Inversion therapy

TruWrecks

Banned
Okay folks,

I want some very honest thoughts on this.

I went to get another MRI yesterday and the Tech ask me, with a very concerned expression "What did you do to you're back?" It sounds like I totally screwed up my lower back (again). I can't do much until it's fixed, so I'm looking for ideas to do some natural pain control. I can't stand the side-effects and feeling from taking pain meds. I have to take enough to be legally under the influence before it takes the edge off. I can't live like that anymore.

A good friend of mine said I should try an inversion table. He has been using one for almost a year now. He said it's the best money he's ever spent on his health. I'm going to bring that up to the VA on Tuesday and see what they say about it.

Basically, if it will reduce nerve pressure and won't do any further damage I'm going to try it.

Are any others hear using an inversion table, and what is your take on it?

Thanks.

Have you done the physiotherapy route, to strenghthen your core muscles?
My back was wrecked and I went that route and the exercises that I did helped a lot.
Those exercises are NOT situps, sidebends and the like.
It took 6 months but it did make a difference.
Not knowing what is wrong with your back, makes it very hard to recommend anything.
What have you tried so far?
And may I ask how heavy are you?
A good professional may help some.
My brother tried an inversion table and it helped some, but I guess not long term, as he does not use it anymore. That too may be an individual thing. JMO
If it won't hurt go for it and see what it does for you.
Back pain is a real drag and my sympathy goes out to you.
Hang in there!

Last edited:
I have been doing core muscle exercises regularly since 2005 when I had part of L4-L5 removed because it was herniated severely.

Right now, according to what I did see from the MRI, I have almost no disc remaining for L5-S1. I have very little left of L4-L5, which has had a major rupture a couple of weeks ago. L3-L4 has a bulge on the right rear area. Root nerves L4-S1 are being affected on both sides. I will have the official results Monday when I call the VA back.

First, I highly recommend Acupuncture. Nobody knows why it works but it effin' works.

After that gets you over the hump, start doing deadlifts with LOW weights and GRADUALLY work your way up. This helped my back tremendously.

--Wag--

Wag,

I have been doing varied deadlifts for quite some time for core muscle and back muscle workouts. Right now I'm more concerned with getting some pain relief without drugs. I can't stand the side effects I'm getting with the pain meds, and I can only take so much ice on my back before I can't walk at all. When the nerves get cold enough to be numb I can no longer feel my feet or support myself with no feeling in my legs. I do appreciate the input though.

Hope you get straight my brother. Been there, but no where near as bad as you.

Inversion table hurt me more than it helped me. But as usual, I am the exception to the rule.

Wag,

I have been doing varied deadlifts for quite some time for core muscle and back muscle workouts. Right now I'm more concerned with getting some pain relief without drugs. I can't stand the side effects I'm getting with the pain meds, and I can only take so much ice on my back before I can't walk at all. When the nerves get cold enough to be numb I can no longer feel my feet or support myself with no feeling in my legs. I do appreciate the input though.

I understand, brother. Try the acupuncture. You may be surprised and for certain, you have nothing to lose by doing so.

I wasn't aware that you were a lifter so my suggestion was intended to be more generic in nature.

So is the acupuncture suggestion but I've seen it do some amazing things for people.

--Wag--

I guess I should also include both Inversion Therapy and Traction Therapy. I wont to be well prepared when I talk with the doctor on Tuesday.

Would you mind giving me some of the details? PM me if you don't want it on a public forum. I would appreciate both pros, and cons.

Mine was L4 and L5. Had no disc at all. My L4 was shifted forward and to the side just rubbing on each other. Not sure why it hurt but it hurt like hell to be on the inversion table. Caused problems leg numbness as well.

a bunch of years of boat racing and I have a few back issues... I wanted to try inversion (DRS) therapy when I was told I needed a T5-6 and 7 fused.. and a few other bulges further down in the L's
Insurance wont pay for therapy but they will pay for surgery.. Anyway, I have good months and bad months.. I get vicodin hp's 120 at a time.. I am not going to get any surgery unless I cant walk..

Have you checked for a local chiro that does DRS? they can releive specific disks with their gizmo.. before I shell out $3500 I would like to know if it works

I used an inversion table fo ra few weeks before i had my back surgery. Did NOT work for me. Total waste of money. Lucky i sold it for as much as i bought it. My opinion is don't waste your money. There are better alternatives. PT is the best thing you can do. My surgery worked out great. I'm at 100% 1 year after.

Last edited:
a bunch of years of boat racing and I have a few back issues... I wanted to try inversion (DRS) therapy when I was told I needed a T5-6 and 7 fused.. and a few other bulges further down in the L's
Insurance wont pay for therapy but they will pay for surgery.. Anyway, I have good months and bad months.. I get vicodin hp's 120 at a time.. I am not going to get any surgery unless I cant walk..

Have you checked for a local chiro that does DRS? they can releive specific disks with their gizmo.. before I shell out $3500 I would like to know if it works

The gizmo is a traction table that does the same thing an inversion table does, only to a more focused area.

Being I can't really ride right now I'm open to trying something that's new to me. I found an online seller for Teeter Hang-ups that has no restocking fee, and a 30 day 100% money back policy. If it doesn't work I will be able to return it for the cost of return shipping. That's cheaper than what I could rent one for.

the straight inversion thing (hang by the ankles) put too much stretch on my lower back and I need it upstairs.. I suppose I am tired of so many claiming so much when all they are is greedy hacks trying to lighten my wallet.. :laugh:

The traction machine worked wonders on me. Felt fantastic afterwards. Haven't used one since the fusion though.

Ahem, you can send some of those HP's anytime you want............I'm jus sayin:whistle:

Wear your helmet and hang upside down. A good table will allow you to vary the angle. Putting a helmet on will provide a few pounds of traction on your neck and upper back.

Back