United Auto Workers Lash Out at GOP Senators Over Bailout Collapse

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
UAW still wants it all at tax payer expense but it's the "Republicans" fault.

Another pinhead.

r8

The head of the United Auto Workers union lashed out Friday at Senate Republicans -- Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker, in particular -- blaming them for scuttling the $14 billion auto bailout package approved earlier in the week by the House.

GOP objections stalled the measure in the Senate Thursday night. Republicans put pressure on the powerful autoworkers union as they tried to squeeze out concessions in exchange for their support.

"This was just simply subterfuge on the part of the minority in the Republican Party who wanted to tear down any agreement that we came up with," UAW President Ron Gettelfinger said at a press conference, declaring "the auto industry around the world is in peril."

Intense negotiations broke down over the union's refusal to meet GOP demands for wage cuts. Corker, the architect of the Republican counterproposal to the House-approved bill, told FOX News that negotiators were "just three words away from a deal."

But Gettelfinger said Republicans were holding the union to a "double standard" and trying to applying an undue burden on their workers.

He questioned whether Republicans had an ulterior motive, but said the union was nevertheless willing to negotiate.

"Quite frankly, we wondered if we were just being set up," Gettelfinger said. "And I say that because there's no question the UAW has demonstrated leadership throughout this process, and there were some in the Senate who we felt resented that. "

He said bankruptcy for the Big Three automakers is not an option.

Corker rejected the accusations, telling FOX News the union simply refused to offer a date by which they could be competitive with foreign automakers who have plants in the United States.

"I was stunned that they would walk away from a deal to put these companies on an incredible footing, a healthy footing for their employees for years to come," Corker said.

The senator complained that the UAW pay scale is "far higher" than at other plants in the United States, particularly those of foreign automakers.

In terms of hourly wages, the pay scales are similar. For instance, General Motors says the average UAW laborer makes $29.78, while Toyota says it pays about $30 per hour.

The difference is in the benefits, however. GM's hourly labor costs (including pensions and health care) total $69 for active workers. Toyota's total about $48 per hour at older U.S. plants.

UAW still wants it all at tax payer expense but it's the "Republicans" fault.

Another pinhead.

r8

The head of the United Auto Workers union lashed out Friday at Senate Republicans -- Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker, in particular -- blaming them for scuttling the $14 billion auto bailout package approved earlier in the week by the House.

GOP objections stalled the measure in the Senate Thursday night. Republicans put pressure on the powerful autoworkers union as they tried to squeeze out concessions in exchange for their support.

"This was just simply subterfuge on the part of the minority in the Republican Party who wanted to tear down any agreement that we came up with," UAW President Ron Gettelfinger said at a press conference, declaring "the auto industry around the world is in peril."

Intense negotiations broke down over the union's refusal to meet GOP demands for wage cuts. Corker, the architect of the Republican counterproposal to the House-approved bill, told FOX News that negotiators were "just three words away from a deal."

But Gettelfinger said Republicans were holding the union to a "double standard" and trying to applying an undue burden on their workers.

He questioned whether Republicans had an ulterior motive, but said the union was nevertheless willing to negotiate.

"Quite frankly, we wondered if we were just being set up," Gettelfinger said. "And I say that because there's no question the UAW has demonstrated leadership throughout this process, and there were some in the Senate who we felt resented that. "

He said bankruptcy for the Big Three automakers is not an option.

Corker rejected the accusations, telling FOX News the union simply refused to offer a date by which they could be competitive with foreign automakers who have plants in the United States.

"I was stunned that they would walk away from a deal to put these companies on an incredible footing, a healthy footing for their employees for years to come," Corker said.

The senator complained that the UAW pay scale is "far higher" than at other plants in the United States, particularly those of foreign automakers.

In terms of hourly wages, the pay scales are similar. For instance, General Motors says the average UAW laborer makes $29.78, while Toyota says it pays about $30 per hour.

