NoMar Tire Changer worth it?

RedBusarider

Registered
I searched and didn't find the answers I was looking for.

I'm considering getting a NoMar Tire changer.
I have 3 motorcycles, 2 cars, (SUV and a Van) and a trailer (duel axle). 18 tires.

My questions are:

Is it really easy to use or is there a big learning curve?

What do you do with the old tires - how do you get rid of them?

Do you balance all the tires you change?

Would you buy it again knowing what you know now?

I would consider getting the trailer hitch version as I could take it places as needed. Anyone else do this?
One of the reasons for considering this, is the standard wheels on my Busa are in perfect condition.
Someday I might upgrade to better wheels and then surely wouldn't want those nicked or chipped.
I think you take a gamble letting someone at shop change the tires and then nick up the wheels - sloppy workmanship.

Any thing else I should know?
Thanks in advance for any help. I don't want to make a $900 mistake.

I don't do full tire service at my home. Most of those tires you mentioned will need attention every couple of years if ever. In '06 '07 I bought the $100 tire changer from one of those cheap stores, tractor service, farm and hand, I don't remember. The No Mar was about four to five times the cost and from what I've read worth every penny. Now, I've made my money back ten times just on one bike since.

Funny thing is I'm running the Michelin PR3's now and it's looking like a tire change every 18 months for me, where I use to do three sets a year.

The No Mar stuff is good. I've never balanced my bike tires and have never had an issue, but the best route would be to but the simple balance tool and weights and do it.

I have one, and it is on a trailer hitch mount most of the time.
Mine was bought because me and a buddy have aftermarket wheels, and dont trust anyone to mount the rubber.
It works great but if it is only for personal use, a little pricey.
Here is a alternative version of it, at a resonable price and No Mar sells it, but really does not advertise it,
Cycle Hill Motorcycle Tire Changer BLUE

Will the link part# work with bike wheels with the rotors on / larger car rims...do the jaws flip around for a inside / outside grab position? A used air powered machine can run a few hundred and the jaws are another 350...so if that works well...the price is great. ..you can make a balancer out of a few pieces of metal, threaded rod and cones to capture the bearings / wheel.

I have the Classic Motorcycle Tire Changer Ultimate Package.
It's fairly easy to use. Watch the videos a couple of times before you try it.
I hang on to the old tires until I get enough to take to the garbage dump to be recycled.
I balance the motorcycle tires. I have no way to balance car tires.
I would definately buy it again. I change my bike tires as well as friends tires and friend of friends tires. I charge them of course.
I use the trailer hitch just because I didn't want to mount the changer in the garage permanently. I don't take it anywhere.
I got tired of paying shops to scratch my rims. No more scratches.
Get the 3 Xtra hand clamps. They come in very handy. They are included with some of the packages. I also bought the posi-clamps for the heavier tires but I haven't tried them out yet.

Talk to Skydivr, he has the Mo Mar changer and could give you some advise.

I spent a little more money and bought a cheap power machine.

I got one of them Nomar Tire changers, and I love it. It took me a little to learn, but once you got the hang of it, it's a piece a cake. Er.... tire.
I used to go to the nearest Bike shop with a pile of Rims and Tires for my Trailers, and even though they didn't charge me a lot, with the running around and so on, I'll never go without it

I was hoping for more posts on this subject.
With so few posts I'm wondering if I should have titled the post -

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE HAD YOUR WHEELS DAMAGED FROM TIRE CHANGES?

It seems as if most dealers have the policy that you can't be in the shop area -
quoting some BS about insurance won't allow it or something like that.

I have thought about photographing the wheels, showing them in perfect condition,
then if there were any marks or chips on them afterwards I would want new wheels.
But you know that would be a fight - something I would rather avoid.......

So am I worrying about nothing or are my concerns valid?

Just let the shop know that you are SUPER anal about scratches, and your rims are mint. They'll take the time to do them right. At least that's my experience.

I was hoping for more posts on this subject.
With so few posts I'm wondering if I should have titled the post -

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE HAD YOUR WHEELS DAMAGED FROM TIRE CHANGES?

It seems as if most dealers have the policy that you can't be in the shop area -
quoting some BS about insurance won't allow it or something like that.

That's not BS, it's factual. Most if not all dealers will not carry insurance that covers customers in the shop area.

I have thought about photographing the wheels, showing them in perfect condition,
then if there were any marks or chips on them afterwards I would want new wheels.
But you know that would be a fight - something I would rather avoid.......

If you ask a dealer to mount your tires and threaten him with one nick or scratch and I expect a new wheel. How much risk do you expect the dealer to take for $35? You may very well end up mounting your own with tire tools and two fat guys to hold the wheel while you peal the tire off with tire irons. If you buy your tires at a dealership so they make a little pocket change on the tires they will always mount them as well. Some dealerships won't mount tires unless they sell them.

So am I worrying about nothing or are my concerns valid?
If you expect low cost tire changing perfection you may be wise to do it yourself.

I mount lots of tires over the season and wheels begin to show ware & tare over time. It's the nature of the beast.

Thanks for the reply Tufbusa.

