I\'m underwhelmed with new twin-turbo Porsche

I don't know what year it was. It was all wheel drive, it had red brake calipers, it looked like about 18" wheels, and he said it had over 400hp.

Dana- Lighten up. I wasn't making a personal assault on you. For me to say that I was underwhelmed with a new twin-turbo all wheel drive Porsche that belongs to someone else does not mean that you are any less of a man for owning whatever year and model of Porsche that you own.

Kirk,

I am sorry that you took that the wrong way. I wasn't insulted or assaultted.

I was just making some observations and comparing and contrasting the two.

My comments about the hp to weight ratios was more of a remark that was akin to someone coming on and saying "i just beat a CBR600F4" and being expecting people to be impressed. It is self understood that the superior hp to weight ratio will always win in an acceleration contest (traction not withstanding).

The one thing that I find truely amazing is when I drive my Porsche how many bikes seem to want to race me (it seems like about 80% of the sportbikes that I am around). I am not a fool. The sad thing is many Porsche owners fall for this and will "race". They don't quite have a grasp on the hp to weight relationship of a bike compared to a car.

A 911TT will give many bikes a good run for the money on acceleration (especially if the bike doesn't take it off the line). Top speed almost every bike better watch out (maybe some ZX12s better pay attention here).

-Dana

John I'm really just raggin' on cages in general and on the feeling of driving vs riding in particular.

I, like many others, have to drive a cage in the winter and for some summer workdays; so I like to drive a decent car.

But I've given up owning "fast" cars like the ZR-1 because the experience of driving it...even racing it...is so dull compared to hot shoeing a good bike, and is so less demanding of the pilot's talents.

Omega's point about F1 is valid insofar as he means open wheeled cars. I've schooled and raced Formula 2000 and cool lapped a Formula Atlantic. The open cockpit, open wheel experience is much closer to a bike.

To me, a racing coupe is boring. Even a new 405 hp 911 Turbo holds no interest for me any more. It's just a hopped up Bug with a different logo on the stereo.

Maybe when I'm too old to swing a leg over I'll get back into cars. :)

correct me if i'm wrong, but in that test between the top super cars and a zx-9, didn't the zx-9 do the 0-100-0mph boogie in the time it took the fastest car just to get to 100mph?

speed

Back