NoMar Tire Changer worth it?

Also there's a thread that goes step by step in great detail here somewhere that a member did and youtube videos out the butt to help or help you make up your mind.

I use the harbor freight stand with the NoMar mount demount bar and change LOTS o TIRES. I duct tape the metal bits on the stand that contact the rim and have changed maybe 100+ sets of tires. The little harbor freight stand is my weak point, but gets the job done so I've yet to replace it. If it ever breaks I'll bypass the No Mar and go straight to the power changers.

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-tire-changer-69686.html#.Uyo03PldW9A

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product_p/tc-mdbar-std.htm

I've got a NoMar "yellow thingy" to hold the tire and a couple of their clamps as well.

One last bit of cost savings advise. Be very mindful that if you look at a brake rotor the wrong way it wraps, so be very mindful of making contact with one or laying one against the garage floor, etc. Those rotors are $200 up, the factory rotor was $250 many years ago.

I use the harbor freight stand with the NoMar mount demount bar and change LOTS o TIRES. I duct tape the metal bits on the stand that contact the rim and have changed maybe 100+ sets of tires. The little harbor freight stand is my weak point, but gets the job done so I've yet to replace it. If it ever breaks I'll bypass the No Mar and go straight to the power changers.

Portable Tire Changer

Mount/Demount Bar for Manual Tire Changers

I've got a NoMar "yellow thingy" to hold the tire and a couple of their clamps as well.

I'm harbor freight all the way and I have saved that $100 many times over. The No Mar stuff is high cotton.

Just so you know, you can do car tires with a No Mar, but the smaller the sidewall is much harder to. As well as some that you would not be able to do.
As for balancing car tires, a balancer is needed. Not just a static balancer.

One last bit of cost savings advise. Be very mindful that if you look at a brake rotor the wrong way it wraps, so be very mindful of making contact with one or laying one against the garage floor, etc. Those rotors are $200 up, the factory rotor was $250 many years ago.

I just ordered a No-Mar. The above was one of the reasons. I looked up the OEM rotors and the discount price was $285 each!

I looked into the rim protectors and feel that I could have done the few tires I have using them, however if I bent (even a little) a rotor
that would offset the savings of doing it the cheap way. Not to mention the regret of screwing it up.......anyone else been there?

Will I get my monies worth out of it - probably not.
I looked for quite a while for a used one to no avail. So that leads me to believe that most everyone that has one likes it.
I looked on ebay for tire changers and the old junk that many are trying to sell is a joke. 40-80 year old rusted junk - I think I'll pass.
Of the ones that were between $1000 - $5000 none of them were portable - at least easily.

Yes, I could have gone the HF way. IF the no-mar was made in China there is no way I would have bought it.
If I wanted China made I would have jumped on a HF. Hopefully buying American is a good thing and will return dividends one way or another.

Anyone in the Grand Rapids, Holland, MI area can PM me for a great deal on a tire change :whistle:
No sense letting it collect dust if someone else wants a cheap and quality tire change. Two words that normally don't go
together in the same sentence. :laugh:

Just remember, watch the video as a reference...it's all in the technique...

Just remember, watch the video as a reference...it's all in the technique...

Thanks skydivr. I have watched the videos online many many times and almost have them memorized. :rofl:

Now I just have to decide if I want to mount it to a sheet of wood or to the floor or in my covered trailer.
I feel that I could make the trailer hitch mount myself, so that might be another option.

With any luck it should arrive Thursday or Friday. New tires should be here tomorrow.

I'll photograph the package and maybe do a write up of how it goes together etc.

One of the tires on my van loses air very slowly more so than the other 3 so I may take that one off and experiment.
I'm not sure if it's the valve stem that has a small leak in it or maybe a small crack in the tire. They are 14 years old with just under 50,000 so
it might not be too long before all the tires get changed. Depends on if I find something wrong with the one that has a slow leak.

Quality tools always pay for themselves in the long run.

That's what I was thinking. Worse case I could always sell it, as I would have bought a used one, if I could have found one.

On second thought - how many times do you sell something and then wish that you hadn't.

Did you buy a static balancer too?
Some folks will tell you that you'll be fine not balancing tires...and that's BS.
Once in a great while you get a tire that doesn't need any weights, but most of the time they do.
You'll find out real quick at triple digit speeds when an unbalanced tire starts to vibrate.
Stick-on weights work well and come in raw aluminum or black, and a big assorted bag is under $10.:beerchug:

Did you buy a static balancer too?
Some folks will tell you that you'll be fine not balancing tires...and that's BS.
Once in a great while you get a tire that doesn't need any weights, but most of the time they do.
You'll find out real quick at triple digit speeds when an unbalanced tire starts to vibrate.
Stick-on weights work well and come in raw aluminum or black, and a big assorted bag is under $10.:beerchug:

Yes - Balancer is on the way too.

I bought a pair of 90 degree valve stems and will add them when I change the tires. I have red lock-tight, is that OK to use?

Do automotive stores carry valve stems for car tires? And are they all the same size? Do they make 90 degree stems for auto tires too?

Yes - Balancer is on the way too.

I bought a pair of 90 degree valve stems and will add them when I change the tires. I have red lock-tight, is that OK to use?

I would not use the permanent Loctite on the valve stems. A small drop of medium if you want. I have never used Loctite on aluminum thread-in valve stems.

Do automotive stores carry valve stems for car tires? And are they all the same size? Do they make 90 degree stems for auto tires too?

Yes, most do carry valve stems.
There are 2 diameters and various lengths of valve stems.
There are 90 degree valve stems for car/truck wheels. Wheel design determines exactly which you need.

No loctite. I was just thinking that if it came loose while riding that could be very very bad as the tire would go flat super quick.
Not to mention the nut spinning around until the tire flattened out, then it would be getting crushed and nicking up the inside of the rim.

Once they were installed I really can't see a reason to remove them, so I didn't think loctite would hurt them.
If in the rare event that they did need to be removed, and they got destroyed by removing them then I would just replace them.

But I value your opinion and if you really don't think they need loctite then I probably won't use any.

So only 2 diameters - probably one for subcompacts and smaller vehicles and then one for everything else?

One of the thing I really like about this site is almost everyday I learn something new. :thumbsup:

2 different valve stem diameters for motorcycles, but most cars use the same, sorry for the typo.

I just check the nut on the valve stem every tire change too.:beerchug:

Back