Is this retarded or am I???

I would also say C because I've been left out to dry by my buddy when he stayed to the left of center and slowed down not leaving me any room to get back in the right lane. :pullhair:

The proper answer is definately "C". If you are passing with a bike behind you (Especially if there is a vehicle in front of the one you are passing and you have to drop in between the two vehicles) be courteous and move to the shoulder next to the fog line until the following bike is safely in the right lane.

Good judgment and common sense can mean the difference between life and death!

A very good point is being made right here...no one said you had an open road in front of you to keep speed up to make room for another bike~!~

If you have traffic in front of you, and slide into an open spot...why would you stay in the left side of the lane to block your buddy out and leave him to play chicken with the oncoming lane~?~

Yes, I know in a perfect world no sane person on two wheels would ever put themselves in this situation right~?~ It happens, but Tuff did make a scenario that has not been brought up...sliding into traffic without room in front.

Maybe the rider behind you thought you were going to pass all the vehicles (which is now against the law in some states without ducking back in between each vehicle), or maybe they just used bad judgement, but whatever the reason they now need a slot to slide into~!~

Last edited:
A very good point is being made right here...no one said you had an open road in front of you to keep speed up to make room for another bike~!~

If you have traffic in front of you, and slide into an open spot...why would you stay in the left side of the lane to block your buddy out and leave him to play chicken with the oncoming lane~?~

Yes, I know in a perfect world no sane person on two wheels would ever put themselves in this situation right~?~ It happens, but Tuff did make a scenario that has not been brought up...sliding into traffic without room in front.

Maybe the rider behind you thought you were going to pass all the vehicles, or maybe they just used bad judgement, but whatever the reason they now need a slot to slide into~!~

If there is not enough room why would you pass in the first place?

The 'book' may say that A. Left of center...is the right answer, but if I'm riding with you...YOU best be taking the 'right of center' position :rulez: ...and keep on accelerating if there is room available.

Every passing situation will present it's own variables to deal with, but if you take the 'left of center' position...you are hanging your riding buddies out to dry...and god forbid you slow down :grim:

:whistle:

Now lets hear from all the 'safety' police...

Y'all ride your ride...and I will choose who I ride with. We all take a risk whenever we throw a leg over a motorcycle...those who "I" choose to ride with know that WE will look out for each other, and make it home safe.

:whistle:

Now lets hear from all the 'safety' police...

Y'all ride your ride...and I will choose who I ride with. We all take a risk whenever we throw a leg over a motorcycle...those who "I" choose to ride with know that WE will look out for each other, and make it home safe.

Probably the most important mindset for group riding. :thumbsup:

Correct answer, Left of center.

This is why I ride alone. :whistle:

cheers
ken

If you are the lead and you pass another vehicle and don't realize you need to get far enough ahead of the slower vehicle to allow your group to get safely out of the passing lane you have no business leading a group of riders.

AMEN to that I hate when the leaders don't look out for the group. Everyone follows you so make sure you consider them when driving!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Yes, I know in a perfect world no sane person on two wheels would ever put themselves in this situation right~?~

I knew that was coming...that's why I made the first comment

Should you~?~ no

Does it happen~?~ it's not a perfect world, I'm sure it does happen. Remember, in some states it is in fact a law that states the vehicle must take position in front of each passed vehicle. If you pass two vehicles at once a ticket can be issued.

I'm simply stating one possible scenario that a rider might come across...yes I like most on here would still recommend that you assure yourself plenty of room before passing~!~

The question nobody asked is why do they think we are with a bunch of Harleys. I hate being in groups just for this reason. Forget the dragon, ride Illinois- 318 miles and 11 curves:rofl::welcome:

One thing you may not have considered? If I happen to be ridding with you and God Forbid I find myself following you on a pass and we are forced to tuck into a slot between two vehicles. If you choose to do the right thing and stay next to the centerline blocking me from tucking into that spot with you, forcing me to make a choice between you or the oncoming BMW you are gonna lose my friend! I think you would do the same if presented with the two choices?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 'book' may say that A. Left of center...is the right answer, but if I'm riding with you...YOU best be taking the 'right of center' position :rulez: ...and keep on accelerating if there is room available.

Every passing situation will present it's own variables to deal with, but if you take the 'left of center' position...you are hanging your riding buddies out to dry...and god forbid you slow down :grim:

I have been on a number of rides with Rich and you won't find a better man to ride with. He will always pass a vehicle and go to the fog line to allow anyone behind him room to join him in his lane if needed. It's simply good common sense regardless of what the experts at the DMV says!

The book answer is A.

However, depending on several factors (size of group, difference in passing speed, length and clearance in passing lane, road conditions, etc.) C might be the most acceptable answer in the real world. The truth is, that there is a BOOK answer, and there is a COMMON SENSE/REAL WORLD answer; a good rider and leader know's how to separate the two when necessary....

The what IF wasn't in the question.

beings how I wrote the question, I am well aware of the fact that the what if wasn't there, but isn't our lives full of "what if"? Escpecially being a 2 wheeler, we have to process way more info than your average cager and ALWAYS try to anticipate an unexpected "WHAT IF"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beings how I wrote the question, I am well aware of the fact that the what if wasn't there, but isn't our lives full of "what if"? Escpecially being a 2 wheeler, we have to process way more info than your average cager and ALWAYS try to anticipate an unexpected "WHAT IF"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't say we two wheel enthusiest have to process any more "What if" information than does the common four wheel cager. However, the consiquencies of a mistake have far greater chances of serious physical damage.

Did you know your chances of dying in a motorcycle crash is 39 times more likely than in an automobile crash?

Back