I'm thinking about one, too

whart

Registered
FJ Rider's query about whether he was ready for a 'Busa was on target for me, too. I started riding about 4 years ago (at the age of 46) after a number of years behind the wheel of high performance cars. I never considered myself athletic, or necessarily coordinated, but I took the MSS course and bought my first bike, a Ducati Monster 750, which was easy to maneuver, light and handled pretty well. I found the Ducati a little small for my frame 6'1" 235lbs, and rode it less than I wanted to because after a couple hours, I felt beat up.
I bought a V-Rod from a car colleague last year- I put brembos, mid-controls and other goodies on it to make it more rideable for me, and found that it compensated for the shortcomings of the Ducati, but with obvious "baggage" of its own- too big, heavy and not enough road feel. I still ride the V-Rod occasionally, but it's not my choice for great distances either.
Bought a Moto Guzzi Le Mans (Nero Corsa) very recently and fell in love. The bike is much more predictable than the Ducati, turns-in beautifully and tracks well (it has the full Ohlins suspension), and while it is no power monster, it is fun to ride, and quite comfortable. I learned from the seating position on this bike that I have more comfort with the sports position than i do with the upright (the Monster is more upright than the superbikes and the Harley is, well, a Harley). My weight is no longer on my tailbone, and I don't really feel fatigued at the wrists, either, in riding the Guzzi.
So, this is a long precis to saying that a big sport bike might actually be the ticket.
I'd love your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

if your looking for a super-comfortable long-trip bike, no.

if your ready for a comfortable fast, turnable, lots of torque bike... its the one... imho. you can add bar risers and custom seats and footrests for extra comfort.... plenty of luggage accessories available, etc....... the list goes on.

I am sure you would not be dissapointed!

I have owned many bikes over the years my latest was a GL1800 (Goldwing). I pushed that bike for every inch of its life.

I added a BUSA to the stall a month ago and man what an awesome move. I have put a 100 miles on it so far. Serveral long days, my longest was 450. I am a pretty big guy for a sports bike 6'3" 250 (and 40) and after adding a set of risers I find it very comfortable.

Good luck on your decision.

Thanks for the quick replies, you two. I guess what i'm trying to figure out before buying the bike is the following:

1. I'm not really an overnite touring kind a guy, with bags and stuff, but a 150-250 mile run a couple times during the weekend, or on a weekday when i can fit it in, is what I'm about. I don't have to fight urban traffic, but will encounter the usual clogged arteries through the towns between backroads, so I guess i'm asking if the bike is manageable in stop and go situations; frankly, the V-Rod, which is a big heavy bike, is not that hard for me to handle in bumper to bumper situations, but it is a long, heavy thing, in addition to not being that comfortable after 100 miles.
2. The Guzzi clip-ons bother me less and less (i ordered bar risers but haven't gotten them yet) so i'm a little suprised that the crouched over riding position is as comfortable as it is; i don't know if any of you have had ridden the Guzzi, but i'm just wondering if the Busa is much more extreme in the riding position. (The thing that ultimately fatigues me is the foot control position on the bikes I've had so far- too cramped- i am waiting to install some adjustable pegs on the Guzzi for this reason).
3. "Twitchiness" - i don't know if this was simply a function of how my Ducati was set up, but throttle on/off was completely binary, on/off- very hard to modulate at low throttle positions. By contrast, both the Harley and Guzzi are manageable in the finest increments; i can roll on very gently but it may be more a function of the mass of those bikes (the Ducati was really lite by comparsion).
I guess there's no substitute for just riding the damn thing and seeing how i like it, right? I've never been convinced that test drives/rides can tell you much, since i take my time acclimating to any new vehicle. So, short of buying one to find out if i like it, any other thoughts?

<!--EDIT|whart
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117546025 -->

If the duck's throttle was too on/off for you, then the Busa is probably not going to be your cup of tea. It doesn't have the heavy flywheel inertia of a Harley to keep the thottle super smooth in bumper to bumper situations. (I come from a Harley/Buell background - I know what you're talking about.)

That being said...The Busa is WAY more fun!!

I guess there's no substitute for just riding the damn thing and seeing how i like it, right?
>>>>>>

You said it, thats about it. Especially since you have owned some unique bikes and its not likely you will find another Busa owner that has had all of them.

