Back questions...

Speednut

Registered
Hi everyone. I'm 26 years old. I did some heavy heavy lifting in high school, a couple injuries, etc. like many have had. About 3 years ago is when the everyday very bad pain in my lower back bacame unmanageable. FINALLY couldnt take it anymore and went to the doctor. After x-rays, and scans it was found that I have degenerative disc disease, and a protruding,herniated disc. He also says the hefty arthritis in my lower spine doesnt help. I am so worried that I am out of options on this. I didnt want the fusion surgery cause it has not worked great for some older friends of mine. (I'm a police officer, so most of the guys I hang around with are substantially older, but young at heart) I would not really want surgery unless I could be guaranteed a fix. So i started Physical Therapy about 6 months ago. All it did was take the edge off of the pain once in a while. I have been on Darvocett, and other nerve killers. But pain meds have to be able to be used with my job, so I try keeping that to a minimum. Anyone have any different ideas? voodoo doctor stuff? accupuncture? chiropractor? Or, the latest thing I saw was an inversion table that flips you upside down to hang by your feet, and supposedly relieves pressure from the spine. Might try that out real soon if I can. Saw one at Sam's club... Anything would be much appreciated. I cant keep keeping on with this terrible pain. At 26! Man, will I be walking anymore at 30?

I suffered from a herniated disc for over 3 years, 4 different doctors, tons of physical therapy, trips to the chiropractor, etc before I finally opted for surgery...

The chiropractic visits helped, and had I been able to withstand the pain long enough, I often wonder if he wouldn't have been able to get my back better and the pain more under control. When it finally "went" out bad, I had little choice but to get the surgery to trim away the bulging disc...it was a relatively painless surgery, not invasive at all and now, 2 years later, worth it...I still have some pain in that same lower area of my back, but it's tolerable...doesn't mean it won't come back, but for now, I'm much better off than I was 2 years previous...

I didn't have the degenerative disease that you've been diagnosed with, so it's going to be a personal decision on your part...second and third opinions from doctors you trust isn't a bad idea, and perhaps you'd benefit from an epidural available to those with chronic back pain...

I know exactly how you feel...my pain was unbearable from 32 - 35, and I often wondered what I'd be like in 10 years if I kept going in that direction...back ailments are so incredibly painful and difficult to deal with...being drugged up all of the time isn't fun either...

I hope you find relief, SOON! Best of luck...tons here with back ailments...

The hubby (Sambusa) had back problems for years. Finally had to have surgery. He was 28 when he had it done. He's doing great now. Before the surgery he was at the point pain meds didn't even touch it. I'm sure he'd be happy to fill you in once he gets on here. My dad uses an inversion table. He loves it. He doesn't need to go to the chiropractor anymore - swears by it, but he doesn't have the problems you do.

If you buy an inversion table get it from a reputable fitness equipment dealer. The one at Sam's may look good but try to read some reviews before plunking down the cash.

I know exactly how you feel save for the degenerative disc disease. I've had herniated discs L4-L5 (most common) since around age 19 but wasn't diagnosed until around age 27 when I had severe scyatic nerve symptoms to the point of collapse when standing after prolonged sitting.

My best advice is to avoid surgery if at all possible. Surgeons will paint a pretty picture for you so that they can get another procedure under their belts.

Try everything else first. Core-Strengthening exercises, weightloss, minimizing high-impact exercise, stretching via inversion table, pilates, chiropractic adjustment(with reputable chiropractor). Sometimes simple adjustments in sitting posture make all the difference.

Swimming is one of the most effective activities to relieve back pain symptoms, believe me when I tell you to try it. Give it a week, seems like kicking back but the act of floating and propelling yourself around a pool or lake or coastline will really challenge your core and get everything working together.

As many back pain sufferers have read and experienced, it comes and goes, usually with periods of poor physical fitness. Try a few things honestly and diligently before signing the consent and waiver forms for surgery (you know, the ones that practically tell you, you could die).

I'm with ya.. herniated discs, arthritis and degenerative disc disease (3 lumbar, 2 cervical).
Done everything you've done. PT, drugs.

I've found fish oil tablets help with the arthritis. Cortisone injects for the nerve pain. I also have a lumbar traction device, and a cervical traction device. Those help on the really bad days. Use them for about a week, and it eases the presure.

They have really good options on back surgeries now.. disc replacement with the soft silicone pads - those retain your movement, or someone else mentioned the ball and joint method. It's a disc replacement, but it's more of a "ball bearing" type gizmo.

Good luck to you... if you do the inversion table, let me know how it works. I've been looking at those too.