The difference is in the benefits, however. GM's hourly labor costs (including pensions and health care) total $69 for active workers. Toyota's total about $48 per hour at older U.S. plants.

it's always funny to listen to people that blame the uaw for the failing automotive industry...why doesnt anyone complain about the 18 plus BILLION dollars paid for bonuses...after getting paid tax payer money to bail out your several companys? my tax payer money...as well as yours, bailed out a company that failed and they paid out bonuses....and people say that i still am the reason that the automotive industry is failing? people really need to read the facts and stop watching cnn and believing all of the propaganda that they teach.:banghead:

I just love to see Blame still poured out on the GOP since they now CONTROL NOTHING. And have the votes to STOP NOTHING, but they will still get blamed for everything :laugh: . Same way that Bush will still be Blamed for things not working two years from now :whistle: . Interesting when the Democrate are in the Minority and they object or try to stop things they disagree with, they call themselves the LOYAL OPPOSITION. But when the Republicans do the same thing, they're demonized as OBSTRUCTIONIST :rofl:

Go Figure :whistle:

it's always funny to listen to people that blame the uaw for the failing automotive industry...why doesnt anyone complain about the 18 plus BILLION dollars paid for bonuses...after getting paid tax payer money to bail out your several companys? my tax payer money...as well as yours, bailed out a company that failed and they paid out bonuses....and people say that i still am the reason that the automotive industry is failing? people really need to read the facts and stop watching cnn and believing all of the propaganda that they teach.:banghead:

It's a simple math equation.... Do I have enough money from sales to pay the biils and employees.

Answer: No, then something has to go or be cut....

I agree the bonuses are paid to people that are definately part of the problem but it appears to me from the outside looking in that the UAW is saying look at those terrible bosses for getting paid more that what they deserve and on the flipside there is the management looking at the UAW and saying the same thing...

In the end your both standing there unwilling to concede a cent and while your arguing who is most important your letting your company waste away and in the same breath asking for me to give you both money to get out of the hole....

You better get real and figure it out quick! Your gonna stand there and fight for what you believe to be unfair and then life is going to catch up with you and your gonna be fighting for a job delivering pizzas........

Save me the drama of trying to turn the blame on the managment, if I'm flipping the bill then I want you all gone.. I will give the jobs to people that are making $10.00 an hour now that would be very grateful for making 25.00 and hour...

Cap

I say if the company can't float then shut them down. The company accepted the wage and benefit contracts therefore it is up to the employees to accept a breach of contract or not. Instead of labor costs, imagine it was material costs. No one would expect a material supplier to take a pay cut to supply the big three. Now if the supplier wants the cash they will. The UAW is willing to risk their jobs...they are theirs to bargain with IMHO. It this THEIR call to make.

It's a simple math equation.... Do I have enough money from sales to pay the biils and employees.

Answer: No, then something has to go or be cut....

Cap

funny thing is that the big three were losing money by the millions per month in 07 when gm renewed their contract with the UAW and gave them near record level increases and bonuses....

Management ran the company into the ground and without care with the concept that the US can not let them fall. Concessions were never even mentioned. So we need to blame the captain for the sinking ship not the dumb sailors who expect to be paid for their rowing.

So we need to blame the captain for the sinking ship not the dumb sailors who expect to be paid for their rowing.

Well, if they BOTH don't change, they will BOTH sink (which I think they should). It's not going to matter who did or did not do what ! Ya know if the ship is sinking, the first thing is to STOP THE FLOODING, not blame who did or didn't close the hatch ! And calling another crew from another ship to come over and bail out the water while you argue, isn't going to solve anything either :beerchug:

Well, if they BOTH don't change, they will BOTH sink (which I think they should). It's not going to matter who did or did not do what ! Ya know if the ship is sinking, the first thing is to STOP THE FLOODING, not blame who did or didn't close the hatch ! And calling another crew from another ship to come over and bail out the water while you argue, isn't going to solve anything either :beerchug:

management didn't care and ran this "business" into the point it is at.

So they get money and and workers work for $7/hr....in ten years another bailout is needed...then what? People expect them to work for free right? This is the second time in history Mopar has needed bailed out....GM has been on the fence for years and Ford isn't asking for money, it wants access to it IF the economy forces them to take it in the future. Harley is asking for money also. Many utility companies are on the verge of failing...so are wages putting all of these companies under? No management and a failing economy is.

My point is that 2 years ago when GM could've asked for concessions and took a proactive approach on saving their company, they didn't. They sank it even further into the hole it is in. management made that call...so why trust them with ANY cash they haven't earned?

