Busa for Ducati?

Yes an S4R is a 4valve motor, and on all the 4valves the maintenance is more expensive due to having twice the valves and being that they are water cooled everything is packed in very tight so you have some labor $$ just getting to the valves in comparison to the 2valve bikes. The monster or S4 range is a little cheaper than the superbikes(748/to 1198) since they have fairing to remove. That being said I am a 2valve guy . I think the motor is beautiful and the maintenance is a breeze and being air cooled they are very uncomplicated. That is why my current duck is an "old" 900ss. The new 2valves make more power and require less attention. But even my 98FE only needs the belts changed every 2 years which takes about 10minutes and I check the valves once a year. That is more frequently than required buut I do it anyway. The Desmodromic valve actuation is a thing of beauty and after doing evrything from panheads with adjustable push rods and old brit bikes with screw in adjusters to all the overhead cam jap bikes I would say it is the easiest. On the 2valves anyways. the 4valves are just as easy to check/adjust but harder to get to. If you buy a Duck do youself a favor and read up and check them yourself, it is easier than most people think. And as for the rumor that they need adjusted all the time, mine has never had a shim replaced and after22k very hard miles is still within tolerance. And there is a certain satisfaction to doing it yourself and knowing what is behind all the Desmo voodoo. I am not saying any of this to sway you away from your Busa cause as I said I love mine. But if you are going to listen to people that are trying to sway you they should have some knowledge of the subject. So in the end it is what you like. My Ducatis won't break the tire loose at 70mph but then again if the Busa motor grenaded tommorrow I wouldn't keep it just to drink beer and stare at the welds and engine cases.

funny people trash a duc that never had one.... always second hand info. the maintenance on the duc may be a little more cost wise, but if you can do it yourself , like the valve shim job on a busa, it's no different. if you've wanted a duc, get the duc. love my duc even with all the drawbacks, it is a racebike with lights and mirrors. this bike has no business as a streetbike, but it's just to fun not to ride on the street or back roads!

Last edited:
If you decide you are interested in a Duck give an S2r Monster a good look. They have the 2valve motor/sexy swingarm and fuel injection. The valve check/adjust periods are out to somewhere around 12k if I remember correctly without looking it up.(toomany models and years to remember) and they have the dry clutch. They make around 90hp at the wheel with some Termis and a chip and mine weighed in at 417lbs full of gas on a digital scale(my Busa weighed 574 on the same scale). Also with the single sided swingarm there is no chain alignment issues which saves on one of the highest overlooked maintenance issue chains and sprockets which is almost a 300$ bill even if you do it yourself.So although not a Busa they make good usable power and weigh nothing. You may even find a left over now that the "new" Monster 1100S is out.If not the one advantage to buying an Italian bike used campared to a japanese one is that you have to look through a lot of GSXR1000 s to find a clean babied one but you would have to look through alot of 1198s to find one that had been ridin by some kid and abused. After working in dealerships it seem the Ducati owner is generally older and rides less and takes care of things better which is good news if you are looking for a used one.

Some have said already, but if you love bikes and want the DUC, buy it, or better yet, keep the Busa and buy the DUC.

Atleast give us guys first crack at your busa. 06'LE's are getting hard to come by in good shape. I myself want to get a new Ducati Diavel.

Last edited:
Why dont you just ask Daddy to buy you the Ducati and keep the Busa ? :poke:

I would assume you're directing that at me. Maybe your self made, private business owning father would be proud of you when you graduate with your Juris Doctorate as well. How he chooses to spend his money is no concern of yours, and I feel it would be rude to refuse my father in one of his proudest moments.

I'm a third generation legacy from the University of Kansas. The first to break away from the medical field and his first and only son and child.

I'll let him know of your concern. Thanks.

Stephen.

Been debating on trying to trade my 06 LE for a Ducati. Had an 05 Monster a while back and I ride with a guy who has an 1198. I dont use half the power my bike has and 80% of the riding I do it to work and back, a couple days a year I get out on some back roads. I absolutely love the Ducati sound with a Termi exhaust. Not looking for a new one, or another Monster, a 749 or 849 would be fine. Thoughts??

dont trade busa more comfy than the ducs on the street and reg city driving

:rulez:

I know where your comming from. Ive wanted a duck for a long time. My busa is paid for so that will never go anywhere. In my eyes theres not a bike out there thats better. I bought a m109r in the spring and I am not really happy with it. I listened to what other people said and I bought it. Well when spring comes it is going and will be replaced by a 1198 tri color. Its only going to be used for short rides in the back roads. Its not made for comfort but it is a beautifull bike. Trade one for the busa? Not a chance but I cant wait for spring. As far as repairs go, if you cant afford to fix it then dont buy it. Paying for a broke down bike you cant ride cause you cant afford would suck.

