low idle and stalling

Dan

Married to HRH Grammy
Donating Member
Registered
Need some assistance please.  For the last 3 or so months my bike's idle has been between 800 and 1K RPMS and if I'm running at a spirited pace and come off the throttle quickly, she stalls when I pull in the clutch.  She is also a little choppy below 5k RPMS.

Last fall I replaced the stock cans with RS3 oval bolt-ons and did the marble mad, other than that nothing has changed.  I removed the marble mod last weekend and it's not made any difference.  

Any suggestions of what to try to resolve this?

I'll try that in the morning. Would that explain the choppy throttle too?

turn the idle up to about 1150-1200 after it`s warmed up.
thumb_up.gif

Had it happen on both gen 1 bikes.
easy fix. You can use a long flat blade screwdriver to get to the idle adjustment. No need to lift the tank or remove any panels. (right side between the bottom of tank and frame)
Turn clockwise to increase.
If you have a choppy throttle, try adjusting the slack out of the cable. Be careful to check it full lock left and right, make sure there is no change in idle speed at full lock.
Could be a bad situation if idle goes up during a slow speed turn.

I had the same problem. I used to keep my choke 1/4 choked all the time.
I just tweaked the throttle screw a bit and it took care of it. My bike is a little choppy
slow rolling in 1st or 2nd too. I'm thinking power commander soon.

Start with the idle adjustment as mentioned above.  
thumb_up.gif

I have the RS-3'a also, never did a marble mod but did eventually install a PC-IIIusb. Did it "just because". Not necessary but it seemed to smooth out low RPM operation some. If you don't have a PC and the problem started, don't try to fix it with installing a PC.

I'm going to put the marble mod back then adjust the idle this weekend and see what happens.

If the throttle bodies need to be synced, should I look for mercury sticks or carbtune?

No PC-III on the bike.

Thanks guys!
bowdown.gif

I had this happen all the time. I would adjust my idle to 1100 and it would (after about a week) slip back to 800 or 900 RPM. This in spite of the adjustments mentioned above. So, I completely removed the idle set screw and placed a tiny dab of locktite blue (non-permanent) on the screw and reset the idle with the bike warmed up. Now it stays right where it needs to be and really smoothes out operation from just off idle. Also, the bike doesn't die any more when I'm riding at a good clip and then quickly pull in the clutch. Easy cheap fix.
winkold.gif

Back