Avoid surgery at all costs... I was very against chiropractors (thought it was quackery), but the wife talked me into giving it a try.. It took a good 6 months of going 2-3 times a week, but my back has been completely relieved of all pain, and the discs are healing nicely.. When your spine is out of alignment (they call it subluxation), the vertebrae pinch the discs which lead to rupture or herniation. Get that spine straightened out, and you will be on the road to recovery. The main thing is PATIENCE.. Your back didn't get this way overnight, and will take time to heal, but please give it a good 6 month try before going under the knife... Also, you need to find a chiro. who is a Palmer Graduate. I have found that they are the best (IMO) and use almost 100% hands on manipulation..

Same boat as you are. Traction helped me a great deal. I would get on the rack for an hour at least a day during PT., and at night had a contraption they installed in my house that I used for hours. I have 3 bad disk in my lower back (also with degenerative arthritis) and 2 in my neck all as a result of imjuries sustained. A Chiro helped me, but only on a limite basis. Like you Ihave held off having surgey to wait for a better procedure. The are gaining in ground with medical techniques. My dad and a few friends have had the fusion surgey. All are very haoppy with the results after the post surgey recovery is complete. They are as able bodied as they ever were. The movement you give up is un noticeable. I have learned to manage what aggravates mine, and to be honest will get the surgery to finally get the best quality of life.

They are getting better and better at the surgical options. A few weeks of pain in recovery is better than than the years of pain and compromise it takes to "live with it" broken.

lurk.gif

back.jpg

These are xrays after my spinal fusion.  There were days that I could hardly get out of bed before the surgery.  After having the surgery, I have some aches every once in awhile but not like it was.  And I get sore after doing long trips on the bike.  But before the surgery I would have never been able to do a 600mile day or a 1300 mile weekend.

I had no disc.  It was beyond herniated.  I was bone on bone.  Not a good feeling.  Highly recommended
beerchug.gif

back1.jpg

HEY BUD , BEEN THERE , DONE THAT...I SUFFERED WITH A BAD BACK SINCE I WAS 22 YEARS OLD, It finally gave out..I couldnt walk, couldnt pick up my legs, and couldnt sleep. Then it got worse!!! But all healed up now! 45 years old now 27 years of martial arts and heavy construction everyday .. Stiiiiill going !If you want the no BS approach and you're serious, Drop me a pm and I'll tell ya what I did to correct it.. In fact I've been writing a book on it.. Later ME

The hubby (Sambusa) had back problems for years.  Finally had to have surgery.  He was 28 when he had it done.  He's doing great now.  Before the surgery he was at the point pain meds didn't even touch it.  I'm sure he'd be happy to fill you in once he gets on here.  My dad uses an inversion table.  He loves it.  He doesn't need to go to the chiropractor anymore - swears by it, but he doesn't have the problems you do.
Traction works great for me. I love my inversion table, it's the best thing I ever bought. The feeling is incredible as it gets everything aligned and pulled back into place. I really know it's working when I can actually hear a few pops and cracks.
9 out of 10 times it kills off my lower back pain provided I use it *soon enough*. I found that using it past a certain pain threshold can cause really bad things to happen. Let's just say I keep a cordless phone on me now while using it.

Next best thing I bought is my I-Joy massage chair (using it right now). It doesn't do anything for nerve pain but I believe tense muscles eventually lead to that pain so it's great preventative maintenance...plus it feels so good after a rough day at work!
smile.gif

I like anything that keeps me off the pain pills the doctors automatically prescribe.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. I forgot to mention, I had also already taken a prescription of oral steroids, and when those didnt work, they gave me the series of three seperate epidural injections in my spine. It relieved some pain, but only for about 7-9 days and then it would come right back. I am leaning, I guess, towards trying out a reputable chiropractor maybe, and going to get some medical opinions on those inversion tables too. Gotta do some more research on those things to see which is worth the money, and which seems to work the best. Its just hard to believe that I can be in so much pain and discomfort at my age. Oh well. The positives so far are that physical therapy has taught me to change my posture, standing and sitting, and use lumbar supports when I am in a car for long periods. If anyone knows a good chiropractor in the Naperville,IL area, I would be interested to find one. Thanks again.

I crushed my L1 (lumbar) in an automobile accident when I was 18. I have never been the same. I am not in major amounts of pain, but I always feel like I need to be put on a machine that will stretch out my body. I literally have to take a hot shower in the morning just to get mobile cause I always stiffen up after sleeping.
I was always told that going under the knife is last resort, but everyone is different..

These are xrays after my spinal fusion.  There were days that I could hardly get out of bed before the surgery.  After having the surgery, I have some aches every once in awhile but not like it was.  And I get sore after doing long trips on the bike.  But before the surgery I would have never been able to do a 600mile day or a 1300 mile weekend.

