Sell or Trailer

sroos

Registered
Hit one of those dilemas again. I'm considering trading my 09 Busa for a 10 Ducati Multistrada or buying a trailer to pull behind the Busa. The Ducati has bags and a upright seating position and enough horsepower to haul my big butt around (I'm sure at a slower pace than the Busa). On the flip side I could get a nice light weight single wheel trailer to pull behind the Busa that would cost far less than the trade difference. The trailer would just allow me to have the storage space that the Busa lacks and then when I get to my riding destination I can drop the trailer and go have fun. Then the only trade off is the cramped riding position of the Busa compared to the Ducati. I already have dropped the pegs, installed Heli Bars, and installed a Tobin seat. I tried getting some feed back from my wife; however her responses did not help. So some forum feedback would be appreciated.:whistle:

More upright bars like these, and a Corbin seat. You can't slide all the way back in the Tobin/New Image seat, that cramps you up some.

GSX1300R_08_CK.jpg

how much stuff are you thinking of hauling with you? there's all sorts of choices for luggage options for the busa. If comfort is your main problem then your better off getting the duc.

I've seen the luggage that folks are running on the Busa and nothing has appealed to me. And when I get to where I'm going I don't want some tall rack hanging off of the bike. Plus I don't want something that will sit there and buff the paint. Trailier appeals to me because you don't have to pack like your back packing. The seating position on the Ducati is like sitting on my dirt bike (RMZ-500), very comfortable.

Have you looked into side bags as an option? Pashnit has got a pretty nice set-up on his and look like they'll carry quite a bit.

i would keep the busa and get a trailer. You get the best of both worlds that way

saddlebags, tail & tank bag....that is a lot of space to stash stuff in (your concern about scuffing the paint can be so vey easily fixed). Plus much cheaper than getting a trailer...or getting a new bike. Just my 2 cents. In the end, get whatever floats your boat, man.

Hard Side Bags are interesting, Converti Bars look a little to crude for my likings, and I would only use a tank bag since I can keep an eye on it. The Duc is starting to look like a viable option.

Try taking a look at hard case options at twistedthrottle.com. They've got all kinds of sport touring accessories. I can't see buying a new bike for more storage when the Busa has plenty of space to mount top and side cases.

I wouldn't feel safe with a trailer. I'm scared I'd flip it somehow and it would break free of the mount and take me with it.

Givi side cases got me thinking. It appears you can take everything off in less than a minute and have a stock appearing bike:thumbsup:

Last edited:
There are a lot of folks touring the country with SW-Motech hard back rack mount system sold at Twisted Throttle. You can use many different styles of hard bags with these, to include 2 side bags and a top mount bag. You can get them up to 46 liters for sides and 55 liters for top bag. That is a lot of space and if you are hauling more than that, you should look into another means of travel.

As for comfort, look into Genmar .75 riser and Heli-bars combo. That will drastically reduce the lean angle required with the stock set up. Also, the Corbin seat takes about 1000 miles to loosen up, but I love the seat now. I use it on my 120 mile round trip commute and could not be happier.

If you really want to get picky, you can even get a wider style hand grip so the diameter of your bars is increased and you do not have to grip as tight.

My opinion on the Busa is that as long as I am riding, I will own one. I may have other bikes at the same time, but I will not be moving from the Busa to another. It has so many possibilities and is damn fast while you throw any task at it.

Mr Felt, that made me laugh like hell...couldn't have teased him any better if I had thought about it for hours...well done, man

SROOS, congratulations on your new bike. What did you do with the Busa? Trade it or part of the stable? Let us know how it goes with the new Ducati. I like Ducs but man the cost of tune ups and repairs is a big put off for me...Let us know down the line what you think of the bike

I regretfully traded the Busa. I have had a Gen 1 and a Gen 2 Busa, maybe when the Gen 3 comes out Suzuki will have a touring model. I liked the power and looks of the Busa. But one ride with the upright seating position on the Ducati and it was game over. I don't really care for the looks of the Ducati, but the riding position, power, and handling are favorable.

Back