Insurance in Harris county (Houston TX.)

LE BUSA

Donating Member
Registered
Well here it is another **** insurance question, so that I can compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. This question is just for the Busa riders that live in or around Harris county (Houston Texas). For those of you that don't live here, insurance costs in Harris county are the highest in the State of Texas, the last time I checked, and are near the top nation wide. OK the question is how much extortian money are you paying to operate your Busa here and to whom are you paying it to? At this time I am paying $288.00 per month to Progressive for full coverage but no PIP and $1000.00 deductible.
mad.gif
There has got to be something better.
brave.gif

Interesting - I am reading a copy of Motor Cyclist magazine, and they have a ad for a company called McGraw Insurance Services.

I tried their online quote, and depending on the coverages they came back with estimated from 2000 / year to 2271 / year. Ridiculous.

Call your local State Farm office. Be aware that they do NOT cover medical costs. I'm 48 years old, married, with a clean record and I pay 450 / year for full coverage in Iowa. That rate takes into consideration that the riding season is shorter here, so their rates will be different in Texas.

Also, age, marital status, credit score, tickets, accidents, etc. all factor into the rate.

Shop around. Progressive sucks for sportbikes. So does Geico, so does Nationwide, even though they tout their affiliation with AMA (they have an ad featuring the "AMA / Nationwide Ninja ZX-14" - yeah, get a quote on that bad boy). They wanted 1600 a year for my busa, and that was the best quote of the 3 I just mentioned.

Good luck.

(pward76 @ Mar. 02 2007,21:53) Interesting - I am reading a copy of Motor Cyclist magazine, and they have a ad for a company called McGraw Insurance Services.  

I tried their online quote, and depending on the coverages they came back with estimated from 2000 / year to 2271 / year.  Ridiculous.

Call your local State Farm office.  Be aware that they do NOT cover medical costs.  I'm 48 years old, married, with a clean record and I pay 450 / year for full coverage in Iowa.  That rate takes into consideration that the riding season is shorter here, so their rates will be different in Texas.

Also, age, marital status, credit score, tickets, accidents, etc. all factor into the rate.

Shop around.  Progressive sucks for sportbikes.  So does Geico, so does Nationwide, even though they tout their affiliation with AMA (they have an ad featuring the "AMA / Nationwide Ninja ZX-14" - yeah, get a quote on that bad boy).  They wanted 1600 a year for my busa, and that was the best quote of the 3 I just mentioned.

Good luck.
Wow $450 a year! I need to move out of this place. Thanks for your reply. By the way I'm 50 no accidents or tickets and still was *******. I'm financing the Busa so the high insurance cost was the price of admission out the door.

I live in McLennan county and pay $1200 a year full coverage w/ $500 ded. w/ State Farm.

I would sell the bike if I had to pay that much I pay right about 780 a year full coverage on two bikes (02 busa and 07 gsxr 600)

man, you guys are getting RAPED. I have State Farm, and I pay $261 a year for full coverage with a $250 deductible.

I live in Harris County but outside the beltway in Tomball. When I bought my bike, I was quoted $2600 a year for full coverage with a $500 deductible. I ended up going with that cause it was the cheapest I could find. When I moved to Annapolis for work, I kept the same address in Tomball, just told them I was relocating temporarily... they revised my billing because of the demographics change. My bill then dropped to $900 for the year with full coverage and a $50 deductible!!

My suggestion is to tell them you are taking a job somewhere else but your permanent address is still in Harris County. That way if anything ever happens to your bike here... you can just say you were visiting home.

Best of luck!

I'm next door in Ft. Bend county. The least expensive I found was State Farm, but they would not write the policy unless I moved my cars there. They were NOT The cheapest car insurance, so I didn't feel it was worth gaining $150 on the bike and loosing $300 on the cars. At any rate (pardon the pun), I went with Progressive and mixed the deductables (500 on comp and 1000 on collision). Rate for this old fart (50 years young, no tickets, excellent - no, make that PERFECT credit) was still $1150.  
wow.gif

Insurance rates here are simply INSANE!

I think agents must be different or try to get nmore business because my agent at State Farm said that the bike policy would have to be seperate from anything else. It is the only thing I have with them. Even if I added a car policy it would not change my rate for the bike.

I may check on the fire n causualty someone else talked about

I live in Wichita Falls TX and my rate up here through USAA is $380 every 6 months... and thats the best anyone can do... I have no accidents or tickets either and have a $500 deductable!

(Sloto200 @ Mar. 03 2007,09:50) I live in Wichita Falls TX and my rate up here through USAA is $380 every 6 months... and thats the best anyone can do...  I have no accidents or tickets either and have a $500 deductable!
You are also Military and thus you get a completely different rate. Even Geico, another Government Insurance agency allows significantly reduced rates for Military personnel versus sticking it to the regular consumer.

Just so you know where some of that $380/6 months goes. I just replaced the chrome handrails on USAA's $47mil Gulfstream G-V.

(Sloto200 @ Mar. 03 2007,09:50) I live in Wichita Falls TX and my rate up here through USAA is $380 every 6 months... and thats the best anyone can do...  I have no accidents or tickets either and have a $500 deductable!
You are also Military and thus you get a completely different rate. Even Geico, another Government Insurance agency allows significantly reduced rates for Military personnel versus sticking it to the regular consumer.

Just so you know where some of that $380/6 months goes. I just replaced the chrome handrails on USAA's $47mil Gulfstream G-V.

You are also Military and thus you get a completely different rate.  Even Geico, another Government Insurance agency allows significantly reduced rates for Military personnel versus sticking it to the regular consumer.  

Just so you know where some of that $380/6 months goes.  I just replaced the chrome handrails on USAA's $47mil Gulfstream G-V.

Back