I\'m underwhelmed with new twin-turbo Porsche

OB_Kirk

Registered
I encountered a new twin-turbo Porsche and had the opportunity to compare the performance to my Bus several times. It was no contest, even without downshifting from sixth, and when I did downshift I reeled him in so fast that I wondered if he had run out of gas or something. We chatted for a little bit about it. He says that He can only get his up to 188mph. Poor guy.

Yes we got a engineer guy at work who thinks his Porsche Turbo is King and he eats everything in sight coming in to work on the back roads,I seen him coming in one morning trying to reel me in but when I got in to company property I thought he'd slow down but he tried to pass me so I showed him what a stock motorcycle can do against his $95,000 VW,anyways spanked him good now he nods at me when he see me driving on company road.

Just so's you know, thats the supreme supersports car in existence right now for a variety of reasons. Nothing else made can match its blend of acceleration, braking, traction, handling, and build quality. Its truly formula one technology for the street that will run forever if properly maintained. A bargain at 100k.

Hayabusa $11,300 out the door
Porsche Turbo $95,000-$110,000 out the door. Who wins with the money saved!!! Get WebVan.com to bring your goods home for you.Let's see left over money $85,000; buy some Cisco stocks,DishNetwork stocks,Maybe Harley stocks,lets see Lockheed is down buy some of that too!!!!!!! Ride safe everyone don't race a Porsche save it for a ZX-12.

don't try one of those on anything but ideal traction conditions& dry straight lines.the worse conditions become,the faster those4wd turbos get.I would hate to try to catch on of those on the street,in or on almost anything.

Dana,

I agree that the car will stop more consistantly than the bike under various conditions. To use a bike's full braking potential requires a higher skill level than a 4 whl abs car system.

So what does your Porsche quote for stopping distances @ 60mph. I do remember reading that 0-100-0 article a few years back, but don't recall the production cars outbraking the bike by much.

Dave

Dave,

I dunno what they would quote on a stopping distance for my car. It does not have the stock brakes on it. It has floating rotors and larger calipers. They are enormouns.

There actually was in a motorcycle mag in the mid 90s that compared a BMW 325, NSX, CBR900, a BMW bike (ABS) and a the Yamaha GTS (ABS) i think. The cars actually stopped better than the bikes. I don't remember the exact didtsnces. I will look it up if i still have that mag.

I think a 911TT is about 100ft 60-0. I don't exactly off-hand. I don't know what the new water-cooled 911 Twin Turbo will do. It has even more power and everything beefed up. I haven't seen a test on it yet.

As for paying someone to bring your grociers that is a great idea. But here's a question to ponder. Are you going to pay someone to take you date who is wearing a skirt :)

IMHO the only reason that people knock ferraros, porsches, ect is not that the Busa is a better deal (more bang for the buck) but the cost. Lets put it this way, if driving a lamborgini was just as cost effective for me as a busa (read that I had so much money that I didn't have to wqorry about anything) I would definately drive a lambo. Most people would. Of coarse I would need a Hummer, a Benz, and assorted other cars and bike to go along with it....

-Dana

Guess who's building the next generation Harley engine!!!!!!! Porsche,buy your Harley stocks now.
Do I like Porsche,yes 1959-60 yrs,356,S-90's and the newer Boxers,would I buy one maybe and this would be the order I would buy, NX-Honda,Viper,Mit'sVR-4,Boxer,911TT

[This message has been edited by Cisco San Jose (edited 30 May 2000).]

Dana,

The best bike test I saw was 60-0 in 97 ft by a FZR1000. I don't think the bikes have improved on that much.

No doubt aftermarket brakes will improve any car/bike. And with the contact patch on new cars, stopping distances should be impressive. I was suprised to hear your Porsche would easily outbrake a new sportbike, but I was thinking stock vs stock.

The new 911's are WATER cooled? Guess I haven't been keeping up with the new cars enough. Still a flat 6? Twin sequential turbo's??? Sounds impressive.

Dave

I've had fast street cars and driven race cars up to here.

Yes, a prepped Datsun 510 will outrun a Superbike around a track.

But let's face it. Cars are for sucks.

You're strapped in a caged. You can have a fukken smoke and listen to ABBA while you wipe a bike.

You're safe in there, sweety pie.

Now let's see you get out of that foursquare suckmobile, get on a bike and turn respectable times.

Anybody with Mommy's Money can race a car and win with no talent at all.

It takes guts to race a bike.

That's why it feels faster and thrills you more.

Yeah but dont tell that to michael shumacher, and I'd bet your tune would change after a few laps in the newest formula 1 car.

dont forget one thing, turbos build major torque and hp. my stock bottom end 3700 lbs buick regal. went 11.20's at 121 mph. this was with 4k worth of mods.

the all wheel drive turbo will do low 1.50's 60 foot when set up properly and with the stock turbo's turned up (ie more boost) will make high 590 hp. put on some kkk turbos or turbonetics a bigger wastegate, clean the heads, add some race gas and your looking at close to 700 hp. not bad for a street car.

OK you called me on that. $2MM Karts are the exception.

Within normal bounds though, give me a bike for thrills and physical challenge.

As Kevin Schwantz, who races stock cars now, said in Sport Bike this month, and I quote roughly, "Cars are one thing. There's something about a racing bike that I prefer. I think it has do do with the openness and the vulnerability."

I repeat. Cars are for sucks.

Except, OK Omega, F1 and Top Fuel.

Let me interject here.

Cogratulations on beating a car with a HP to weight ratio of about 8lbs/hp on a bike that with a rider is about 4lbs/hp. That is indeed impressive.

To compare my Busa to my Turbo Porsche (and this aint twin turbo).
1) Acceleration: The bike hands down
2) Top Speed: The bike is faster (the Prosche has been clocked at 172). I know the porsche feels much better at high speed.
3) Handling: Porsche by a long shot. Its funny to be able to out run an R1 in a corner.
4) Comfort: Porsche. Recaro seats/AC/stereo make for a much nicer ride
5) Braking: Porsche by a long shot. Its amazing what 355mm floating rotors and six piston brembo brakes do.
6) Road Coarse: Porsche. It inspires more conifdence than any bike can.
7) Open Road racing: Well there has been one Hayabusa to run the Pony Express. Look at how many Porsches run it......
8) Utility: Try carrying two bags of groceries on the Busa...

The solution that I found: Have both!!!

-Dana

Dana,

Braking by a long shot??? Last I knew the bikes still had a small advantage. Like 60-0 in under 100ft. Your Porsche can beat that in street trim?? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Dave

Yep.

The Porsche on any given day will stop shorter and more predicatbly. Ya put your foot down and get whiplash.

All out stopping distances on a bike will rival that of the Porsche but on the street in real world conditions its not even close. Try a Porsche with the "Big Reds" brakes on them. You will see.

Also check out the car mag from a few years ago when they ran a zx9 in the 0-100-0. The cars repeatdley stopped better.

-Dana

Don't run against that "vw" on a closed circuit road course (like Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio), you will get your a** kicked.

Just to clarify, I am speaking of the new 2001 version only. 405bhp, 4wd, active suspension, traction control, paddle shifter, liquid cooled twin turbo.

Back