Is the Hayabusa right for me?

notasquid

Registered
As a rider with +20 years experience (yes, I am dating myself), I have ridden everything from ZX11/FJ1200 to an RC51 and currently GSXR750. Here is my dilemma. I thoroughly enjoy riding hard in the twisties, but have a hard time
riding the 200-300 sport miles that I ride Sundays with my kness and shoulder.

In the perfect world I would keep my bike and get a sports tourer since there is no perfect bike and compromise is inevitable. However, this is not an option. I am looking for a bike that I can put Givi Bags on for distance riding
but still be able to ride in the turns with sharp handling characteristics.I will replace front and rear shocks with either Penske or Ohlins and will replace the rearsets with aftermarket ones. Otherwise, the bike will remain stock. How are the OEM tires?

Please give me any insight or feedback. I am concerned about the bike handling like an anchor.Will the Hayabusa be good for me based on my needs?

Last edited:
well I can't speak for anyone but myself , mine is definitely not a boat anchor get the suspension set up right and you can still have some fun on the twisties and as for long rides I have taken a few and there are guys on the org that do a lot more than a few long trips with luggage on their busa you came to the right place and should have enough to make an informed decision. My 2 cents is yeah you can do all that on the busa and more. :thumbsup:
Oh and welcome to the Org :beerchug:

Did 500 miles last Sun and went home feeling fine, I dont know if you consider 500 miles a long ride or not.

As for the twisties, Ride with some of these guys and you will be amazed at what they can do with a Busa.

The first time I rode with some of the members in the twisties I did 500 miles and lots of turns. I was simply amazed at what this bike can do. If I were to do long 200 - 500 miles at a time, more often, I would invest in a throttle control to give the right hand a little off time.
Just me and my 2cts
Bubba
Ride safe
Oh and welcome to the org.

Last edited:
:welcome: I'm 52 and don't ride long trips but the bike handles like a dream. I rode my wife's 600 for about a year before I got the Busa. You just have to get comfortable with the weight difference but after that, No problem.

I am 57, with a bum knee...I prefer riding my 'Busa more than my Honda VTX 1300 cruiser - any distance, any time, any surface. And the VTX is a good bike; it's just that the 'Busa is a GREAT bike. Better power, better performance, better mpg, and honestly, a more comfortable seating position once I got used to it. While cruising, I just lay down on the 'Busa tank, and take it easy. I don't have bags for the 'Busa, but there are several options available.

CW

I am 57, with a bum knee...I prefer riding my 'Busa more than my Honda VTX 1300 cruiser - any distance, any time, any surface. And the VTX is a good bike; it's just that the 'Busa is a GREAT bike. Better power, better performance, better mpg, and honestly, a more comfortable seating position once I got used to it. While cruising, I just lay down on the 'Busa tank, and take it easy. I don't have bags for the 'Busa, but there are several options available.

CW
I can relate to the knee problem. I actually can handle the Busa better than the VTX I had because of the seat hieght. My legs are straighter and gives me more strenght to hold the bike. Get the Busa and report back to us all.:thumbsup:

As a rider with +20 years experience (yes, I am dating myself), I have ridden everything from ZX11/FJ1200 to an RC51 and currently GSXR750. Here is my dilemma. I thoroughly enjoy riding hard in the twisties, but have a hard time
riding the 200-300 sport miles that I ride Sundays with my kness and shoulder.

In the perfect world I would keep my bike and get a sports tourer since there is no perfect bike and compromise is inevitable. However, this is not an option. I am looking for a bike that I can put Givi Bags on for distance riding
but still be able to ride in the turns with sharp handling characteristics.I will replace front and rear shocks with either Penske or Ohlins and will replace the rearsets with aftermarket ones. Otherwise, the bike will remain stock. How are the OEM tires?

Please give me any insight or feedback. I am concerned about the bike handling like an anchor.Will the Hayabusa be good for me based on my needs?

Read up...then ask yourself that ? :rulez::rulez::rulez:

:cheerleader: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/new-owners-forum/5494-gotta-ask-busa-good-first-bike.html :cheerleader:
:cheerleader: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/new-owners-forum/24283-thinking-about-hayabusa-first-bike.html :cheerleader:

You guys have all been terrific!

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for all your informative comments.
I can see this forum consists of dedicated riders who take their craft
seriously.

There is no question that I am one step closer to replacing my 07GSXR 750.

Back