Diabetes.

newman

Registered
I've got type 2 diabetes.
Don't feel ill at all.

After my last check up my blood sugar level had gone up.
It's my own fault.
I've been eating chocolate, and not eating right.

So the diabetic nurse asked me how much alcohol I drink.
I told her I only go out once a week and sometimes not even that.
And she said how muck do you drink.
Me, 12 to 15 pints of lager.

She said this could affect my blood sugar and not to drink for six weeks, then have another blood test.
Well the six weeks is up and I'm going for another blood test tomorrow.

She put me on some different tablets.
And I've been eating healthy and dieting.
I've lost 21lbs in five weeks.
It's the lightest I've been in years I was 308lbs at my heaviest.
I feel so much better.
Still weigh 258lbs but am determined to stick to the diet and lose a lot more.

My aim is to get down to 210lbs and see from there.

Lynne's brilliant she's been going to Slimming World and has lost 26lbs in six weeks.

I eat really well on this diet it's very good.

When I first met Lynne I weighed 175ibs, and was too thin.

I'm going to the pub tomorrow with Lynne.
But I'm not going to go out as much.
Perhaps once every 3 weeks.

I know I shouldn't but I can't just give up my social life.
Got to have some fun in life.
Got to live.

Right on! Keep up the great work!

My better half has Type 2. I've learned a lot about Diabetes over the last few years. Turns out that high blood sugar is the sympton but the cause of high blood sugar is fat. Specifically, visceral fat, the fat we can't see. Fat winds up in the mitochodria of our cells which "clogs" up the unsulin receptors which causes the cells not to allow insulin in which causes the cells to not allow sugar in to be burned for energy. The irony is that the more fat in the cells, the poorer the cells are at burning fat. So, the great thing about losing weight as a diabetic is that insulin resistance is likely to go down with weight and fat burning ability is likely to go up.

My better half has lost a significant amount of weight since diagnosis, dropped one of two meds, reduced the remaining one and still enjoys the occassional treats...but in moderation.

Other things that seem to help:
1) Cinnamon: it's a natural blood sugar stabilizer. Use it on food or take in pill form.
2) Indian Gooseberry (aka Amla). Another natural food that helps control blood sugar and has GREAT side effects, like lowering cholesterol and other. We get it in pill form.

Keep at it and good things will happen. Best of luck!

Stick with that diet--it sounds like it will really help. And you're right that you have to live. Sending prayers your way.

I'm glad both you and Lynne are working to get healthier...it's much easier if you're both doing the same thing at the same time to encourage one another...

Congrats on the weight loss so far. I have diabetic friends that lost enough and adopted eating right to get off of the meds altogether...keep it up newman!! :thumbsup:

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Thanks everyone.
It is a lot easier with Lynne and me both doing the diet.
I hope the beer don't go straight to our heads:laugh:

Lynne's Daughter Tina was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 12, she's 24 now.
She injects insulin 4 times a day.

She has to have laser treatment on her eyes because blood vessels grow in the back of her eyes and can burst.
Shes had cataracts in both eyes, but has had one done.

She used to get right fed up when she was young.
Shes ok with it now settled down got married and has two kids Lola and Jack.:thumbsup:

Back