United Auto Workers Lash Out at GOP Senators Over Bailout Collapse

My take: I was a loyal Teamster....fair pay, good bennies, etc. Company was purchased by new owners...didn't want Teamsters. Teamster rep tells us that "he did what he could, but the union workforce would not be re-hired, and would have to re-apply for non union jobs". Most of us like the work, knew the new owner was a decent guy, and stayed on at the same wage, slighty increased benefits costs, and gave up some misc. paid holidays and fluff. 2 months later, out "Rep" who "did what he could to keep the Teamsters in the business" was driving a new Porsche. Amazing co-incidence, huh?

Unions helped to build this country, no doubt. But many of the rights that unions fought for have been replaced by federal and State labor laws....the horid conditions that Unions fought against for the average worker just don't exist much anymore. Unions have become a giant money eating Dinosaur that has out-eaten it's food supply.....something's gotta give....

Where is your response to the above S4L? You seemed to have all the answers before!

Where is your response to the above S4L? You seemed to have all the answers before!

I have responded...

bring in illegal aliens and give them room and board in exchange for their labor...then hand the big three 80 billion...eventually they will waste it and be back in the same boat. It is not the workforce, its management's bad decisions making them fail. But no way to show this to people who do not wish to believe.

Mopar was bailed out before and are the first back in the same boat...

Ford which is also UAW, who was the first american car company and is not asking for bail out cash at this time...only access to it if the economy doesn't turn around.

Ford floats but mopar and GM sink...all UAW. Wow. But UAW is at fault....???

makes perfect sense. :whistle::bowdown::bowdown:

Well....Hopefully your trade isn't connected to the Big 3. After having 150 guys picketing my job site in Canton Michigan burning vehicles and assaulting people that crossed the line. I have no respect for the union. I did get great joy out of see those forces sitting in 5 degree weather to collect their 20 bucks of strike pay while the rest of us pushed on and completed the project on time...without them. By the way, I videotaped the assault and had the criminals arrested and an injunction placed on the local which prevents them from picketing any of my projects...ever. With that said, Unions had their place but will soon be obsolete just like analog television transmissions. Getting paid approx. $70 / hour to perform menial tasks will soon be a thing of the past. Enjoy the gravy train while it lasted.:moon:

blinded by the light... :rofl:

I doubt you he will ever open his eyes to the big picture.. management did make a mistake.. they bent over backwards to try and keep the lines running while giving into suicidal demands made by labor... the 60 days that GM workers went on strike did massive damage to the company and their (many of the workers) crappy work ethic (read higher labor costs per car) did even more to ruin a company..

business seeks to minimize losses what ever it takes.. if a bear attacks you, you are going to get shredded, but if you play dead, you might survive.. in this case, they are probably going to die and there will be something to take its place that can compete..

With that said, Unions had their place but will soon be obsolete just like analog television transmissions. Getting paid approx. $70 / hour to perform menial tasks will soon be a thing of the past. Enjoy the gravy train while it lasted.:moon:

+1 :beerchug:

Adios

Last edited:
hmmm

gravy.jpg

It's a simple math equation.... Do I have enough money from sales to pay the biils and employees.

Answer: No, then something has to go or be cut....

I agree the bonuses are paid to people that are definately part of the problem but it appears to me from the outside looking in that the UAW is saying look at those terrible bosses for getting paid more that what they deserve and on the flipside there is the management looking at the UAW and saying the same thing...

In the end your both standing there unwilling to concede a cent and while your arguing who is most important your letting your company waste away and in the same breath asking for me to give you both money to get out of the hole....

You better get real and figure it out quick! Your gonna stand there and fight for what you believe to be unfair and then life is going to catch up with you and your gonna be fighting for a job delivering pizzas........

Save me the drama of trying to turn the blame on the managment, if I'm flipping the bill then I want you all gone.. I will give the jobs to people that are making $10.00 an hour now that would be very grateful for making 25.00 and hour...

Cap

so you want me to give up half of my hourly wage...take greater cuts in my health care...loose all of the education benifits and work without time and a half pay when its more than 40 hours in a work week and give up my pention? guess youll agree on the 10 bucks an hour thing huh? seriously guys....are you really that stupid or just that clueless? do you actually know what an hourly employee makes in a year at one of the big 3 plants? do you have any idea what my benifits really are? im guessing you think you do by all of the propaganda youve read in the past year in the news......78 bucks an hour? really? thats 162,240 dollars in one year....lmao....cap...who says we arent grateful of the jobs we have? im puttin out the challange to any member that thinks a uaw employee is over paid and under worked...ill let you do my old job that i did on the line for 10 years...lmao....any takers?no bull...either step up or shut up.

aww Fort Wayne had one of the largest Nestle plants in the country sir Einstein, but I would not expect you to know that... They went on strike and they closed the plant and moved it... (headquarters are not always the center of activity, many companies use NY/CA addresses and are actually many miles away with production..)

