Am I in the wrong?

DetroitBusa

Registered
So we lost our cat a month ago, and waited a wile before getting a new one. Once we decided to get another one, we went to the nearest petsmart. Out petsmarts here have independent adoption agencys that go to the shelter, get animals and takes them to the vet then adopts them out. Well two weeks ago we got two cats, a little 12 week old kitty and a 1 year old cat. Both were fine, just the little one was sneezing when we got home. Two weeks later, today, the little one died of pneumonia in the VCA animal hospital. She has been in the vet for a few days and in and out since we had her.

Am I in the wrong by expecting something to be done by the agency? I can not remember if they had a warrantee, but being an "adoption agency", I believe a new cat is in store, it's a win win, another cat is abopted and we are kind of happy because it was make somewhat right. Still the vet bills but we don't have a problem with them. What do you think?

Sounds like the kitty had the sickness while it was in custody of petsmart. I think thats your key

They wont have a problem giving you another one. Its the vet bills they would try to back out of and you already said you don't have a problem with that part. Just explain it and pick out another one. I have had that happen to me twice. The second time I spent about $900.00 in surgery tring to save the dogs life. The adoption agency even trid to pay me back in payments but I dindn't fell right taking it, so they just gave me another doggie.

I'm sure they'll be glad to give you another. You said it wasn't about the vet bill :poke:

petsmart will replace dead fish as long as you have the receipt... maybe they will honor that policy :dunno:

IMHO (and I have 7 rescue kitties), if you're getting a pet from any adoption agency, a lot of $ goes in to caring for that pet. My last official adoption (most of my kitties are from the side of the road LOL) was an orange tabby that was in the system for a year, so the cost to care for him like that wasn't cheap. Had he been sick when I got him and later died, for me to go and ask for a replacement isn't "just another cat" to them. There is still cost associated with the care of each and every animal they have up for adoption.

See if they will give you another kitty because you are right, there are plenty of babies that need homes, but I don't think I'd go after 'em for the vet bills. Most adoption agencies go on donations only, and I know so many of 'em are run by individuals that donate a lot of their own money to save the lives of animals most would just have put down. They aren't getting rich doing this; it's for the love of the animals that they're keeping 'em alive and trying to place them.

Just my :2cents:

I'm sorry to hear you lost the little one :down:

Last edited:
I think you have the right attitude and your heart is in the right place. I am sure they would be more than happy to make right by you with another baby to take home. Since you are not trying to get the money back for the vet bills you are really helping them out. I hope you love your next one just as much as your last.

Back