The Busa is not necessarily a comfy bike compared to a Lazy Boy lounger but compared to a GSX-R1000 its very comfortable.
The Busa's steering is not twitchy.
As far as seating position goes the weight should be carried by your back and midsection not your arms, after all its still a sportbike. If you want the weight on your butt then get an upright bike.

Try to borrow a friends Busa first, if you know someone who trusts you. That way you will get an idea what it is like.

But IMHO, it is not the big bad beast it is made out to be. Yes it CAN be dangerous, especially for a newbie who has no wrist control or and empty head.

But it sounds like you have ridden enough to know what you will like. So if you have done the research and feel the Busa fits your qualifications, then go ahead and get one!
smile.gif

Everytime I tell someone my next bike is gonna be a busa, they try to change my mind and push me towards a Tuono or Gixxer 600/750 or some 900 series Honda. They never seem to listen to the part where I say I want somethhing I can reach the ground well on! Everyone seems to think an upright naked bike is perfect for me. Nevermind the fact that I have neck and back issues that make naked bikes VERY uncomfortable at high speeds! (Most recently I had to ride a Tuono back from Fontana and was PISSED and MISERABLE and in PAIN by the time I got home!) Not to mention I don't like the looks of the naked bikes and I want something with a MORE aggressive riding position than my F2.

So after much consideration and having the opportunity to test ride both a Mille Factory and CB's Busa (which I steal every chance I get!) I realized my feelings were dead on! The Busa is exactly what I have been wanting and more!

So go with your instincts and ENJOY!
biggrin.gif

Your a fairly big dude. This is a bike that fits big guys right. It's quit comfy but not like a standard. For a sport bike it has so much to offer....Smooth, lots of grunt and very well behaved....... I mean even around town it"s well behaved and easy to ride. It does show it's weight at slow speeds though. It does twisties well also but not like a shorter wheel base 600 or something. All in all it's a well rounded ride and I think you would enjoy it very much!...Good luck with your choice. BTW..I'm 42 and moved to this bike from a standard and was not sorry.

Go to a dealer and sit on one, borrow a friend's (if he'll/she'll give you the keys) and take one for a spin. That's the only way you will know if it is for you. This is a Busa forum so we are a little biased. We are however, pretty straightforward about its limitations also. It can be made to do about whatever you want it to do, so I don't think you will be disappointed in anyway with this bike.

All I have to say it is very very stable. The throttle is not twitchy for me at all. It is a well planted high horsepower machine and is very fun to ride. Very solid in the turns and good for long or short distances. My hands get numb on occasion but only when I am hitting the turns alot. I guess I am hanging on so damn tight is what causes the numbness. Rode an 04 R1 and I was numb in the hands after a few miles.

Thanks for the quick replies, you two. I guess what i'm trying to figure out before buying the bike is the following:

1. I'm not really an overnite touring kind a guy, with bags and stuff, but a 150-250 mile run a couple times during the weekend, or on a weekday when i can fit it in, is what I'm about. I don't have to fight urban traffic, but will encounter the usual clogged arteries through the towns between backroads, so I guess i'm asking if the bike is manageable in stop and go situations; frankly, the V-Rod, which is a big heavy bike, is not that hard for me to handle in bumper to bumper situations, but it is a long, heavy thing, in addition to not being that comfortable after 100 miles.
2. The Guzzi clip-ons bother me less and less (i ordered bar risers but haven't gotten them yet) so i'm a little suprised that the crouched over riding position is as comfortable as it is; i don't know if any of you have had ridden the Guzzi, but i'm just wondering if the Busa is much more extreme in the riding position. (The thing that ultimately fatigues me is the foot control position on the bikes I've had so far- too cramped- i am waiting to install some adjustable pegs on the Guzzi for this reason).
3. "Twitchiness" - i don't know if this was simply a function of how my Ducati was set up, but throttle on/off was completely binary, on/off- very hard to modulate at low throttle positions. By contrast, both the Harley and Guzzi are manageable in the finest increments; i can roll on very gently but it may be more a function of the mass of those bikes (the Ducati was really lite by comparsion).
I guess there's no substitute for just riding the damn thing and seeing how i like it, right? I've never been convinced that test drives/rides can tell you much, since i take my time acclimating to any new vehicle. So, short of buying one to find out if i like it, any other thoughts?
1) The busa is pretty good in bumber-bumper situations!! I can vouch for that cause thats the kind of traffic I get to ride in most of the time here in India!! Of course too much of bumper-to-bumper does fatige you a lil cause you feel the weight of the bike more when the speeds are lower. If you are refering to Manhatten kinda of traffic... for a prolonged period, well the girl can tire you a bit.

