I've caught me a scammer!

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
I had made this previous thread:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/random-thoughts/153456-looking-atv-daughter.html

and using Searchtempest, found a Craigslist add for a Polaris 90:

2009 Polaris 90 OUTLAW ATV

Funny thing was, this same add, with identical pics, was placed in at least 20 different Craigslist cities, with no actual location of the ATV, and different email addresses, so I immediately became suspicious. For fun, I responded to one of the adds, asking for more information and for the actual location of the ATV. This is the response I received:

On Jul 15, 2011, at 5:08 PM, "Sean Weaver" <Sean.Weaver@msn.com> wrote:
Hello,
Sorry it has taken so long to get back in touch with you.
First of all let me say that the OUTLAW ATV is in excellent condition, it has never been crashed or rolled and I have a clear title. I don't want to get rich by it's selling, just want to give it to someone who will take good care of it. I'm an US Air Force MSgt. currently stationed in Little Rock Air Force Base, AR and the ATV is here with me, I can have it shipped from here by an US Air Force cargo plane so there won't be any shipping costs for you. Also I can arrange for a truck to transport it to your home address or you can pick it up from the nearest airport in your area. The shipping takes around 48 hours, depending on your location. If you are interested in purchasing the ATV contact me back so I can provide you with more information. It has 300 miles, year 2009, Automatic Transmission, 90cc Engine,

MSgt. Sean Weaver

PS. Sorry for the long email I've tried to touch all bases

BS. The AirForce doesn't haul "on a miltary transport" - duh. So, I responded:

I have friends in little rock and am retired military. May they inspect it?

I get this response:

Thanks for your reply.
As i told you i am stuck here in the military base and i have restrictions in communicating due to the medical and physical exams that i have to complete. If you are really interested in buying it I have to let you know that I want a fast deal.
The transaction will close only through eBay so we both will be protected.
I want eBay because as they are the biggest US company and I think that we can close this deal fast and safe for both of us. I don't have to much time and also I am not very familiar with the internet transactions and eBay is the only one I know.
Please let me explain how this transaction works. In order to complete this deal the payment must be sent to eBay. As soon as they receive the payment will notify me to start with delivery. After that you will receive all information about delivery. eBay will hold your payment until you receive and inspect the ATV (you have 3 days for inspection) If you will find the smallest problem with the ATV you will ship it back on my expense and eBay will make you a full refund.
If interested I need your contact info for eBay, full name and shipping address so we can proceed.
Thanks

I am totally convinced this is a scammer and want to call BS and post every add I found on Craigslist as fraud, but I'm trying to figure out what else I can do to get this guy. Any suggestions?

I wish there was a way to make a fake paypal account and pay him with it...

Better yet, tell him you'll send him cash in the mail since you think Paypal is the devil and don't believe in banks (they are the devils work) Then get his address and send him an envelope full of Monopoly money.. ???

Scammer for sure! Probably in South Africa as that place is a hot bed for scammers.

I'd contact Craig's List and point out the culprit!

I wish there was a way to make a fake paypal account and pay him with it...

Better yet, tell him you'll send him cash in the mail since you think Paypal is the devil and don't believe in banks (they are the devils work) Then get his address and send him an envelope full of Monopoly money.. ???

Or a box of dog poo....

Droid via Tapatalk

I would tell him that you would like to do it and find out how to pay 'through ebay'. Then, I would call the ebay fraud team as well as craigs list. He's trying to exploit peoples lack of knowledge on what is and is not protected. I had someone try the same thing with me when I was looking for my first Busa. Never did make any progress but they did deactivate his account.

skydivr

Can you send me your e-mail correspondance with this individual? I'm actually Active Duty Air Force and know some people who are interested into looking into this. We hate it when people give us a bad name. I'll PM you my work e-mail.

FBI usually won't do anything at all until there is actually a crime committed.

Tell ya what, I will buy your whatever you have for $3000 more than its worth, but you have to send me $2000 because I can only get you a check for an extra $2000.

Responded to PM. About the best I can do is report it to Craigslist and MSN and get it cleaned up, as in all likelyhood the offender is outside the country. I am extremely offended as a retired service member for someone using this as their 'cover'.

I think i'm gonna ask him for a .mil address and see if he responds with one....whatcha think duramax?

What I'd like to resond to is something like this:

"Msgt Weaver, under Art $$, Section ## of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, you are ordered to immediatly contact the Little Rock AFB Security Manager, COL @##@, at 'email' and 'phone'. The Air Force intelligence service is tracking this conversation and your email address. Failure to follow this direct order is a court-martial offense. Craigslist and MSN have both been contacted and are cooperating with this investigation"..

or something to this effect..whatcha think?

I'd be curious to see what he come's up with for an e-mail add.. I like your response though.. but you are probably right some jack wad outside the country trying to rip people off.. it does burn me though.

Unlike most scammers, "Mr. Sean Weaver" writes English very well (I did not see the usual flags). Makes me wonder if he is NOT OCONUS?

I really am a MSgt in the active duty U.S. Air Force and every time I see something like this it really pisses me off. They try to play off on the military aspect of it and hope that the general public will trust them. I would put these people away for a long time if I could.

Back