Is the Hayabusa right for me

spawn40k

Registered
Im looking into getting a Hayabusa, but I keep hearing horror stories about getting yourself killed on one and ridiculous insurance costs.

I currently ride a 2006 gsxf-600 (katana). Im 6'3 about 275 lbs so for starters 600cc feels kinda sluggish and I want some more zip. The second issue is Im a big dude, and im looking for a comfortable bike that I can spend a few hours in saddle and not hate life like i do on my katana.

Ive was looking at getting a gsxr 1000 or R1. however im just too big and i feel cramped on the bike so I figure my only options are a busa, a BMW, or a cruiser (which has no appeal to me at all, im not old enough for a cruiser, lol).

So yea, Im curious if a busa sounds right for my situation? How comfortable are they? And lastly, how much do the insurance companies rape your for owning one of these. ie whats the cost for full coverage.

Thanks, i appreciate any responses :vader:

Last edited:
age and driving record determine Insurance rates.. if all you want is liability, not bad at all.. full coverage on the other hand goes from ridiculous to CHEAP...

I pay less than $260 a year for full coverage w/$250 deductibles..

as far as you being ready? that debate rages on... I have withdrawn from that debate..

:welcome: to the ORG.
As far as comfort I don't think you will find a better sport bike. I ride a lot and do 300 - 500 mile treks on some weekends. I have 8300 miles on her since mid Dec and love every minute I am on her.

Now insurance is another matter. I am paying 1800 a year (and that's with the good driver discount), but it is worth it for me, and I am in Socal where all ins is high.

Good luck and ride safe.
PS I also went from a Bandit 600 to the Busa - no regrets
Bubba

The Busa is very comfortable

As for Insurance, it is considered a Sport touring bike so insurance is actually cheaper than smaller sport bikes. ( This is what Ive heard ) I pay 420 a year for full coverage with State Farm but only if I carry my cars with them as well, But all in all its a fair deal.

As for your Horror stories - - - Only you control the throttle, Other than someone or something pulling out in front of you, ( which will happen on any bike ) You and you alone are responsible for the way you ride.

Like was already posted, it's all in YOUR throttle control, and how YOU ride. Other than that, anything can happen on any bike, no mater its size. It's an awesome machine, and I love every minute I'm on it, but you HAVE to respect the machine.

GL in your decision.

Im looking into getting a Hayabusa, but I keep hearing horror stories about getting yourself killed on one and ridiculous insurance costs.

True, on both counts. But then, you can kill yourself on a Honda Rebel 250 or with one cup of water and you'll wind up just as dead if you do.

I currently ride a 2006 gsxf-600 (katana). Im 6'3 about 275 lbs so for starters 600cc feels kinda sluggish and I want some more zip.

Any modern sport bike can hardly be considered "sluggish". That said, if the Hayabusa doesn't have enough "zip" for ya, you'll need to start looking into JATO's or rides with the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds.

The second issue is Im a big dude, and im looking for a comfortable bike that I can spend a few hours in saddle and not hate life like i do on my katana.

Lot's of larger than average folks here. At 6'3"/275 you're about average for the ridership here, although there are some sub-6'00"/sub 200 lbs riders here as well. One of the great things about the bike is that it's generally more comfortable than a dedicated sport bike (the 600's and 1000's) plus there are a many mods that you can do to tailor the bike for your comfort (bars, pegs, seat, risers, etc).

Ive was looking at getting a gsxr 1000 or R1. however im just too big and i feel cramped on the bike so I figure my only options are a busa, a BMW, or a cruiser (which has no appeal to me at all, im not old enough for a cruiser, lol).

Also on your list s/b the VFR and the ZX (shhh...I'm probably not supposed to say that!).

So yea, Im curious if a busa sounds right for my situation?

I'd say it's a better than average bet.

How comfortable are they?
Before mods, more than a dedicated sport bike, less than a Goldwing.

And lastly, how much do the insurance companies rape your for owning one of these. ie whats the cost for full coverage.

