I need a cheap tire changer machine

RedlineStands

Donating Member
Registered
I noticed someone at the spring bash had a tire changer that plugged right into the receiver hitch of their truck and it didn't look like it cost a fortune. This morning I had 3 different shops quote me $40, $42, and $35 to change my tire if I brought them my tire and rim already off the bike. I thought, "You've got to be kidding me." If the job takes 5 minutes then at $35 that's $420/hour. Brain surgeons don't make that much per hour! So, I'm now very interested in finding a fixture that would allow me to do this job myself. Anybody know of one?

Ian

my harbor freight manual one cost under $80 otd (during one of thier sales) it's 2 parts... the base (for car tires) and the m/c attachment. plenty of posts on the .org about 'em. good luck
beerchug.gif

I noticed someone at the spring bash had a tire changer that plugged right into the receiver hitch of their truck and it didn't look like it cost a fortune. This morning I had 3 different shops quote me $40, $42, and $35 to change my tire if I brought them my tire and rim already off the bike. I thought, "You've got to be kidding me." If the job takes 5 minutes then at $35 that's $420/hour. Brain surgeons don't make that much per hour! So, I'm now very interested in finding a fixture that would allow me to do this job myself. Anybody know of one?

Ian
The job doesn't take 5 minutes.

I charge $20 (off the bike) at my shop. Think about the order of operations. Remove old tire from rim, mount new tire on rim, balance. Takes 15 minutes or so. You go buy a Coats RC100 for $4000 and then tell me how much you want to charge to recoup your investment plus your shop overhead and your employees payroll.

I may invest in one of the harbor freight ones before too long. I spent $88 for 2 tires to be mounted about a month ago and $40 for one before that.

So at that price i could have had a tire changer of my own.

Hey if anyone needs lifts , tire changers , ETC .I can us a break at Panther lifts.. Their equipment is pretty good esp. for the price.. I got a real nice bike lift at a killer price. heres a # 866 665 4387. Talk to Mary and tell her RON from GNUUSA sent you. Remember you get what you pay for, IMO..

Can someone tell me the proper way to balance the rear tire.? Is it balanced with the rear gear , drive etc all in place? I ordered a chrome rim ( Rim alone) and was wanting to mount the tire and have a spare ready to go. But all I have at this time is one rear gear , cush drive etc..

I noticed someone at the spring bash had a tire changer that plugged right into the receiver hitch of their truck and it didn't look like it cost a fortune.  This morning I had 3 different shops quote me $40, $42, and $35 to change my tire if I brought them my tire and rim already off the bike.  I thought, "You've got to be kidding me."  If the job takes 5 minutes then at $35 that's $420/hour.  Brain surgeons don't make that much per hour!  So, I'm now very interested in finding a fixture that would allow me to do this job myself.  Anybody know of one?

Ian

I charge $20 (off the bike) at my shop. Think about the order of operations. Remove old tire from rim, mount new tire on rim, balance. Takes 15 minutes or so. You go buy a Coats RC100 for $4000 and then tell me how much you want to charge to recoup your investment plus your shop overhead and your employees payroll.
I totally agree but not many will look at it that way? Shop rate at our shop is $80 per hour. That would be 20 bucks per tire not counting the service managers time for writing up the service order and collecting payment. Time is money no matter where you go!

I noticed someone at the spring bash had a tire changer that plugged right into the receiver hitch of their truck and it didn't look like it cost a fortune.  This morning I had 3 different shops quote me $40, $42, and $35 to change my tire if I brought them my tire and rim already off the bike.  I thought, "You've got to be kidding me."  If the job takes 5 minutes then at $35 that's $420/hour.  Brain surgeons don't make that much per hour!  So, I'm now very interested in finding a fixture that would allow me to do this job myself.  Anybody know of one?

Ian

$20 off the bike is a fair price and I can respect that price. I know for a fact that the owner of the dealership here that quoted me $40 per tire has many extra toy cars and they're all expensive as hell. Dodge vipers, prowlers, and so on. It's quite clear that a good portion of that $40/tire fee helps support his unusually ritzy life style.

Ian

Ian

I totally agree but not many will look at it that way? Shop rate at our shop is $80 per hour. That would be 20 bucks per tire not counting the service managers time for writing up the service order and collecting payment. Time is money no matter where you go!
My rate here is $75. People don't care, they just want the lowest price. That's why they are buying all these tires from internet retailers at $5 over cost. They won't care until one day they try to go to their local dealer/retailer for something they need immediately and the doors are boarded up.

Ian

My rate here is $75. People don't care, they just want the lowest price. That's why they are buying all these tires from internet retailers at $5 over cost. They won't care until one day they try to go to their local dealer/retailer for something they need immediately and the doors are boarded up.
Our local dealers here are clearly making a fortune and I don't think they'll be boarding up anytime soon. On the other hand, if they are over charging their customers by huge margins and earning the name "stealerships" then they shouldn't be surprised when customers get fed up with it and find another business that appreciates the business. You know I founded RedlineStands.com based on Pit Bull's over pricing and as a result I've sold nearly 6,000 sport bike stands since then. My stands are very fairly priced and I've only got one single vehicle as a result. Thanks to this $40/tire business I'm going to order a harbor freight changer and proceed to quit funding someone else's fortune.

Ian

ok well i read this one and hearin all these tire changers and so far the no mar looks really good, any1 that have 1 think its worth it

i know in the automotive world they get 0.2 (2 tenths ) per tire mount and balance and that includes racking the car up and r&r the tire and any hubcaps,wheel locks ,etc.. thats $16 and 12 minutes so were do they get these crazy prices for bike tires off the bike??? if you bought there overpriced tire they would mount it for free probably, why is the first thing they ask is where did you get the tire?? what the hell doe`s that matter or why doe`s it have anything to do with how long it takes to mount?? my neighboor was charged $67 for 1 rear tire mount and balance from clinton cycle in camp springs,md !!! fn crooks.
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif
maybe if some off these shops would stop robbing people and do fair work/parts for a fair price they wouldn`t have the internet to blame for lack of parts sales/business?? then you could make a fair profit on alot of bikes instead of trying to make it all on a few bikes?? IMHO

guns.gif

guns.gif

Back