2011 Ducati 1198

05 Busa LE

Donating Member
Registered
For our track day enthusiasts, the new, standard 1198 adds Ducati Traction Control and Ducati Quick Shift as standard equipment, and the price stays about the same--around $15 thousand.

The replacement for the S--the SP--adds, among other things, a slipper clutch and aluminum tank to the standard model. The SP, since it replaces the S model, will probably come in around $22 thousand.

No real cosmetic changes for 2011. Wonder if 2012 will bring a restyling? I actually liked the look of the 999.

Ducati? Not a bad bike if you can keep them running. Everyone I know who rides ducati seems to work on them more than they ride them.

We had a ducati race team here and they had an awful time trying to race them. Cam problems were a nightmare.

Maybe the answer would be to own two in order to keep one running.

We had a duc at the track last weekend for a two day event. The first day the welded bung for the 02 sensor simply fell out. Ended his track fun for the weekend.

Yep, folks that bought an S are now a little upset as the SP will have more than the S did and carries an MSRP of $20K... Cant blame them...

170hp on a scoot with a dry weight of 360lbs... :beerchug: You betcha I want one!

Aluminum tank was a much needed upgrade, plastic ones are reportedly warping! But $1,500 for the upgrade? Yikes... I'll keep my plastic one...

It is clear that Duc is cleaning out the frames and parts from the 1098 / 1198 product run via lower prices (with no factory WSBK teams in 2011 I guess they saved some money) and very nice upgrades built in....I figure they will roll out the new frameless, short stroke twin in 2012...

Dead Sexy!
ImageShack Links Do Not Work
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Ducati? Not a bad bike if you can keep them running. Everyone I know who rides ducati seems to work on them more than they ride them.

As a Ducati owner (and someone you know) I can tell you that I have never had to work on mine, and ride it all the time!

Last edited:
As a Ducati owner (and someone you know) I can tell you that I have never had to work on mine, and ride it all the time!

+ 1,000 :thumbsup:

The people who own them are kinda like Porsche, Corvette or Ferrari Owners. There is always something to tinker with, not something broken or bad. If you want a bike just to ride and put up with no fuss or muss, buy a Bike made in Japan. BUT, if you want a Bike with a SOUL that also talks to Ya, BUY an Itallian (Ducati, MvAgusta, Aprillia, NCR or a Moto Guzzi) :thumbsup:

PS. I put 100,000 miles on an ST4s and NEVER did anything other than normal maintance :beerchug:

Randy, your bike (and that new DUC) is one sexy beast, but I seem to recall a few times last year that your bike was down for parts? BTW, it if rains in 2 weeks I WILL pee on your tires again :rofl::poke:

Randy, your bike (and that new DUC) is one sexy beast, but I seem to recall a few times last year that your bike was down for parts? BTW, it if rains in 2 weeks I WILL pee on your tires again :rofl::poke:

If you remember Keith, HE didn't have to work on it.... the dealer ship did.:laugh:
Same problem fixed twice, second time was the charm but no issues since then.

Ducati needs to build a Busa type bike for the US market. It would sell and I would probably buy one.

I owned a Monster for 3-1/2 years with no problems, and my friend's tricked-out 999 runs like a charm. It takes more maintenance, but that's the price of owning a bike with desmodromic valves.

As for all the hype surrounding BMW and their big horsepower, I wonder if Kawasaki's 10 will get the same press? And despite all the press, BMW sure didn't do much in World Superbike. Funny that Aprilia--a relatively new entry to WSBK--with blazing speed and horsepower, took the title with Biaggi on board, but got very little press.

Last edited:
I owned a Monster for 3-1/2 years with no problems, and my friend's tricked-out 999 runs like a charm. It takes more maintenance, but that's the price of owning a bike with desmodromic valves.

As for all the hype surrounding BMW and their big horsepower, I wonder if Kawasaki's 10 will get the same press? And despite all the press, BMW sure didn't do much in World Superbike. Funny that Aprilia--a relatively new entry to WSBK--with blazing speed and horsepower, took the title with Biaggi on board, but got very little press.

Very good point, depends on what the powers that be consider to be "News" i guess.

I had a shifter issue, fixed under duress at a local dealer very near the track during a track day, the dealership stopped everything they were doing and I missed two sessions (I literally loaded the bike, drove there in leather, wearing pucks, no notice, tires still sticky hot and they shut down the whole maintenance dept to get me up and running... magnificent customer service!)
They patched it up and got me back to the track. Thereafter I actually gave a dealer near my home the time to fix it right and boddabing, no issue since. Both repairs free of charge and they KNEW I was running it at the track and never said a word or blamed it on abuse!

I'll admit, the initial build quality is probably a bit below the Japanese products but I would buy another Ducati in a heart beat. They will never take the place of my Busa, but sure is fun to have a Ducati in the family! Their bikes have a genuine nasty attitude and tons of character!

I loved the WSBK race (day 1) at Imola. The entire podium occupied by Ducati! If Suzy cant do it, I expect Ducati to be on the top step. Guys, they make 1 bike for every 400 the major brands pump out, a niche brand with a fraction of the resources of their competitors, yet they still compete and normally win. I think they do a nice job and if a mad sorcerer ever waved a wand and started changing bikes into chicks, those bikes would be swimsuit models!:drool:

Last edited:
Still haven't seen a bike that doesn't break down.:laugh:

there are plenty of "I have never had to touch it" to "This bike is a nightmare" stories from any bike owners :laugh:

Back