GM had a number of strikes that affected them over the last few years (Fort Wayne is home of one of the main pickup truck plants) strikes by the "OTHER" unions (trucking, assy line workers etc) cause serious issues and shut down production.. As I recall they lost about 4 weeks to these shutdowns..

Also in Sept of 2007 GM strikes closed plants for 57 days.. Now you may know a different set of economics and production rules than I do but it takes a couple weeks to get these things running again after people come back to work.. considering a margin of 7% is usually pretty good, I think 60+ days shutdown probably hurt the profits for a few years..

Unions got greedy on their own behalf and that of the workers.. workers pay dues, the union has this need to prove they are worth those dues.. such a waste..

would you take a 50% wage cut? would you take a dramatic cut in your health insurance benifits? would you work for straight time after 40 hours? would you accept a total loss in your pension? what the hell makes you think i or anyone else would either? these are the cuts that the "company asked us to take...what a joke!

would you take a 50% wage cut? would you take a dramatic cut in your health insurance benifits? would you work for straight time after 40 hours? would you accept a total loss in your pension? what the hell makes you think i or anyone else would either? these are the cuts that the "company asked us to take...what a joke!

Here's the choice. Accept these changes, or accept a 100% wage cut, total lack of health insurance benefits and total loss of pension.

Fact is, if you fight your company into the ground, it and your job will be gone. I feel sorry for you guys, I know it's tough when there are not alot of jobs to be had.

Instead of complaining about it, do something. Move to another area where there are more jobs. Tell your union you don't want your dues supporting golf courses (FOXNews.com - Autoworkers Union Keeps $6 Million Golf Course for Members at $33 Million Lakeside Retreat - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News). There is no law that says a company has to remain in business. If the shareholders agree it's a lost cause, the doors will close. Good luck.

Here's the choice. Accept these changes, or accept a 100% wage cut, total lack of health insurance benefits and total loss of pension.

Fact is, if you fight your company into the ground, it and your job will be gone. I feel sorry for you guys, I know it's tough when there are not alot of jobs to be had.

Instead of complaining about it, do something. Move to another area where there are more jobs. Tell your union you don't want your dues supporting golf courses (FOXNews.com - Autoworkers Union Keeps $6 Million Golf Course for Members at $33 Million Lakeside Retreat - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News). There is no law that says a company has to remain in business. If the shareholders agree it's a lost cause, the doors will close. Good luck.

funny thing is im not complaining...it seems everyone else is though..why is it that when the auto industry has a problem we the union are the first to be blamed? so if the union has a retreat the we as a whole pay for and use...then whats the problem with that?

My company has had about a 70% reduction in business since the economy started failing. As a preemptive move, my company laid off approx. 60% of our employees, and those of us who remain took an across the board 35% pay cut in addition to an approx. 40% cut in benefits. No I don't like it, but I'm just glad to still even have a job at this point. Hard times here now, and maybe even harder times ahead, sux bad..... Good luck to those who have it worse...

blinded by the light... :rofl:

I doubt you he will ever open his eyes to the big picture.. management did make a mistake.. they bent over backwards to try and keep the lines running while giving into suicidal demands made by labor... the 60 days that GM workers went on strike did massive damage to the company and their (many of the workers) crappy work ethic (read higher labor costs per car) did even more to ruin a company..

business seeks to minimize losses what ever it takes.. if a bear attacks you, you are going to get shredded, but if you play dead, you might survive.. in this case, they are probably going to die and there will be something to take its place that can compete..

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

So management not only is stupid for signing the contract, they are also stupid for ingesting more capital in a market that has almost halted to a dead stop?

I agree that business tries to lessen losses, so why didn't they take these steps in 2007 instead of making more? Why didn't they part those vehicles out and full fill their part order needs rather than wasting more cash in warehousing them? (btw that also drove customers away...who wants a car they can't get parts for...but then again that was probably the union's fault also since most the parts in question are OUTSOURCED parts that could have been ordered in and resold)

So management is not responsible for contracts, regaining capital, taking care of their customers or overseeing and ensuring quality goals are met.

So at this point they are responsible for making dumb commercials, designing vehicles no one wants, cutting checks and passing the blame?

ok,, for all that dont understand its called FREE MARKET..

