Idle and stalling?

mudnuri

Registered
Johns been driving the bike more lately as our Duramax has bad injectors and the parts are on nationwide back order (dont even go there....this is a nightmare)..

Anyway- yesterday 3 times, the bike stalled when stopped...1 time in gear with the clutch in. 2 times in neutral ....

What's the normal "idle rpm" for the busa? he's heading to the dealers early next week for the pinging/popping when he takes off which I've read here is possibly from the chain tension..while there he'll ask, but I'm lookin for your opinion...

oh- if I posted this in the wrong place forgive me, I get easily confused, and since its almost 10pm and I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee tonight, forgive me!

Brandy

It should be set at 1250rpm-1150rpm when its at operating temp. You can set it a little higher though if you feel the need.

same as the fellas are sayin'... I run at about 1300rpm at idle. Over time it will need to be adjusted because of the motor's vibration. No big deal.

The idle on a Busa never takes, this is just normal. I have to adjust mine at least every 1000 miles or so and I set mine high (like around 1500). It runs great this way. Learn to adjust it yourself or you will be constantly going back to the dealer for a 2 minute fix.

What they said.

My bike stalled, due to low idle, in a parking lot while going about 1-2 MPH. Would have been alright except, when it happended the front wheel was truned slightly and my wife was on the back. The bike just started going over, and didn't stop till it reached pavement. Luckily no damage. Chris

I just made an adjustment to mine a few hours ago.

Last week at 3200 miles I had to up the idle slightly for the first time. It was around 900 RPM and did die twice on me during a warm start. I bumped it up a hair and at the time it appeared to be 1200 rpm on a warm engine. After a few miles out it was more like 1300.
There was such a noticable lack of engine braking when letting off the throttle...the bike was now more of a PITA than a joy.

It's now one needle's width past the 1K which I feel is perfect. Probably ~1100 rpm...no way I'd be riding around at 1400 or higher. With the Busa Power, let off the clutch and it'll be like cruise control
smile.gif

Adjusting it once every 3K miles during an oil change is no big deal since the gas tank is in the air, but it's still a crock. My 23 year old CX500T never has to have the idle adjusted and there's no lame idle increase lever (fake choke) to push during cold start up. The idle is controlled by the computer...it's just push the start button and go.
So much for 2 decades worth of technology.

As far as pinging and popping goes...if you feel it's the chain and don't know how to diagnose, adjust or replace it yourself then I'd have it trailered to the dealer.
If that chain lets go while you're out riding, you and the bike can be in for a world of hurt!

Johns been driving the bike more lately as our Duramax has bad injectors and the parts are on nationwide back order (dont even go there....this is a nightmare)..

Anyway- yesterday 3 times, the bike stalled when stopped...1 time in gear with the clutch in.  2 times in neutral ....

What's the normal "idle rpm" for the busa?  he's heading to the dealers early next week for the pinging/popping when he takes off which I've read here is possibly from the chain tension..while there he'll ask,  but I'm lookin for your opinion...

oh- if I posted this in the wrong place forgive me, I get easily confused, and since its almost 10pm and I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee tonight, forgive me!

Brandy
what year is the bike?  i have a 99 and it used to stall during hard braking.  i turned the rpm up to as high as 1400 but it was still stalling so i call the dealer and they told me that the fuel pump recall hasn't been done on it.  after the recall fix, the busa hasn't stall since. they also set my rpm back to about 1100.

<!--EDIT|willgetbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1096005317 -->

Back