Is UAW to blame for bailout

Are the UAW paid too much

• YES

Votes: 71 79.8%
  • NO

Votes: 18 20.2%

• Total voters
At contract time they could've refused the contract and hired scabs...

Many of the union members would've crossed the line.

wouldn't be the first company to do it

Why should the UAW agree to pay cuts when the execs still get their perks?

If i was them, I would ride it to the ground...the country can't let the companies totally fail. The UAW knows this. why chance givign up somethign they don't have to. That would be stupid on their part.
I live in the heart of "Auto worker" country at this point in my life.. There is no possible way they could open the doors without the union workers scabs or no scabs.. They in fact do have a gun to the head of the company and many other associated companies.. The actual auto plants are only a cog in the auto business.. you have all the secondary and tertiary suppliers that probably equal 4 or 5 times the numbers of workers and if they are a union shop, they also close..

The company line is keep the plant running no matter what and we will deal with the downside when it happens.. we will loose far more than that by being closed down by a strike..

well that time is here and the strike is now cheaper than the problem.. the plants will close without a doubt (they already are here) because they can not afford to pay the wages and sell a car for a profit.. The truck plant here (that just saw I think a 300M update) will close for Q1 of 09.. that is going to close maybe 100 other secondary business's due to no demand for parts..

When so many around this area work for under $20 an hour, I would have thought the $40+ per hour workers would have gladly given up a big chunk to stay open and working... nope...

Sad but the greed runs from top to bottom in the monster.. I doubt you could blame any one entity.. but sure if fun trying..

Last edited:
Anywho, failure to negotiate and agree to change some things when the company is in such dire straits, well its just stupid. Oh let me continue to make what I make but knowing the company is dead in 2wks. Maybe the cuts wouldnt amount to much on the corporate bottom line but it would have gotten them the bailout.

Very well said. UAW won't budge but is counting on Congress. Congress said no.

r8

It saddens me to see people want other people out of work regardless of what they make. We are talking about livelyhoods here people. Many of these people went to work with the rules already in play so should they be punished? I hate to see anyone lose their job or have to go without one paycheck. We can talk all day about who is at fault here but in the end. These companies need help along with the workers. You are talking millions of people out of work including the ones who are not a part of the UAW.( suppliers) I would hate to see if it were our jobs on the line. How would we feel at that point. These people have families who depend on their income to survive. We have some board members who are post job losses almost weekly. Lets have some compassion.:(

It saddens me to see people want other people out of work regardless of what they make. We are talking about livelyhoods here people. Many of these people went to work with the rules already in play so should they be punished? I hate to see anyone lose their job or have to go without one paycheck. We can talk all day about who is at fault here but in the end. These companies need help along with the workers. You are talking millions of people out of work including the ones who are not a part of the UAW.( suppliers) I would hate to see if it were our jobs on the line. How would we feel at that point. These people have families who depend on their income to survive. We have some board members who are post job losses almost weekly. Lets have some compassion.:(

First thing in my response would be PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE spare me the emotion card. What your speaking to is those people who have themselves so upside down with finances that they have to have the job from GM because they have no skills for anything else that will pay the same amount. I am empthetic with most but the UAW is a perfect expample of a union that has been a part of the problem for many years. It will be good for them to get a taste of real America and what it's like to work all week and barely be able to make ends meet. Have them apply to be a police officer or fireman, some public service and see the piddly pay they get for the risk and job done. I don't want to see anyone out a job make no mistake, however who could not have seen this coming. When it was between UAW and 3 manufacturers it was their reward, now that I am flipping the bill it's my problem. How about we just take the 700 billion and invest it in our infrastructure, new roads, bridges, public buildings and such. We all can use them and the people laid off from the auto industry can do the work... We pay to get them to make new roads, they get a fair paycheck!

Problem solved

Cap

we tax payers paying for it each time, the bail money cost me and you and everyone else.

who do you think is going to pay to support the unemployed workers?
Posted via Mobile Device

who do you think is going to pay to support the unemployed workers?
Posted via Mobile Device

They aren't going to get 25, 30 or even 40 an hour thats for sure.. If I get to choose where my money is spent it will be for the least amount as I can and to the folks that are looking for jobs, for a short period of time...

