i just found out this from vet

shawnski

Donating Member
Registered
well... i decided to help a 7 months old stray cat 2 years ago hanging around my area and adopted her and give her good life.did all her tests and shuts and everything was good. last couple of days noticed when eats dry food she goes in bad pain like something wrong with her teeth, so yesterday i took her to vet, and after exams, find out her gums are messed up bad and alot of inflamation . the vet said that is the case with her stomach.alot of sore in her mouth too. find out the cause is FIV( feline lukemia virus) .
this is like AIDS in human.
very upset about it and really you can't do anything about except good diet and hope she can live for a while.
i know cats are not as important to people as dogs but you get attached to them and to me they are like part of families.
does any cat owners here ever had to deal with the same situation and can give me advice of what i can do better to make her live longer.

Cats or dogs or most pets eventually become family. They all have their own personalities, just like people.

My old cat didn't have FIV, but somehow managed to break his back. It was horrible to watch him in that much pain, but surgery was $4,000 and the cat was $50.

Anyway, we gave him steroids and pain medicine and after a couple months he was back to normal (thank God).

I can't give you any advice as far as the diet and making her live longer but I wish you well.

After just having to put our cat down in October, my best advice is just watch her. If you notice anything "wrong" or "off", don't ignore it or put it off as nothing. Keep her check-ups as often as the Vet feels is necessary in her condition. When it comes time to put her down......don't put it off. I was hopeful that our cat's condition was going to improve and it didn't. I felt guilty for a VERY long time for not putting him down sooner.

Sorry to hear that brother. I wish I had some sort of advice. Take yout vet's advice and make sure she eats well.

well... i decided to help a 7 months old stray cat 2 years ago hanging around my area and adopted her and give her good life.did all her tests and shuts and everything was good. last couple of days noticed when eats dry food she goes in bad pain like something wrong with her teeth, so yesterday i took her to vet, and after exams, find out her gums are messed up bad and alot of inflamation . the vet said that is the case with her stomach.alot of sore in her mouth too. find out the cause is FIV( feline lukemia virus) .
this is like AIDS in human.
very upset about it and really you can't do anything about except good diet and hope she can live for a while.
i know cats are not as important to people as dogs but you get attached to them and to me they are like part of families.
does any cat owners here ever had to deal with the same situation and can give me advice of what i can do better to make her live longer.

I have had lots of animals, yes they do become part of your family.

Right now we have 2 cats, 3 dogs, a frog and some fish.

(every once in awhile we will get a lizard, scorpion, camel spider etc).

We have had to put down or let go a few of our fury family from time to time.

The best advice I can give is do not focus on making your cat live longer, focus on trying to make it as comfortable as possiible with whatever time it has left.

Hello
Just wanted to let you know that this is not uncommon and I don't know if the Vet told you but this is contagious in cats, so don't get another cat. I believe they told me to wait 6 months before you get another. (you should check this info with your vet as I could have been given bogus info 20 yrs ago) I lost 2 cats to this while I lived in Houston.
There really is nothing you can do except keep giving them love and care.
Good luck.
Bubba

Mine lived 18 years (sisters); for many years all they had was each other and me. Once I got married my wife who is allergic made me put them outside. They lasted about 2 years one got taken by a dog and the other died shortly thereafter. I was very attached to mine. And due to my wife's allergies I can't replace them. I miss them.

Dogs are like men, they will come to you even when they KNOW you are gonna whip them; cats are like women you can't tell them to do squat, but when they show affection you know they mean it.

Before you make any decisions go to a different vet. I have a cat that had the same problems. Lots of sores in her mouth, really inflamed, couldn't eat, lost a whole lot of weight.

We took her to the vet and he put her on medication, I can't remember it off the top of my head. It helped but didn't cure the problem. I for the life of me can't remember the name of this condition but if you pm me I will go back through vet records and find it for you. It is a condition where the gums become inflamed because of the bacteria and plaque on the teeth.

Our vet at that time recommended pulling her teeth as her teeth were the problem. We were hesitant to do this at the time because we were afraid she wouldn't be able to eat with no teeth.

We did finally have all of her teeth removed except for 4, she still has the big longer ones in the front. We had to keep her on antibiotics for a couple weeks but she healed beautifully. This was several years ago and she lives a normal happy life to this day. Although we committed to feeding her canned/soft food we also had another cat that prefered dry. Needless to say, she turns her nose at wet food and still eats dry, even with no teeth. She was a stray as well and is also FIV positive, I'm betting the farm that the FIV is not your cats problem.

If you need more info feel free to pm me and I'll get you my phone number.

Before you make any decisions go to a different vet. I have a cat that had the same problems. Lots of sores in her mouth, really inflamed, couldn't eat, lost a whole lot of weight.

