happened . Our emergency rooms are same here . For 'just a cut' I think you would bleed out before being seen ! My daughter Kathy crashed her bike a few yrs ago and we weren't sure if she needed stiches or not so we took her to an emergency medical clinic and they took care of her before we could even sit down .

We have a trampoline with a net around it and both my kids have been bugging me to take the net off.
It bothers them they say ?
I'm gonna have Kathy read this to Adam.
Again sorry he fell off and I hope he will be ok .
Did he wind up getting stiches ?
0971909a.jpg

Sorry about the stitches! Hope all is well.

I have been there before. The wife had a wreck a few years back. Had a cut on her head showing almost 3 inches of bare bone and 4 cuts over 6 inches long. After xrays and such determining that she was not in real danger she laid there for 7 hours before doc came to stitch up her head. Had been long enough that the edges of the cut had dried and had to be trimmed to heal properly. She did not even know about the cuts on my wifes back. She got up to leave and I asked her about the rest. When she asked about what others my blood boiled. The admins of the hospital got to know me real well to say the least.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your incident is unfortunate but the nurse is right about critically ill patients are seen first. IMO falling off a trampoline could be trauma and should have been seen first and then straight to Cat Scan for a CT of the head to make sure there are no fractures or bleeds.

All ER's are run differently so maybe another hospital would be better to see how they run things..

Hope everything turned out ok..

Yeah He recieved 7 stiches across his right wrist a little more to the side and it would have cut his vein (Dr. showed us the vein by spreading open the wound after it was numbed)
and your right TMF2004 I told my wife I will drive to a different hospital in another town before I went back to that one
as for the net I think they are a great idea for children but as i said my son is 13 so he knows "everything" already ...apparently he now knows how not to dismount the trampoline

Last edited:
13 and knows everything :rofl:
Laughing cuz Kathy is 11 and the same.
She could solve world peace if you let her !

Sometimes though the person you need to perform work needed is not always there ready to go.
Surgeons here are like tow trucks and ERs work on rotation system . So if you go in and are in need they then have to call the one who's turn it is ? Maybe why your son didn't get seen as quick as he should have .
Maybe nobody was there with skill needed to stitch him up ?

NO xrays he said nothing was hurting just the cut

what ever the case my son should have been seen before the kid who stuck a pebble in his ear expecially when they showed up later than my wife and son and my wife told me it was the same doctor that stiched up my son she saw him do it thru a the door

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that vin hope the little guy heals up fast as far as the treatment by those biaches.
Man my wife was having a seizure from a blocked blood vessel in her brain I had to carry her cause she couldn't feel her legs or arms and the #$@#$ at the ER wouldn't even get out of her chair never mind get me a wheelchair or help me put her in it then she says what makes you think she had a seizure in a tone that made me want to rip her head clean off which would have made the world a better place for everyone.
Some day they will get rewarded for the way they treat others.

I have a neighbor down the road (the local embarrassment) that has a trampoline mounted about 10 feet in the air. I have no idea if his children bounce on it, but it scares me just thinking about it. As far as I know, he uses it for shade. His yard is an abomination and his block is showing through the worn paint. It's just awful.

but imagine if your child was bouncing on that and fell off. ???

Hope he gets better, what a horrible experience.

I've had to take kids twice to ER (and once for my step-mom). All three times it was pretty good, although I attribute that to the facilities and the money they have to invest in the facilities. A little impersonal, but never really had a long wait (certainly less than 1 hr until we were taken in).

Maybe time to send a letter.

glad to hear he wasnt hurt bad...as a side note incase others didnt know layla's moms daughter had a minor accident on atv with broken bone...check in on them if ya want

i think they should change the name to ...."WAITING ROOM".....emergency room just doesnt fit...

I watched a guy at the ER pass out from blood loss in the waiting room they took so long. Kinda worried me, I was there for a gash on my elbow...

What kind of stupid kid puts a rock in his ear? Your kid had a much better injury and therefore, by my logic should have gone first.

Gonna make this short

Cutting firewood

Axe stuck in wood

Drove axe and wood ontop of a stump

wood split and half bounced off stump and hit me just above the eye.

Huge gouge

Took my shirt off and covered it up

Wife took me to emergency room

Sat in the emergency room for like 20 min

Wife went up to window a couple of times

Wife said I should remove shirt just in case it were to dry to cut it would hurt like hell removing it then

I removed shirt

Woman sitting across from me screamed

Woman sitting 2 chairs down said OMG very loud

Blood started pouring from my head onto the floor

Both women and my wife went to window

Within 2 min I was being ushered to the back.

Not sure who had to clean the puddle of blood but I bet they were wondering what the hell happened

I wouldve thrown a fit as well you were completely in the right. Its sad how things are run these days

I have a neighbor down the road (the local embarrassment) that has a trampoline mounted about 10 feet in the air. I have no idea if his children bounce on it, but it scares me just thinking about it. As far as I know, he uses it for shade. His yard is an abomination and his block is showing through the worn paint. It's just awful.

but imagine if your child was bouncing on that and fell off. ???

We need a pic of this! lol

Back