A Drive Chain Question...

Blue Bayou

Registered
I've read as many threads as I could find about drive chains and I'm still confused.
I'm looking to buy a second chain for my Gen 1 Busa and I need to know how many links I have
The Ebay Ads say the Gen 1 is 112 links and the Gen 2 is 118.
I started with the master link side plate on MY chain and counting the master link as 1 and counting as I spun the chain, I count 55 side plates. Now... how in blue blazes does this equate to 112 links of chain..??? Am I losing it..??? :-/
Would somebody puleeze explain to me how this all works..??
Mucho Thankos
BB

Double what you counted plus the master link.
Technically you cannot remove one link from a chain, it's actually two.
112 links is correct for a gen1
118 is too many for a stock gen2, it's 114 or 116(can't remember).

Ok, I finally figured out what's going on with the chain link count. I'm counting all link faces including the master link and getting 55, which is a 110 link chain. The reason for this not being a 112 link chain is because previous owner let sprockets get all worn out and to make up for the worn sprockets he shortened the chain, hence now having only 110 links. SO, if I had decided to try using this current chain, I would have had the surprise of my young life, a chain that would NOT reach between sprockets...LOL :-)
BB

New chain and sprockets are a good feeling. Now, how about those cush rubbers? How old and how many hard miles are on them? If I recall correctly I got some red ones from Schnitzs Racing.

Back