I love riding without a Helmet...Wrong??

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my personal opinion, as long as you are within the limits of the law and you make the choice to not wear a helmet, more power to you. I will not ride without a helmet, even in states that do not require them.

I have been in 2 accidents while riding a motorcycle and would either be dead or not look nearly as good as I do :laugh: if I had not been wearing a helmet.

Also, I think a helmet is a comfort item. It keeps the wind off my head and out of my eyes so that I can concentrate on the next turn or obstacle approaching at a high rate of speed.

Agreed. It's a personal choice (where permitted.) Calling our members morons and idiots is incredibly short sided and frankly rude as hell. I wear a helmet 99.9% of the time, but if I do choose not to wear it once, I would like to think I'm not going to get verbally punched in the nose because someone wants to prove how responsible they are while riding the most dangerous motorcycle in the world. It just reeks of arrogance.

Ok Gentleman, some of the posts in here are pushing the limit of Rule #4.

Please debate with respect for each other.

Agreed. It's a personal choice (where permitted.) Calling our members morons and idiots is incredibly short sided and frankly rude as hell. I wear a helmet 99.9% of the time, but if I do choose not to wear it once, I would like to think I'm not going to get verbally punched in the nose because someone wants to prove how responsible they are while riding the most dangerous motorcycle in the world. It just reeks of arrogance.

agreed, you shouldn't belittle someone. an opinion is an opinion, but it doesn't have to be attached with demeaning things.

a helmet saved me from a lot of pain this past year when i down mine. i always wear a helmet no matter what. Even if i had the choice not to wear mine i would.

So you're willing to risk your life 14 times over, and you find this an acceptable risk of life. But when someone wants to risk an additional 2 times over, you point at them and call them names? Do you realize how silly that looks?

Came on, man: No one is calling no one names.
One makes choices, one takes the consequences.
And get the maths right: if the risk is two times higher than the 14 group you are risking 28 times more.

Here is a more in depth study made in the UK.

What is interesting is that motorcyclists are usually risk seeking people.
It is common to see that bikers that also Sky-dive, rock climb, etc..

Do you identify yourself in that pattern??

On a final note, all this people telling you to wear a helmet surly want you safe, that's all.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/research/rsrr/theme5/indepthstudyofmotorcycleacc.pdf

First, let me say that I think that we are fortunate to live in a state where it is still our decision. Second, I made a promise to my wife many years ago that I would always where a helmet and have done so for so long now that it doesn't feel right to ride without it.

Came on, man: No one is calling no one names.
Have you read the comments in this thread? There are some pretty nasty exchanges here.

As for 28 times more, it doesn't work like that. If you're already risking your life 14 times over, you're only twice as likely to die. Not 28 times. ALL bikers are 14 times more likely to die, that includes helmets or not. It's simply that a larger percentage of those bikers are not wearing helmets. You can't add risk factors like that.

Sorry, but internet stupidity will most often result in a verbal smackdown.
He, and many (most, probably) others think you deserve it.

If you want to ride without a helmet, that's your choice. Make sure your wife/girlfriend knows how to log onto this site, so she can tell us where to send the flowers.
I have to agree. I think it was a little bit foolish to come on a bike site and ask riders opinions on not wearing a helmet. What exactly were you expecting? Just wanting some attention or are you really that naive? That ranks right up there with should I get a busa as a first bike as far as ridiculous questions go :banghead:
Sometimes the don't ask/don't tell policy works well. In this case it would be the DON'T TELL part :laugh:

I need to add a helmet saved my life from a drunk driver as well :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have to agree. I think it was a little bit foolish to come on a bike site and ask riders opinions on not wearing a helmet. What exactly were you expecting? Just wanting some attention or are you really that naive?

Perhaps politeness? Just a guess.

I take LOTS of high speed risks in my life (in particularly, m/bike riding & skydiving) and I want to continue to do so...coz that's what keeps my life fun, exciting and enjoyable!!

BUT >>> the only way I can justify indulging in these pastimes is by MINIMISING the RISK factor!

I'll never point the finger at someone else who chooses NOT to wear gear that will essentially help them live to play another day.....but I personally value my own physical and mental health....and if I were ever to cop a serious brain injury....that would be my life over, as I know and enjoy it!!!

What price does anyone else here put on their most vital body part??? :whistle:

:beerchug:

Perhaps politeness? Just a guess.
Politeness is great, but it only goes so far when ridiculous questions are asked. I was direct, but gave no insults. IMO though his question was silly enough that I could definately see it pushing the envelope for many folks. Some questions don't need to be asked, common sense should answer them automatically (hopefully) :laugh:
If you have to ask those kinds of questions, maybe you shouldn't be riding a bike? :whistle:

Ok, since motorcyclists have 14 times more chance to be killed in a road accident, doesn't it make 14 times more sense to protect one self?

You see, the LIVE TO RIDE thing assumes that you have to be alive to ride...
Obviously one does not have to look like a GP racer riding to work, but a helmet is a must.

Any way, I'm quite good looking and fit thus very popular with the ladies so I'll wear a helmet, gloves and a nice leather jacket for now. (!)

I enjoy riding (and sex!) too much to risk it all by riding without a helmet.
What are you risking?

You cant be serious dude ??? :bowdown:

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this statement. Helmets absolutely limit your field of view. Unless you have no peripheral vision, then maybe you don't miss it.

And once again, I have to trott out the tired old details. The mere fact that we ride motorcycles means we are at far greater risk of dying, helmet or not. For us to criticize someone for taking an additional risk is somewhat hypocritical

If safety was the primary concern, none of us would be riding in the first place.

Helmets do not limit your field of vision, average peripheral vision is 180 degrees, to be DOT certified a helmet must have 210 degrees peripheral vision. Before you start arguing in support of a squid know your facts!

Read the link you just might learn something.:banghead:

http://www.smarter-usa.org/docs/PDF DOCUMENTS/Myths_v_Facts_printerfriendly.pdf

People have discussed and argued about this on many forums and it comes down to this we should have the right to choose and be accountable for our own dicisions. So i say to each his own.

Amen!
I live in a state that has a choice. I love the fact that I have the choice legally.
I am one who chooses to, even on the bicycle.

+ 1,000 vonderbach

The only one your physically hurting is yourself (the decision maker). Let those who ride decide

OWEN started this thread for sure !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back