Diabetic cat!

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
My lil cat has diabetes! WTH? Tried diet changes for a few weeks but to no avail. She’s eaten about a half cup of the recommended diabetic food in the last three days and went from almost ten pounds to just over eight. Won’t even eat people tuna! Hasn’t used the cat box in three days either. Took her to the Vet again and now she’s in the hospital to get fluids and insulin. Man, I dread having to give her insulin twice a day, she’s so tiny…

My lil cat has diabetes! WTH? Tried diet changes for a few weeks but to no avail. She’s eaten about a half cup of the recommended diabetic food in the last three days and went from almost ten pounds to just over eight. Won’t even eat people tuna! Hasn’t used the cat box in three days either. Took her to the Vet again and now she’s in the hospital to get fluids and insulin. Man, I dread having to give her insulin twice a day, she’s so tiny…
One of the senior ladies we look after had a diabetic dog...a very little dog and she had to give it injections...

She ended up putting it to sleep along with her other dog (which was very old and not enjoying life at all).

Having a pet is filled with joy and sorrow...

We had a cat for 18 yrs....she was definitely part of the family
I've grown up with them
My folks have had them live to be as old as 17, 18, and 20.
I have 2 now.
Black female is 6(Bones), and my boy will be 12 this year.
His name is Fatty Fats, aka Big Fatty...20 lbs+ , he's been a chunk since he ran out in the road in front of me just a few weeks old.
They stay outside, but are in the basement on these cold nights.
They earn their keep by killing Everything in the yard...they're ruthless.
She's even gotten rabbits, squirrels, and copperheads.
Sorry @WuzzaCBXRider
Not trying to take away from your problem, just a little support in my own way.
Here's some shots of Fatty in action.

20200412_165433.jpg

20190726_211425.jpg

Our pooch is a diabetic and needs two insulin shots of 4ml per day and she’s only 9 years old, also had double eye surgery to have new eye lens put in as she went blind basically overnight due to cataracts.

Have to cut out a lot of treats but we’re allowed to feed her dog food opposed to chicken and rice which is bland as good time.

You need to get Thiamine Hydrochloride, not Thiamine mononitrate. Whatever food you were giving the cat wasn't high enough in B vitamins. Basically she is out of B1 which is what he needs to process and absorb energy. They sell it in Amazon in bulk powder. You only need to give her 1 mg per day. Get it for next day. You don't have much time to correct the imbalance. Kidneys and heart also suffer once b1 levels are too low. I used it to bring back to health very sick animals. So you need the Thiamine HCL powder and a 1/64 teaspoon. Mix a level 1/64 teaspoon of powder with 5ml of water. From there you only gonna use .1 of a ml to squirt into her mouth. PM if you need more help. Give it to her before her meal.

You need to get Thiamine Hydrochloride, not Thiamine mononitrate. Whatever food you were giving the cat wasn't high enough in B vitamins. Basically she is out of B1 which is what he needs to process and absorb energy. They sell it in Amazon in bulk powder. You only need to give her 1 mg per day. Get it for next day. You don't have much time to correct the imbalance. Kidneys and heart also suffer once b1 levels are too low. I used it to bring back to health very sick animals. So you need the Thiamine HCL powder and a 1/64 teaspoon. Mix a level 1/64 teaspoon of powder with 5ml of water. From there you only gonna use .1 of a ml to squirt into her mouth. PM if you need more help. Give it to her before her meal.

Thanks for the info. She should be in the hospital until Friday or Saturday in order for them to get her healthy enough to return home. I tried diabetic dry and wet food and for a few days she stopped over drinking and seemed better but w/o insulin she got worse and stopped eating, even tuna. She lost nearly two pounds and she never weighed over ten. I’m not looking forward to giving her twice daily shots etc but I’ll do what I have to to get her well again.
9D398F72-CED2-4698-9D78-224DE0CEE066.jpg
6F0E0935-FA2B-45E0-9C15-0CF44B3C8EC9.jpg

Thanks for the info. She should be in the hospital until Friday or Saturday in order for them to get her healthy enough to return home. I tried diabetic dry and wet food and for a few days she stopped over drinking and seemed better but w/o insulin she got worse and stopped eating, even tuna. She lost nearly two pounds and she never weighed over ten. I’m not looking forward to giving her twice daily shots etc but I’ll do what I have to to get her well again.View attachment 1645930View attachment 1645931
Dont feed wet food. Wet food just like ground meat is maintained by the use of a chemical called sulphur Dioxide. It is a anti thiaminic compound. It stops the absorption of Thiamine from food. Since it is used as grounded meat preservative in wet food they add extra Thiamine, but that preservative still damages the animals ability to absorb Thiamine regardless of vitamin dosage levels.

Keep her on dry food. She will fare much better and gives her time to build up a store of thiamine in her body.

Thanks for the info. She should be in the hospital until Friday or Saturday in order for them to get her healthy enough to return home. I tried diabetic dry and wet food and for a few days she stopped over drinking and seemed better but w/o insulin she got worse and stopped eating, even tuna. She lost nearly two pounds and she never weighed over ten. I’m not looking forward to giving her twice daily shots etc but I’ll do what I have to to get her well again.View attachment 1645930View attachment 1645931
She looks just the same as the cat we had....her name was Fuzzie....

It's funny how they get to you....and they get to know you....our cat would wait until I sat on the couch and put my feet up on the ottoman and then come over to sit at my side until I patted my legs, then she'd get on my legs and cuddle in for a nap....each and every time I put my legs up she'd be there...

She would always go to bed when we did (and she sure took up her fair share of space on the bed for a little cat)....there were times we'd stay up for a bit and she'd head of to bed on her own then give us "that look" when we came to bed and disturbed her.

I miss that cat and I can see why you are determined to do all you can for your fur baby...

I hear you. A couple years ago I spent just over a thou when she was snake bit and stayed in the hospital for a week. So far this time I’m getting close to another thou.
Be thankful it’s only $1000 over there, 3 day stay at a vet hospital was nearly $5000 for our pooch and she’s been twice. Double eye surgery was $6300.

Back