Lets say the UAW is gone, history,, a thing of the past. Now we are open to free market..

Ok with the UAW being gone, the big 3 are hiring. Some offer more pay, some offer better bennies, Some offer better retirement..

Ford is offering skilled workers 20 a hour, plus bennies ans a 5% match on the 401K.

GM is offer 15 a hour for skilled workers, same bennis but have to come out of pocket more, and only a 3% match on 401K

Dodge is offering 7.50 a hour, crappy bennies and 401K to them is greek..

So what happens?

Ford kicks ass in the market cause they have happy workers, the build better cars, with less problems..

GM is still there and you still have you die hard GM fans, the company has made a profit, but not much to brag about.

Dodge went out of business the first week they were open, cars were falling apart on the lot, service was a joke, Workers felt the pay was so low they did not have ot build a nice car..

Now lets go into the Ford factory.. Lets say billy bob put a door on wrong. Not a big deal, but Billy bob was trained to put it on correctly, has been told 2 times in the past he is doing it wrong. What does Ford do? Thats right FIRES him. You cant perform go to GM, and do half butter work there. No UAW saying you cant fire him. No one blaming managment, just weeding out the bad seeds..

Face it the UAW allows people who do crappy jobs to keep a job.. When I had my bike bike shop I went through many a tech.. If you messed up you were gone.. Just think if I had a union rep coming in the door when I fired someone? I would have been out of business qucik..

Its time for EVERYONE to take some responabilty for them selves... Dont hide behind some union... Just think there are millions of us out here working non union jobs making great money and answering for our own mistakes!

Son, time are a changing...

I have a brother in law that is a Chrysler worker and I do know what he makes... your benefits are grossly under estimated in your own mind..

do you have a clue what it costs to provide your family with healthcare? the vacation days you get? the other benefits you conveniently forget about?

half pay... I can say with all honesty I have done the same work for less than half of what I make now and if I was threatened with having no job, no income and no options? hell yea I would take the pay cut..

If the guy sitting next to me is doing the same job for less money, then yes, I better do the smart thing... go to school and learn a job that uses your brain instead of your hands so much, or find a different job all together..

Seems to me, a lot of the "union" workers fail to see just how "cush" your jobs have been over a lot of years.. The automakers handed over the keys to the store for too many years and rather than preserve your resource, seems you all just milked it dry... the cash cow has died now..

I did not have any auto maker pay for one thin dime of my degree.. I paid for the thing 100%.. I have seen a hand full of auto workers offered 100% full ride opportunities to get college degrees... they quit... it was TOO HARD... gimme a fricken break.. how far can they dumb the system down? What I get a kick out of is they see the IT industry as their new cash cow... :rofl:

1. they are too lazy to learn it,
2. there are so many of them that they drive the prevailing wages down to crap at entry level if/when they get their little A+ or MP certificates.. They are still playing with the automated drink holder...

grow with the times, quit bawling (things are not changing kids) and get with the program.. either figure out how to get twice as much done, take a pay cut or "get outta da road"

This is why the Bail outs will not work, nothing changes. Same bad practices on all sides! Let them go under, someone will buy them out and start a leaner more modern company making products people want, and no unions.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

So management not only is stupid for signing the contract, they are also stupid for ingesting more capital in a market that has almost halted to a dead stop?

I agree that business tries to lessen losses, so why didn't they take these steps in 2007 instead of making more? Why didn't they part those vehicles out and full fill their part order needs rather than wasting more cash in warehousing them? (btw that also drove customers away...who wants a car they can't get parts for...but then again that was probably the union's fault also since most the parts in question are OUTSOURCED parts that could have been ordered in and resold)

So management is not responsible for contracts, regaining capital, taking care of their customers or overseeing and ensuring quality goals are met.

So at this point they are responsible for making dumb commercials, designing vehicles no one wants, cutting checks and passing the blame?
It would appear fairly obvious you are one of the "union" workers correct?

did you honestly think the demands placed upon the automakers were sustainable? you had a choice yourself... accept what they offered as to be fair in their view or hammer them to what you thought was fair..

As a business owner, I always let the employees tell me what was fair wages for their work and paid them accordingly .. :rofl:

you guys were brash enough to push for more money that was not there and sacrificed your job security in the process.. sorry but no pity, no compassion and surely no bailout.. Even if they throw you guys a bone, it will "not be enough" in your eyes..

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Although Toyota and Nissan (for the most part like others) are made in America I will never, ever buy a car from the Big Three again.

Not even used.

gravy.jpg

r8

Back