I had no disc.  It was beyond herniated.  I was bone on bone.  Not a good feeling.  Highly recommended
beerchug.gif
you look like me accept i have 2 sets of those.and waiting for the time to add another set.been a long and painful 6 years.

beerchug.gif
you look like me accept i have 2 sets of those.and waiting for the time to add another set.been a long and painful 6 years.
Do you set off any metal detectors??
whistling.gif

Hi everyone. I'm 26 years old. I did some heavy heavy lifting in high school, a couple injuries, etc. like many have had. About 3 years ago is when the everyday very bad pain in my lower back bacame unmanageable. FINALLY couldnt take it anymore and went to the doctor. After x-rays, and scans it was found that I have degenerative disc disease, and a protruding,herniated disc. He also says the hefty arthritis in my lower spine doesnt help. I am so worried that I am out of options on this. I didnt want the fusion surgery cause it has not worked great for some older friends of mine. (I'm a police officer, so most of the guys I hang around with are substantially older, but young at heart) I would not really want surgery unless I could be guaranteed a fix. So i started Physical Therapy about 6 months ago. All it did was take the edge off of the pain once in a while. I have been on Darvocett, and other nerve killers. But pain meds have to be able to be used with my job, so I try keeping that to a minimum. Anyone have any different ideas? voodoo doctor stuff? accupuncture? chiropractor? Or, the latest thing I saw was an inversion table that flips you upside down to hang by your feet, and supposedly relieves pressure from the spine. Might try that out real soon if I can. Saw one at Sam's club... Anything would be much appreciated. I cant keep keeping on with this terrible pain. At 26! Man, will I be walking anymore at 30?
Degenerative disc and arthritis<sp>are pretty much untreatable.short of disc replacements and fusions.you are still young enough that you should get the full benefits of these surgeries.bones healing and recovery rate and phisical therapies afterward.as for any guarantees.there are none.you would be very lucky to not ever have some substantial pain the rest of your life.but it would give you some securities that it wouldnt parylize you later.knowing that you have solid bone in your lower back helps with the insecuritys of having total disc rupture and that leading to spinalcord damage.Ihad 2 total disc ruptures and had lost all bowel continence.<uncontrollable bowell movements>until i had no choices left.i live on lortabs and muscle relaxors 24/7 and will for the forseeable future.i still have one more fusion to go but ill wait till i possibly cant stand it anymore.Take care of the problem now dont wait till its to late.dont end up in wheelchair.you can still ride wit multiple fusions.you just stop a little mor frequently. Good luck.prayers are with you.

beerchug.gif
Do you set off any metal detectors??
whistling.gif
Havent had any trouble at airports.been through numerous detectors.mabey certain types of metals used have something to do with it.my plates are chromium steel with titanium screws.i have heard of some setting off detectors though

I've had two back surgeries. One in Sept.2001 and another in May 2003. After the first one the doctor said I shouldn't have any problems. Only one out of every 100 will ingure the same disk again. I was out fishing when the 9/11 happend. It felt great. Well 1.5 years later I was one of the 100. The second time didn't go as smooth, Because the he had to go through scar tissue. I was very sore for about 3 weeks then it was manageable. But for about 2 years there, If i would move wrong I would loose the feeling in my legs and drop like a bag of bricks. I started excerising more regulary and now i'm almost 100%. And like somebody said, Mussle tension has a lot to do with it. And I think working out and then stretching helped with that.

wow. i didn't realize how expensive the decent inversion tables cost. i wish i could try before i bought one. anyone know where to find good ones cheap? if i knew it would work for me, i would pay thousands. but if it doesnt i dont wanna be stuck with even a 300 dollar thing that i cant use. i found that teeter hang-ups seem to be decent quality. and they advertise a 30 day money back guarantee. thats probably my best option for now. except that was on ebay. to get the 30 day guarantee, i would need to pay 400 from the actual manufacturer. this stinks. the stamina brand at sams club has bad reviews everywhere unfortunayely.

wow. i didn't realize how expensive the decent inversion tables cost. i wish i could try before i bought one. anyone know where to find good ones cheap? if i knew it would work for me, i would pay thousands. but if it doesnt i dont wanna be stuck with even a 300 dollar thing that i cant use. i found that teeter hang-ups seem to be decent quality. and they advertise a 30 day money back guarantee. thats probably my best option for now. except that was on ebay. to get the 30 day guarantee, i would need to pay 400 from the actual manufacturer. this stinks. the stamina brand at sams club has bad reviews everywhere unfortunayely.
Most Chiro's have them in their offices. My father-in-law has one. It caused more problems for me than it did good.

Back