I understand you guys on the non management end. But, I just closed a Company (let go 30 people) because the rising cost of doing business just wasn't going to make it worth the hassel of keeping open. So, should I get a bail out just because I only had 30 people at this one business ? I think NOT. You live with what you do or don't do. Yesterday is Yesterday, you can't look back and say, I shouldn't have to pay my bills because last year I made a mistake. Your Creditors don't care, they just want to be PAID ! And if you can't pay them, YOU CLOSE. You don't run to the Government and say, "WE NEED YOU TO PAY OUR BILLS" , because we're poor managers. And as far as the Bonus goes; well the stock holders have to approve that, so YELL AT THEM ! Or are you saying, if the Management offers you a $100,000 bonus your going to say, "OH NO, PLEASE DON'T GIVE ME THAT". Of course not, you're going to take it going :cheerleader: all the way to the bank :laugh:

I understand you guys on the non management end. But, I just closed a Company (let go 30 people) because the rising cost of doing business just wasn't going to make it worth the hassel of keeping open. So, should I get a bail out just because I only had 30 people at this one business ? I think NOT. You live with what you do or don't do. Yesterday is Yesterday, you can't look back and say, I shouldn't have to pay my bills because last year I made a mistake. Your Creditors don't care, they just want to be PAID ! And if you can't pay them, YOU CLOSE. You don't run to the Government and say, "WE NEED YOU TO PAY OUR BILLS" , because we're poor managers. And as far as the Bonus goes; well the stock holders have to approve that, so YELL AT THEM ! Or are you saying, if the Management offers you a $100,000 bonus your going to say, "OH NO, PLEASE DON'T GIVE ME THAT". Of course not, you're going to take it going :cheerleader: all the way to the bank :laugh:

yep I agree...they can't pay their bills...so close them.

I got it....lets just combine our threads and hire illegal aliens for $2 an hour :beerchug:

Hey Cap seems like we're on the same page. What ya' say you and me
go to washington and see if we can't get a huge chunk of the billions just to
start up a car company?

I got it....lets just combine our threads and hire illegal aliens for $2 an hour :beerchug:

Hey Cap seems like we're on the same page. What ya' say you and me
go to washington and see if we can't get a huge chunk of the billions just to
start up a car company?

I would settle for a few hundred thousand to run a forum! :please:

I agree that management is also to blame (as in everywhere in business where management got greedy), but by the UAW failing to make wage concessions to make costs competitive, it spells the end of the auto industry as we know it. No more bailouts; let them file CH11 and break all the contracts and start anew.

I agree that management is also to blame (as in everywhere in business where management got greedy), but by the UAW failing to make wage concessions to make costs competitive, it spells the end of the auto industry as we know it. No more bailouts; let them file CH11 and break all the contracts and start anew.
is my feeling too, :agree:

I do not really care who is at fault (both sides IMO) but greedy workers and management sank the boat... nice knowing you, sorry you screwed up, but hey free enterprise is based on producing a viable product and a price the public can handle...

Cant do it? you cant stay in the game.. move aside, take your bitter hard earned pill and let someone else pick up the torch...

yep let them go file bankruptcy, and then they can be torn apart for their assets to pay their debts. There will be nothing left to be rebuilt...sounds fair...not logical or intelligent...but fair.

yep let them go file bankruptcy, and then they can be torn apart for their assets to pay their debts. There will be nothing left to be rebuilt...sounds fair...not logical or intelligent...but fair.
the workers knew it was happening, the managment knew it was happening, why should I have to fix it?

If I was a blacksmith and my business dried up, why should the govt come in and bail me out?

Tell me how they come in and fix my business.. I saw the writing on the wall years ahead and did nothing to diversify or fix my business model.. So I just ride it to the bitter end... now someone help me... how? buy just handing me blank checks? where does this lead?

Give me logical and intelligent.. and attach $20B to it...

govt doesn't give a crap about the cars....they care about the taxes that the trickle down effect will pay. So as long as Obama keeps those jobs and taxes being paid during his term(s)...he did his job. Just remember, the guys building those cars will pay the same taxes you will towards the bail out...and sooner or later the trickle down will help put food on your table which in turn puts money in the govt's pockets. So in a way...the bail out helps you also. They are just a bit sooner to be affected.

the workers knew it was happening, the managment knew it was happening, why should I have to fix it?

If I was a blacksmith and my business dried up, why should the govt come in and bail me out?

Tell me how they come in and fix my business.. I saw the writing on the wall years ahead and did nothing to diversify or fix my business model.. So I just ride it to the bitter end... now someone help me... how? buy just handing me blank checks? where does this lead?

Give me logical and intelligent.. and attach $20B to it...

if you were a blacksmith who employed a couple million people, had subcontracts with thousands of other businesses, and already owed the govt MILLIONS in other loans.....yep I bet the govt would be thinking about bailing you out too.

they should have given we the people 18 billion in car and truck discounts and we all would be driving more American cars and trucks and then auto makers would have work producing those said auto;s and we would all be happy to be able to afford something non of us have been able to in years if ever....I know I would love a chevy or dodge truck for about 7 g new...lol

Back