2) I have not seen the Guzzi ... or sat on one, so I cant give you a comparison there. But I have ridden quite a few liter bikes... and 600's and no the busa is not too crouched like a thourough bred track bike! Pretty good for the long runs...

3) The throttle response is sharp... but predictable!!
tounge.gif
Thats the part I like the most.

having said that... like all the other members here have said... the best way to decide if a bike is for you or not is to sit on one... or ride one!!

Good luck with your choice...

<!--EDIT|shenoyp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117593105 -->

This bike will run circles around a V-Rod and Ducati. And for a whole lot less money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whart - I see we're in about the same boat, even size and age wise.
My thread generated a ton of good information which convinced me to go ahead with purchasing one. (By the way, thanks to all!). Based on what I've read I'm convinced I shouldn't have any problem handling the Busa, although I'm sure there's no way I'll ever get close to seeing it's top end performance. I'm noticing the older I get, the less balls I have, or the more sense I have - probably both!
biggrin.gif

I'm planning on picking up a 2005 model in September, after I get a few other priorities out of the way. Either black/silver, or blue/silver. I'm not sure if I'll end up keeping my FJR or not. I'll have to wait and see if I really need both I guess.

I've read more than one post stating people picking up their busa from the dealership had them "shaking" in their shoes, at their first ride! Then again, many have written saying if you keep it under 5,000 rpm it's tame. The dealer I'm planning on buying from is unfortunately located in a super busy traffic area, so I might have mine delivered so I can get the new tires heated up properly on the back roads, plus get the feel of it before venturing out in traffic.

I can't explain exactly why I'm so drawn to the Busa, but I damn sure am!

In case you haven't seen it, check out the movie clip on this website; MOVIES - > busa.wmv. Absolutely awesome!

Good luck with your decision!
smile.gif

Whart-- I can't give you a real world testimonial because of our height differences. That being said there are many mods that you can do to the hayabusa including:
Risers
Pegs
Tobin Seat (preferred around these parts)
windscreen
and on & on & on.

I have personally done a ride in the 1000's and was able to ride the next day:laugh: don't get me wrong, I had a case of monkey butt, but not so bad that I couldn't ride.

I think you will find the busa tame & managable for the amount of weight & power you have at your wrist while you're in traffic! When you're not in traffic the busa is mind blowing!
biggrin.gif
I don't think you will have a problem with the busa at all and recommend you give it a serious consideration.

Hail the busa!
super.gif

P.S. When you & FJR get your busa's you both know that we need pics. (Just a forewarning before you get bombarded by the masses!):laugh:

You guys have been great so far- i promise to keep you posted. In the meantime, i'll try to attach a pic of the V-Rod and Guzzi (with my latest Italian exoticar in the background, just for kicks). Regards, Bill Hart

<!--EDIT|whart
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117636212 -->

boots_Rod_001.jpg

An enviable garage, indeed. Very nice stuff. It would look even better with a Busa in there also......

<!--EDIT|Mr Brown
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117675252 -->

Whart:

Welcome aboard.

Bought a Moto Guzzi Le Mans (Nero Corsa) very recently and fell in love.[/QUOTE]

Forget I said welcome, now I hate you.
wink.gif
I love the V11 Le Manses, and the Nero Corsa is SO sweet. I really really want one of those too (plus that signature lean the Guzzi's do when you rev them thanks to that trasverse v-twin... so nice).

As for the throttle n the Busa, I find it to be quite adaptable and smooth rolin on and off, but you have to teach yourself that a very little twist of the throttle goes a VERY long way. Once you find where that is, it's very easy to smoothly progress as you need. (And yeah, I'd agree with your assessment of the ducati's throttle response. I noticed it on a friends Monster 620 too. Might be a very Ducati Thing. ™)

Back