A rider with a good record and claim history in an average neighborhood can usually come up with an annual full coverage policy for $500-$1500 dollars. Riders with poor records and claim history can see quotes as high as $20,000/year. Depends on a couple of things:

Employment
Income level
Other vehicles owned (how many, what type)
Crime trends in your area
Driving record
Claim history
Mods on bike
Annual miles ridden
Level of formal rider training
Highest level of formal education completed
How much a scheister the insurance provider may be
Color of bike
Syllable count in mothers maiden name
Shoe size and eye color of all males in your immediate family
How many women you've had "relations" with and if their fathers approved or not
Whether or not you have any "leverage" over you insurance provider :whistle:
And a few more things that I'm sure I'm forgetting about.

No worries. Best of luck! :beerchug:

I currently ride a 2006 gsxf-600 (katana). Im 6'3 about 275 lbs so for starters 600cc feels kinda sluggish and I want some more zip. The second issue is Im a big dude, and im looking for a comfortable bike that I can spend a few hours in saddle and not hate life like i do on my katana.

So yea, Im curious if a busa sounds right for my situation? How comfortable are they? And lastly, how much do the insurance companies rape your for owning one of these. ie whats the cost for full coverage.

I bought a Busa after trying out my friends GSXR. I fit much more comfortably on the Busa. I am 5'11" and lets just say not a thin girl. I have not regrets. I love it. The ex is 6'4" 280 though and he makes the busa look like a trike!

Made the transition from a Katana to a Busa myself (6'3" and 215-220). The 2 bikes are comparable in weight, but obviously the Busa wins where power is concerned. I got to the same stage you are at, so just remember that your right wrist controls the majority of the action. Don't just get a Busa because it is more comfortable - think about whether you can handle the increased power, speed, and cost.

I love mine! It is comfortable and I wont lie thats the main reason we bought it but like everyone has said you control the speed. Best of luck brother!

:welcome:

I have only had four bikes, V-Strom 650, 2002 ZX6R (still got), 2008 ZX6R and my Busa. It is buy far the most comfortable, smoothest and fastest bike I have owned. I love it. :thumbsup:

:welcome:

i was in your shoes for the last year or so picking my bike. the 600s were outta the question as i was 6'3" 260. i wanted a semicomfortable sportbike. so i rode around on all the liter bikes and then the zx-14 and busa. the zx-14 to me is more comfy but the busa is just way cooler. to me the zx-14 looks like a retarded grasshopper on acid.

about the insurance. i quoted dairyland progressive state farm and geico. with a rather clean driving record (2 speeding tickets 8-10 years ago(im 25 btw)) it was 7200 a year for full coverage. 766 for liability and unisured motorists with dairyland. the others were pushing 10k a year.

if you have to ask, probably not, but if you're asking, you're cautious, so maybe you are. just remember, it's nothing like a 600, it's a ballistic missile that rides on rubber, so be careful.

lol Totally agree with you on that. The zx-14 looks stupid. I was never a big fan of kawasaki any way. Growing up 4 wheeling, we had a moto "Friends dont let friends ride kawasucki" a play on the forest fire thing. :beerchug:

Last edited:
go with the busa because u can notice the differnce in space b/t it and a R1 or gxsr 1000

as far as insurnace simple either have a good record and decident amount of vehicels to insure or have one of ur parents insured on it to

Ok, im going to drop in my 10 pence worth now.

I went from a CBR 600 FX as a new rider to a brand new Busa. The POWER is amazing, there is no right gear to be in, any gear will do on this bike. You twist the right hand and she's off, THATS THE BIT YOU NEED TO REMEMBER. Its one constant power band. Now i have only been riding for 4 years and to be fair i would say i have not coverd to many miles, so one thing i love about this bike is it dont bite, it will forgive the fast entry into a corner and even the late braking on the twisty's. It will look after you as i have found out.

As for the speed, i have had 4 people on the back of me up to now and 3 swore they would never get on a bike with me again. But i have a fail safe to keep me alive now, everytime we go out we stop off some where for a coke and for some a smoke. When i get my wallet out to pay for the drink i have a photo of my 7 year old daughter in it looking at me, then i think was it worth it, did i really need to do 175 mph or should i be happy knowing that i could if i wanted too.

The ride home is always much slower.....

Men need bikes................But Daughters need Daddies.

My insurance in the UK was £320 fully comp with 4 years no claims....

Watch out for that "A" Mode it will pull ur arms out.....:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back