I owned a 999 from 05 to 09 It was a great Bike .. but it was beside the busa and everytime I went out to the garage I took the Busa .. Irt was lighter and handled better but pounded on me.. Taxes and insurance were high for a bike I just didnt ride.
I keep looking at Duc Streetfighters but again the cost of ownership backs me off.

Jshtriumph - Excellent info. :thumbsup: Thats exactly the kind of stuff I knew I could get from folks on this board. Thank you very much. Sure, I'd like to have both, oh and a 09+ Street Glide while I'm at to cover all my bases. The wife wont let me have 2 bikes right now but I can do what I want with one, she doesnt get on the Busa anyway. Guess I have some thinking to do.

Been debating on trying to trade my 06 LE for a Ducati. Had an 05 Monster a while back and I ride with a guy who has an 1198. I dont use half the power my bike has and 80% of the riding I do it to work and back, a couple days a year I get out on some back roads. I absolutely love the Ducati sound with a Termi exhaust. Not looking for a new one, or another Monster, a 749 or 849 would be fine. Thoughts??

Do it.........You will love the Duc experience. I am looking for one right now.
But I will keep the Busa, everyone needs a pick-up truck.............

I still regret selling my 999.

Duc superbikes are torture devices for the ass and lower back and a PIA to ride in stop/go traffic, but what a looker and performer....plus, the noise it makes is so sweet. If you don't like to draw alot of wanted/unwanted attention.....then definitely do not get one. Dry clutch clap coming out the side and the the roar out of the rear will turn heads....especially the ones who have red/yellow lights mounted on their cars.

Busa is tough to beat in terms of comfort and performance....but it will never have the character and soul of a Duc superbike.

I shall own a one again someday.

I still regret selling my 999.

Duc superbikes are torture devices for the ass and lower back and a PIA to ride in stop/go traffic, but what a looker and performer....plus, the noise it makes is so sweet. If you don't like to draw alot of wanted/unwanted attention.....then definitely do not get one. Dry clutch clap coming out the side and the the roar out of the rear will turn heads....especially the ones who have red/yellow lights mounted on their cars.

Busa is tough to beat in terms of comfort and performance....but it will never have the character and soul of a Duc superbike.

I shall own a one again someday.
I agree, The Streetfighter calls to me everytime. The bit of my experience was that the Duc was the most expensive when Tax and insurance time rolled about.

I had the opportunity to keep my friend's 1198 for a long time. I loved that bike because of its character, and sex appeal. Having one as a second bike would be perfect, but it sucks if its your only bike. Your buns will cook in traffic and you will be visiting the gas station every 70 miles (1198) or less. Another thing I like about Ducatis is that they age gracefully. A two year old Jap bike is just that, the hype is gone after the first year. Insurance wise, its actually cheaper to insure in some states (NJ), its actually categorized as a standard motorcycle not sportbike. It all makes sense coz not too many teen agers own them, they seldom get stolen, and they are less favorable stunt bikes.

Duc superbikes are torture devices for the ass and lower back and a PIA to ride in stop/go traffic, but what a looker and performer....plus, the noise it makes is so sweet. If you don't like to draw alot of wanted/unwanted attention.....then definitely do not get one. Dry clutch clap coming out the side and the the roar out of the rear will turn heads....

I hate the racket of the dry clutch and the overly-loud exhaust. I realise it's a matter of taste, but I consider Ducati to be the Harley of the sport bike world.

I went from a Monster M750 to the Busa when my Ducati dealer wouldn't give me a good trade-in price on a 749. The Busa fits my riding style, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Duc if I was looking for a smaller, more nimble superbike.

I'd go with the 1198. A good friend has a 999 with full Termi exhaust, and Rizoma timing belt and clutch covers. Looks and sounds like nothing else.

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Last edited:
The last Ducati i rode, I managed to kill it on a 30 minute test ride.

There are 2 seperate topics here.

The quality, cost, performance, reliablity, resale, etc either bike,
and the brand image, look at yourself in shop windows part.

Most Ducati owners I know (like Harley Owners) wouldnt be walking around
in the T-shirts, with matching belts, patches, cap's etc if the exact same bike
was made by Hiundai, Kia, Hyosung etc.

I buy my bikes because of what they do and how well they do it for the $$$'s.

As a comuter Ducati's are down the list, As a sportsbike they can be
matched by their half price Jap competition.

There is on thing that over rules all this.
Its the "Want One" factor.
If its in your heart, its the best bike for you.

Antony.

I would assume you're directing that at me. Maybe your self made, private business owning father would be proud of you when you graduate with your Juris Doctorate as well. How he chooses to spend his money is no concern of yours, and I feel it would be rude to refuse my father in one of his proudest moments.

I'm a third generation legacy from the University of Kansas. The first to break away from the medical field and his first and only son and child.

I'll let him know of your concern. Thanks.

Stephen.

At the risk of cutting off the money tree, maybe you shouldnt. Most of us have to work to pay for our toys. Being a career student doesnt count as work to me, and ambulance chasing- well, anyone got any good lawyer jokes???

Back