I said BS because there has to be a waiver you could sign if they were that worried about it.
I worked in a factory with OSHA rules that were a lot tougher then what's in any dealers shop.
I have my own safety glasses and know to wear a long sleeve shirt and long pants (and steel toe shoes) in a shop area.
So while I agree that most people shouldn't be allowed in the shop area there are others like me that are
over qualified to be there and might very well be safer then the employees working there.

The reason I'm researching this so much is there are so many variables.
Yes, if the you buy tires from the dealer they will mount them cheaper then if you bring in tires - if at all.
They might charge more for the tires then what someone can buy them for online.

So buying a No-Mar I might be able to buy the tires cheaper then the dealer and of course then there
would be no charge to mount the tires, and hopefully no damage to the wheels as I'm picky would do everything
to avoid any damage. And since I would remove the wheels from the bike anyways that would save $$$ vs having
the dealer do it. Not to mention the drive to the dealer.

But the flip side is the No-Mar is not cheap, and I probably won't be changing tires very often
meaning it would take a long time to offset the cost of the No-Mar if ever, meaning it would be more
for the satisfaction of doing it and doing a good job (no damage).

For anyone that might have a No-Mar do you only change your bike tires on it or
do you also do car/truck tires?

I always wondered if you buy car tires online and take them to a tire dealer and have them
mount and balance them - does that offset the cost savings of buying them online vs at the tire dealer?
Of course if you change them yourself then there is always the question of throwing the old ones away, right?

Please keep the replies coming as I want to make an informed decision. Thanks. :whistle:

I've got the ultimate and a floor mount (mounted it to a 4x4 sheet of wood so I can move it around and still have leverage).

I'm glad I've got it. Could have spent another grand or so and gotten an electric one like Tuf has, but this one does the job for me. If you use it right (and I STILL refer to the video) you won't scratch anything. It's all in the technique. But I can change tires all by myself without help.

Thanks Skydivr.

I'm looking at the Jr version.

Do you change car/truck tires?
How do you dispose of the old tires?
Do you balance? weights or dyna beads?

There are alternatives here you seem to be missing. Get a night time job so you can afford quality service or buy quality equipment. Cheap and quality should not be used in the same sentence.

Another alternative is send your resume with your qualifications (Attach your OSHA documents) to every dealer within a hundred miles and express your desire to keep an eye on the poor kid changing your tires to make sure he doesn't leave a mark on your OEM wheel . Be sure to be up front with your expectations of a new wheel replacement in case (at your discretion) a nick or scratch occurs. Then patiently wait for a response. :dunno:

Oh, be sure to make it clear you do not expect to pay more than the blokes like me who drop their wheels off and pick them up the next day.

I have the junior pro ultimate cruiser package. I bought it after paying $60 per rim for mount and balance and the wheels came back with some pretty major gouges in them. I was told, after complaining, that sometimes the clamps slip! BS!!! The pilot powers I was running at the time are so soft that I can almost push them on by hand when properly lubed.

I have had my nomar for a little over a year now and have yet to scratch any of the wheels changed on it. The only tires I have any difficulty with are dunlop elite 3's and any low profile car tire with rim protector sidewalls. Even those have gotten easier with practice.

The wheel balancer included with my kit works great for motorcycle tires and I found a old Bada M-60 that I use for car tires.

I take my old tires to a local wrecking yard and pay them $3 each for them to take them off my hands.

Changing tires myself is well worth the cost of the machine just from the convenience and money saving stand points, let alone the fact that my rims don't get beat up anymore.

DSC00801-1.jpg

Thanks Skydivr.

I'm looking at the Jr version.

Do you change car/truck tires?
How do you dispose of the old tires?
Do you balance? weights or dyna beads?

No, I don't change car/truck tires, but I could if I wanted to. Might order from tire rack next time and try it.

I can throw them in my dumpster at work, but there is always somebody that wants your takeoffs. I keep my trackbike takeoffs and put them on my streetbike to get the most out of them (as track tires normally wear just the opposite of street tires).

Weights only. There is a large Dynabeads discussion (pro and con), but since I bought mine to change tires for my trackbike (which means a set every month or two during the season) dynabeads would just get in the way. The balancer makes it easy and you can learn a lot about your bike by wrenching on it. I get lots of satisfaction out of working on my own bike(s), and have learned a lot in the last 5 years with the help of some great people on the .org.

IF I were only changing tires on my streetbike, i.e. once or twice a year, I'm not sure it's worth it, IF you can find someone who won't scratch your stuff (which isn't that easy). I think I figured the payout for purchasing at $40 a tire was 10/12 set changes. However, it IS convenient to change tires when YOU want. I think it only makes FINANCIAL sense of you change tires more often than 5 sets a year IMHO.

but there is always somebody that wants your takeoffs.

can you explain?

I only have 1 sport bike so, if I wore tires out at the track I still couldn't use them on my other bikes.
Unless someone wanted boat protectors at a dock I can't think of to many other reasons for me to keep
old worn out tires.

I put this up by the road a couple times a year and they go away in a couple of hours. Street tire (Q2s, Q3s) that are profiled on the sides from track riding will typically have a good bit of center tire left. Lots of people run them.

20130417_180403_zps94373eb5.jpg

Back