Is there a GROT to chain links vs teeth?

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Seems there are a lot of General Rule Of Thumbs, is there one for going more teeth on the rear sprocket = x amount of links to add to the stock 112 link count? Although the 43t is currently mounted with the stock chain (yes, stock w/ 17,000+miles on it), I am thinking with a new chain it will be too tight. So, thought maybe +3 teeth = 1 or 2 links? Thanks.

Charlie

lurk.gif

i have 42t with stock chain, but i havent seen any GROT for it.
i'd say maybe one link for a 43t

A 17/43 will fit with a new stock lenght chain. That may be the max.

(BusaCruise @ Jan. 22 2007,13:23) there is a chart on APE's website.... or just do a search, I have posted it many times.
I appreciate the input. I did search prior to posting, however I seen it defaulted to this month and newer (btw how can you be newer than this month?). So, I changed that and found yes, 112 link is good.

Sometimes I just wish ppl could spare the extra 3seconds of their time to answer the question rather than posting the do the search line, that is when the person seeking the info isn't a newb etc...

Charlie

(Professor @ Jan. 22 2007,17:08) A 17/43 will fit with a new stock lenght chain. That may be the max.
Thats what the search came up with.

Another nice note. When posting info, if ppl use the Key Words, that others search for, it makes the search engine quicker and more likely to find the answer. I need to remember this too.

Back