Is this retarded or am I???

when i do that I pass so darn fast that you could fit about 97 bikes in behind me and the only ones that would have to worrie about whether i was left of center, center, or right of center would be the other busa's...only ones that can keep up....im usually 1/8 mile ahead of everyone else so they dont have to worrie about room:laugh:

Here is what CT manual says

Passing in formation. Riders in a staggered formation should pass one at a time.

First, the lead rider pulls out and passes when safe. After passing, the leader returns to the left portion of the lane and continues riding at “passing speed” to open room for the next rider.

After the first rider passes safely, the second rider moves up to the left portion of the lane and watches for a safe chance
to pass. After passing, this rider returns to the right portion of the lane and opens up room for the next rider.
– Some people suggest that the leader should move to the right portion of the lane after passing a vehicle. This is not a good idea. It encourages the second rider to pass and return to the lane before there is a large enough space cushion in front of the passed vehicle. It’s simpler and safer to wait until there is enough room ahead of the passed vehicle to allow each rider to move into the same position held before the pass.
• Single-File Formation. Move into a single-file formation when riding curves, turning, or entering or leaving a highway.

when i do that I pass so darn fast that you could fit about 97 bikes in behind me and the only ones that would have to worrie about whether i was left of center, center, or right of center would be the other busa's...only ones that can keep up....im usually 1/8 mile ahead of everyone else so they dont have to worrie about room:laugh:

cute, real damn cute.:laugh:

very intersting Bryan. Thanks for that input. And in a perfect world, that is choice, and I do see where it would make sense. But I think as 'most riders' and tend to "PASS" with the pack, albiet as long as its safe to do so. I do always look far enough ahead to always verify safe passing conditions.

I agree. Not all experienced riders are good leaders.

:whistle:

Simple,
You are passing the car, everyone gets in line behind you because they wouldn't do it unless it was SAFE right? After you pass the car you continue at the same speed, (what speed you're going or wether or not you're speeding irrelevant) if you were loc, c or roc when you came up on the car return to the same position. You are passing the car and increasing the distance between you and the car so everyone can get in behind you. The ONLY reason no one could get in behind you if you were at loc is because you SLOWED DOWN!

i dont control the other riders, thier bikes or actions. I pass when i know it safe for ME, ill wait until i believe they can as well, but they make thier own choices. Pass and go to Roc to allow them in, although during a pass and immeidtly after i dont want anyone next to me

Simple,
You are passing the car, everyone gets in line behind you because they wouldn't do it unless it was SAFE right? After you pass the car you continue at the same speed, (what speed you're going or wether or not you're speeding irrelevant) if you were loc, c or roc when you came up on the car return to the same position. You are passing the car and increasing the distance between you and the car so everyone can get in behind you. The ONLY reason no one could get in behind you if you were at loc is because you SLOWED DOWN!

+1 add to my previous comment:thumbsup:

Simple,

What IFthe azz u were passing, sped up? Just sayin'! Anyways, this got off track, looking for readers 'ANSWER' to the posed query!!

i dont control the other riders, thier bikes or actions. I pass when i know it safe for ME, ill wait until i believe they can as well, but they make thier own choices. Pass and go to Roc to allow them in, although during a pass and immeidtly after i dont want anyone next to me

If this is your attitude you definately should not be riding in a group, definately not leading.

ok my answer is left of center that's where i like to ride and i don't care what the law is on it...:laugh: btw im going to have to meet up with you this summer....im just off the 80/09 toll road by notre dame...in indiana...bout 2 hours east of you.....also i used to dj at excalibur so i have many friends up that way and know my way around pretty good

Last edited:
A. Left of center. I can be seen as move ahead of the slow vehicle to make room. Allows the next in line to see me and my placement berore and during his pass. :thumbsup:

Wait...you argued the point with someone at their DMV? :rofl:

Um...I'm thinking it'd be (if posed here in Cali) left of center. None of the other riders should pass the slow moving vehicle until they can regain their place in the staggered formation...

Bingo!

First, the lead rider pulls out and passes when safe. After passing, the leader returns to the left portion of the lane and continues riding at “passing speed” to open room for the next rider.

And Bingo!

You never pass unless you can maintain enough speed to safely allow your group to pass and get back into the same positions. If you can't do that your group does not need to make the pass. Changing lane positions every few minutes is not only extremely annoying, it can confuse a newer rider to the point of making bad choices that can cause a problem in the group. If a person that is new in group riding is being told to maintain position and regroup, they may be expecting to have their previous position open when they make the pass. If another bike is in the way you could have a wreck in the making.

The leader needs to maintain the passing speed and monitor the space behind them to allow for the entire group to pass. If all riders in the group can't make the pass the leader should reduce speed but maintain a large enough buffer for the rest of the group to pass and regroup when it is safe again to pass.

In any group ride I lead I make a point of covering this information in my pre-ride briefing. It's always more enjoyable when nobody is stressing out on the "What do I do if..." questions. Ask the group if they have any related questions and cover them before you ride.

Here is what CT manual says

Passing in formation. Riders in a staggered formation should pass one at a time.

After the first rider passes safely, the second rider moves up to the left portion of the lane and watches for a safe chance
to pass. After passing, this rider returns to the right portion of the lane and opens up room for the next rider.
– Some people suggest that the leader should move to the right portion of the lane after passing a vehicle. This is not a good idea. It encourages the second rider to pass and return to the lane before there is a large enough space cushion in front of the passed vehicle. It’s simpler and safer to wait until there is enough room ahead of the passed vehicle to allow each rider to move into the same position held before the pass.
• Single-File Formation. Move into a single-file formation when riding curves, turning, or entering or leaving a highway.

That is almost verbatim of what the Illinois Motorcycle Operators manual also says. So the answer would be "A". Any other answer would go against what thier own manual says and would be wrong. But it is Illinois.

Last edited:
The correct answer is indeed ............ A) Left of Center.

I still say there are to many unknown open variables in there question to have a definitive right answer.

But A it is.

ok my answer is left of center that's where i like to ride and i don't care what the law is on it...:laugh: btw im going to have to meet up with you this summer....im just off the 80/09 toll road by notre dame...in indiana...bout 2 hours east of you.....also i used to dj at excalibur so i have many friends up that way and know my way around pretty good

Most def., hit me up, we'll go for a sprint. Always up for a ride, weather permitting of course.:laugh:

The proper answer is definately "C". If you are passing with a bike behind you (Especially if there is a vehicle in front of the one you are passing and you have to drop in between the two vehicles) be courteous and move to the shoulder next to the fog line until the following bike is safely in the right lane.

Good judgment and common sense can mean the difference between life and death!

Back