We took her to the vet and he put her on medication, I can't remember it off the top of my head. It helped but didn't cure the problem. I for the life of me can't remember the name of this condition but if you pm me I will go back through vet records and find it for you. It is a condition where the gums become inflamed because of the bacteria and plaque on the teeth.

Our vet at that time recommended pulling her teeth as her teeth were the problem. We were hesitant to do this at the time because we were afraid she wouldn't be able to eat with no teeth.

We did finally have all of her teeth removed except for 4, she still has the big longer ones in the front. We had to keep her on antibiotics for a couple weeks but she healed beautifully. This was several years ago and she lives a normal happy life to this day. Although we committed to feeding her canned/soft food we also had another cat that prefered dry. Needless to say, she turns her nose at wet food and still eats dry, even with no teeth. She was a stray as well and is also FIV positive, I'm betting the farm that the FIV is not your cats problem.

If you need more info feel free to pm me and I'll get you my phone number.

thanks for advice, i think i will get second opinion.
the vet said that her teeth were pretty clean and she has diarrhea and that is one of the symptoms of FIv. they did the blood test yesterday and that was the vet based it on.
she is doing well today and ate soft food.
i have some antibiotic that i am suppose to give her to help with infection and he gave her cortozone for inflamation.
i give it a little time see what happens.

Hello
Just wanted to let you know that this is not uncommon and I don't know if the Vet told you but this is contagious in cats, so don't get another cat. I believe they told me to wait 6 months before you get another. (you should check this info with your vet as I could have been given bogus info 20 yrs ago) I lost 2 cats to this while I lived in Houston.
There really is nothing you can do except keep giving them love and care.
Good luck.
Bubba

yeh and i have two other ones, one 14 years old and one almost two years old, so i am kind of concern!

After just having to put our cat down in October, my best advice is just watch her. If you notice anything "wrong" or "off", don't ignore it or put it off as nothing. Keep her check-ups as often as the Vet feels is necessary in her condition. When it comes time to put her down......don't put it off. I was hopeful that our cat's condition was going to improve and it didn't. I felt guilty for a VERY long time for not putting him down sooner.

thanks, it is hard to notice pain in animals specially cats, they are very good about hiding pain.
one positive thing about this is that the time comes to put her to sleep she will never know or feel any pain. we human will feel the pain of losing our animals.

I'm so sorry :( I've never had a cat with that, so I don't really have any advice beyond making sure you consult the vet, Google info and enjoy the time you have :(

I'm a cat person...have 3 of them now...I acquired the last one in November, a stray...been slack about getting him to the vet and I've been worried about just that, FIV. I'm taking all 3 cats to the vet on Monday, finally...I've been a bad cat owner :(

Here's some information on what I had mentioned earlier. The condition is called feline stomatitis.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/random-thoughts/102617-i-just-found-out-vet.html#post1863064

Medication is not a bad thing and may take care of it depending upon how bad or severe the situation is

As for cats with FIV, I've had several strays that I've taken in that have been FIV positive. They have all done very well with the condition and normally don't require much more care than a cat without it. The disease is most often transferred from fighting and biting.

I have several cats inside that are not FIV positive. Although we can not let them mingle for fear of transfer of the disease we have had no problems with cross contamination.

When I was single I had a cat for about 8 years that got Feline HIV. My vet is one of my old college roommates & she told me she would take care of it when I was ready. I didn't notice anything except he started to sleep more. I came home from work one day & he was just sitting there staring blankly into space. I called my vet & she was out. I tried to pet him & no response. I noticed a little blood on his muzzle too. I can't believe I let him get to this point, it was my own selfishness of wanting to keep him around I guess. I went out in the back yard & dug a hole. I carefully layed him in a box, & took him out back. I wrapped a towel around the end of a pistol, started to cry & pulled the trigger. I am very sorry for your situation.

:unhappy: Sorry to hear your baby is sick. I would get a second opinion. Good luck and your kitty will let you know when they are ready.

I have 2 kitties and love them to death. I had a dog and still miss him so much even though it has been 2 years since he died. I will be a wreck when comes time for my kitty Corey to go. She is 18 1/2 right now and still kicking. :) The other, Phoebe, is 7 yrs old. They are my children. :laugh:

Re: i just found out this from vet (UPDATE!)

took my cat monday for second opinion and they did all kind of test and the result came negative and i am so happy about it.
i guess there is different virus ( can't spell it):laugh: and that cause the inflmation and sore in mouth. no fiv or flv thank god!!!:please:
she is doing fine and sores all gone.
the only bad thing is now she eats like a pig and plays alot and won't even sleep!!!!:laugh:
poor thing must have been in lot of pain.

Last edited:
Back