Invisible dog fence

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Anyone tried an underground electronic dog fence before on a Siberian Husky??

I have taken a lot of criticism from a Husky forum for discussing this, almost everyone disagreed, to the extent that it got ugly.

We had success with our one dog now for three years and, she is hyper energy.

It took me one day, to train my five months old Husky pup and we are on day eight now, so far he has not skipped the fence. Both dogs will run full speed right up to the border with a skidding stop and then sit down to watch the neighbors walking their dogs.

I am told once he grows up, it will be a different story.

Any Husky experience appreciated.

My pooch is part Border Collie, Husky, and Golden Retriever. I guarantee he will run that fence. He would keep on running wouldn't care at all about the shock. Tried a barking collar on him, and he finds it "interesting" and changes the pitch of his bark to "test" it. Way too smart for his own good... I've never had a Husky before, always wanted one, but the run-away attitude of my dog makes me never want a full Husky. He darts at every open door. Drives me crazy. :laugh:

Good luck with the fence though, I have a few friends that use them with ZERO complaints.. :beerchug:

I think a real fence would be better, keeps other dogs out and lets travelers on the sidewalk know the dog can't get them :laugh:

I think a real fence would be better, keeps other dogs out and lets travelers on the sidewalk know the dog can't get them :laugh:

I have a friend with a Husky, it climbed an 8ft fence with some chickens behind it. And yes, it got the chickens.

I have a friend with a Husky, it climbed an 8ft fence with some chickens behind it. And yes, it got the chickens.

I really hope I left my laptop off at home.. If my dog reads that I'm in trouble.... :banghead:

I tried it , even with the strongest collar it wouldnt stop him.. So I got a real fence and a training collar .. and an electric fence and ... It all depends how hard headed it is....

Electronic fences are only as good as the lack of motivation the dog has to cross it. If the motivation is sufficient, the dog will go.

For an analogy, consider that a collar and a leash will stop a dog from many things...unless they're sufficiently motivated, in which case they will run/pull against that collar to point of repeatedly choking themselves.

Any time you consider IF an animal will act on their instincts in spite of conditioning or some non-real "barrier", the question is usually more appropriately phrased as "WHEN" or In WHAT circumstance" will they act on those instincts.

I haven't 'over-invested' in training with my dog (only a 14lb Chi-Spitz mix) but I can get her to sit, lay down, stay, even put food on her paw and get her to wait before eating it until I give her the command. But outside, it's a whole 'nother thing. She'll watch 10 cars go by without interest and then without warning she'll charge after car # 11. If I'm right next to her trying to keep her calm and "reminding" her to stay, she's much better, but even then she sometimes just can't contain herself.

They're smart as all get out, but sometimes they just want to do what they want to do. Kinda like us in that way. :laugh:

The fence will only 'shock' him within a few feet of both sides.
It will only take one time for him to run past it and see it stops shocking him within a few feet. After that most likely he will run as fast as doggly possible until the shock is over, stop, look back and laugh his azz off all the way to Muffys house :)

I have had four dogs on our underground fence and only one ever decided he could cross it. He is the most bull headed dog ever born and a Great Pyrenees by birth. We now have a five foot wooden fence with a 12 v fencing wire and to boot he still wears the shock collar for the invisible fence.

I have a lab that would do ANYTHING to chase a rubber tire that we throw for him and if it rolls too close to the fence...he dances a jig till we come over and get it away from the underground fence.

It just depends on your dog. I would try some controlled "can't resist" scenarios like my dogs tire with your dog and he'll let you know how trained he is to the fence.

My dogs are gits it don't matter how much we try to train them up they get used to it all, holly my border collie cross even started barking quieter so she did not set her collar off.

Yes when the dog gets older he might run threw the fence,even if he knows he will be shocked..i have a doberman and he runs threw the electric fense....but the biggest problem is when he tries to get back in the fense it shocks him..so we still have to watch him,so if he gets out we have to turn the fense off..i finally built a fense for him..then use a shock coller when hes not in the fense..so then if he goes to far i can push a button that beeps it so he knows to come back..

Lol you guys are gonna hate me after this one.

I had two boxers full grown and non clipped. Dropped an electric fence and the both of them would run at speed till they could make it to the fence. Problem was mine was on full and would shock an amazing 15ft away from the fence from both sides, so your looking at 30 ft of electricution. Not saying it was nice for the dogs but I got tired of running after dogs bread for running, I live near swamps.

Had to get rid of the boxers for reasons other then running so I dont want you to think the fence wasnt a success. The dog we have now is a testiment to how wel the fence works. We now have a Chocolate Lab, has to be one of the dumbest dogs I have ever seen but he is a former run away. He ran away from his former owner at least once a week and get picked up by the pound. I brought him into my yard and he got out once, but that was due to the fence not being on. This dog has been zapped so many times by him sniffing out the weak spots that he wont cross the fence even when his battery dies. I aint lyin, we could take the shock collar off and it would still not leave the yard.

If you are having issues with your dog leaving a wired fence. Get the system that is like a pole in the middle of your property and brovides a blanket affect on your yard. This is one of the only systems that keeps shocking your dog while outside till it comes back, unlike wired fences stop shocking and therefore keep the dog out of the yard.

So far it has kept my neighbors dogs off me. They just greet me at the beginning and end of every ride :laugh:

Depends on the breed. Larger dogs can take more shock, and more tempted to test it. I have two smaller dogs and they obey the fence. I wouldn't trust it with a husky.

Thanks all.

So far so good, both dogs are not crossing the fence. We obviously only have them in the yard when we are home. The real test will be when the Husky grows up.

Problem number two though, they were tearing up my garden just landscaped, running through beds, pulling out shrubs and flowers. This is now hard electric fenced, seems to be doing OK, but they are still getting used to it.

Not easy to have big dogs in the city.

Give up on the yard with Huskys. They are diggers. When my daughter brings her two over they dig and dig. They love it.

...Problem number two though, they were tearing up my garden just landscaped, running through beds, pulling out shrubs and flowers.

what if another dog comes into said fence and starts fighting with your dog??? that's the one thing i have been afraid of with invisible fences. A friend of mine had a Siberian, she learned to go thru the fence at an older age, he finally gave up and put up a fence for her.

Back