First thing in my response would be PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE spare me the emotion card. What your speaking to is those people who have themselves so upside down with finances that they have to have the job from GM because they have no skills for anything else that will pay the same amount. I am empthetic with most but the UAW is a perfect expample of a union that has been a part of the problem for many years. It will be good for them to get a taste of real America and what it's like to work all week and barely be able to make ends meet. Have them apply to be a police officer or fireman, some public service and see the piddly pay they get for the risk and job done. I don't want to see anyone out a job make no mistake, however who could not have seen this coming. When it was between UAW and 3 manufacturers it was their reward, now that I am flipping the bill it's my problem. How about we just take the 700 billion and invest it in our infrastructure, new roads, bridges, public buildings and such. We all can use them and the people laid off from the auto industry can do the work... We pay to get them to make new roads, they get a fair paycheck!

Thank God we have individuals that can determine what a fair paycheck is.

Problem solved

Cap
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

A fair paycheck could be defined as:

1. One that is not so high that it breaks the very company you work for.
2. The government doesn't have to step in and keep your business alive.
3. When you compare it to the other jobs of similiar skillset OUTSIDE of the auto industry.

A fair paycheck could be defined as:

1. One that is not so high that it breaks the very company you work for.
2. The government doesn't have to step in and keep your business alive.
3. When you compare it to the other jobs of similiar skillset OUTSIDE of the auto industry.

So how many jobs have you taken where you said, "Gee that is a great offer but i'll take less because it is not fair to take so much"

Meanwhile the the CEOs are getting 100x the pay. You don't see them saying wow it really is not fair to pay me 10,000,000 a year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Let capitalism work; don't reward failing businesses with tax payers money.The system will up right it self :rulez:

So how many jobs have you taken where you said, "Gee that is a great offer but i'll take less because it is not fair to take so much"

Meanwhile the the CEOs are getting 100x the pay. You don't see them saying wow it really is not fair to pay me 10,000,000 a year.
Posted via Mobile Device

So your confusing making an honest wage with "Let's see what I can get away with" looks like we found that limit huh.....

Don't get me wrong, not all unions are bad.. But I can tell you this... When I was a cop a dropped out of the FOP because of the same garbage that the UAW was trying to pull. Sometimes people are lazy and just need to be fired. They should not be protected by a union! Sometimes a person that wants to make more money should just get an education or find a job that offers more benefits. Now days most unions are set up so that everyone under their umbrella has "Protection" from the evil empire. This same mentality used to be called the MOB.

If you want something work harder for it. I have worked in corporate America for the past 12 years, prior to that I served 10 years in emergency services. I have saved literally hundreds of millions of dollars and made the companies in revenue several more hundreds of millions, however I don't get paid a percentage of the profits. Sometimes you can leverage your position and what your value is to the company and get a raise but you better be able to back it up each time. No union to make sure I have a job, no demands for more money, if I don't like it I simply leave and get another job where a company will see my value.

Too many people are lazy and want a more than what they deserve... get out and work for it!

Now we have a situation in front of us in which three of the largest companies in the Nation are asking OUR government for billions in assistance. The number one cost to that company is salaries, why should I pay for thousands of people to get paid what I feel is too much?

Cap

Problem solved

Cap

Well until they get the infrastucture projects going which is likely sometime next year, someone is going to have to do something. Now all the UAW members you despise will end up jobless and then file unemployment. So from December until whenever, they will collect money that the company paid to the state for that length of time until they find work. You and I will pay for that. Then some of them who live in small towns where everyperson in town works at the plant will lose their homes and cars and everything else they bought on those wages. All of those defaulted loans will cause an uproar to the local banks in that area. You and I will pay for that. It is one big snowball when it is all said and done. We can pay for it now or we can pay for it later. Either way, we will pay for it.

Back