Is a Hayabusa right for me? advice needed...

callmetater

Registered
newbie to the board here...

i am looking to get a bike since my truck gets only 11 mpg.

i am 40 yrs young and 6'5" 285 lbs (big boy..lol) so i am looking for something that will fit my frame the best. i plan on buying something USED (2003 or newer). i do have experience on sport bikes, i owned a GPZ1100 in the 80s and an FJ1100 in the 90s. the busas are beautiful bikes, especially the ones with swingarm extensions. i am not a speed junkie, just want something that doesnt look like a minibike when i ride it...lol

so...with that said is the busa a good choice for a big boy like me? or is there something more suited out there for me to look at? btw, not interested in the harleys, been there..done that.

btw, how is the mpg on the busas?

:welcome:
It all depends on how you ride it.
Slam the throttle through the gears and you'll be lucky to see 30.
I baby mine, and get around 44 on average.
As for whether the bike is right for you...
Well, based on what you've ridden, no. Neither of those compare to the busa in any regard.
Based on your experience, you've been riding for 20 years? That's a hell of a lot better than me, and I own one, lol.

Take into consideration what you want to do with it. It's very, let me repeat that VERY quick. But if you intend on being responsible with it then go for it.

Take an MSF course to reacquaint yourself with motorcycling on the road and as ray says,
Grip it and rip it :laugh:

Peace

The Hayabusa tends to go thru tires faster in stop and go traffic. At least for me anyway. The engine heat will come up between your legs when youare stopped also. If you are just looking for a commuter bike there are probably better choices out there.

im not really concerned about the power. in my original post, i am more looking for a bike that will fit my frame best....i am 6'5" 285. when i want to go fast on a bike, i just get on my dirt bike, the ole CR500.

cr500.jpg

Last edited:
im not really concerned about the power. in my original post, i am more looking for a bike that will fit my frame best....i am 6'5" 285. when i want to go fast on a bike, i just get on my dirt bike, the ole CR500.

I'm 6' 4" and it fits me fine, but there are better bikes you could find, that would suit your desires better.

:welcome: Go to the dealership and sit on a few. The busa can also have bar risers put on and adj. rearsets for those longer legs out there. You already know they are the sexiest and fastest so all you have to think about is comfort. Now go visit some dealers tomorrow and post the pics of your new busa Mon.:thumbsup:

Like most naked bikes.
The V-max, the M109, the B-king.
All more comfortable than the busa, IMO.

i just looked at those bikes and they just dont appeal to me. other than the busa, i really liked the early ninja zx-9 but i think it is too short for me. the busa looks more versatile with a swingarm extension and countless other addons. i know busas have power, and im not concerned with being able to handle it. it is just a damn sexy bike....im sure noone would argue with that lol. the price seems right on a used busa too, there are quite a few with low mileage where i live for sale in the $7000 range.

here is one for 7000. its a 2003 with only 470 miles on it. good deal???? not crazy about the color scheme, but.....
011510010208010400200808045bd19049a30b9506e3009733.jpg

I wouldn't be real concerned about "low" mileage. A well maintained 3-5 year old Busa with 20k miles on it has just gotten broken in good. Strictly my opinion I would be more worried about one that has been sitting for 5 years and only has 500 miles than one that has 15-20k miles and taken care of.

With that being said get what ever fits you the best and what you want. Ride safe and have fun!:beerchug:

good point on a bike with 470 miles that has been sitting for in a garage rotting...im just concerned about a bike that has been reamed out. anything i should look out for other than a bike with a new paint job or road rash?

I'm 50, 6'0-220, i ride reasonable, fire it up once in a while, take the compliments humbly. I found the worest part of owning my Busa was the first few weeks of getting old muscles used to the riding position. But once that was over, i've had nothing but 1000+ mile weeks of pure excitement and pleasure! I like it as a daily commuter (65-75 miles a day) and as a short touring bike (200-350 a day) this summer, with a few MODS and some storage i hope to take it on my annual 5,000+ mile ride about.
:beerchug: to finding your right fit.
.02:poke:

Back