I high-sided at 75 mph

Do you have any idea what happened? Not getting run over was fortunate. Best wishes for full recovery.

No idea what happened, but have several credible possibilities. And yes, I was just cruising along. I was 20 miles into my 22-mile ride home, running with lite trafic at 75 mph on an 8-lane (4 in each direction) of relatively new interstate. Earlier this fall, I had experienced a front wobble at 90 MPH or so a couple of times, right after replacing a worn out OEM Metzeler front tire with a Shinko. But thought I had cured the wobble by replacing the new Shinko front tire-which I thought was defective-with another new front tire, another Metzeler. Anyhow, just riding along, and an EXTREME wobble began. A true "tank-slapper". Such a violent shake that I knew right away I would lose it. And I did. Next thing I know, i see a lady peering into my face, telling me not to move. She was first on the scene, and had watched me as the bike "bucked me off", then as I "rag-doll-rolled" down the interstate.

Based on reading of extensive web articels and forums, the credible theories are as follows. There is no way to tell at this point if any are true, but here thay are:
1. Running a car tire on the rear. There are reports of front-end wobble caused by car tire. this was not my first car tire; I had never experienced anything but positive results in past when running a CT. There are those who swear by CTs on cruisers. There are others who swear at them. I really don't think the CT had anything to do with it.
2. Addition of front engine/highway bars. There are reports of handling difficulties that result from improper installation of front engine bars on this particular bike. I did the install, and anything is possible, but I just can't buy this. Maybe I failed to properly torque the engine-mount bolt. Or maybe it came loose. I just dunno. This is may be the most plausible theory.
3. Faulty/defective/maladjusted steering stem bearings. This is perhaps the most prevalent theory, however, my own inspection of the bearings before the crash revealed nothing unusual.
4. Faulty/maladjusted suspension components and/or improper tire psi. I had just checked shock settings and air pressure the night before.

In summary, I will never know. The bike was taken away by Flo's gang (Progressive insurance company), and has been declared a total loss. Their settlement amount was more than fair, and even included compensation for my helmet, jacket, and riding pants. My boots and gloves survived OK, but with some scuffs.

I look forward to the day when I can close my eyes and not see the wobble starting up again.

ATGATT,
CW

No idea what happened, but have several credible possibilities. And yes, I was just cruising along. I was 20 miles into my 22-mile ride home, running with lite trafic at 75 mph on an 8-lane (4 in each direction) of relatively new interstate. Earlier this fall, I had experienced a front wobble at 90 MPH or so a couple of times, right after replacing a worn out OEM Metzeler front tire with a Shinko. But thought I had cured the wobble by replacing the new Shinko front tire-which I thought was defective-with another new front tire, another Metzeler. Anyhow, just riding along, and an EXTREME wobble began. A true "tank-slapper". Such a violent shake that I knew right away I would lose it. And I did. Next thing I know, i see a lady peering into my face, telling me not to move. She was first on the scene, and had watched me as the bike "bucked me off", then as I "rag-doll-rolled" down the interstate.

Based on reading of extensive web articels and forums, the credible theories are as follows. There is no way to tell at this point if any are true, but here thay are:
1. Running a car tire on the rear. There are reports of front-end wobble caused by car tire. this was not my first car tire; I had never experienced anything but positive results in past when running a CT. There are those who swear by CTs on cruisers. There are others who swear at them. I really don't think the CT had anything to do with it.
2. Addition of front engine/highway bars. There are reports of handling difficulties that result from improper installation of front engine bars on this particular bike. I did the install, and anything is possible, but I just can't buy this. Maybe I failed to properly torque the engine-mount bolt. Or maybe it came loose. I just dunno. This is may be the most plausible theory.
3. Faulty/defective/maladjusted steering stem bearings. This is perhaps the most prevalent theory, however, my own inspection of the bearings before the crash revealed nothing unusual.
4. Faulty/maladjusted suspension components and/or improper tire psi. I had just checked shock settings and air pressure the night before.

In summary, I will never know. The bike was taken away by Flo's gang (Progressive insurance company), and has been declared a total loss. Their settlement amount was more than fair, and even included compensation for my helmet, jacket, and riding pants. My boots and gloves survived OK, but with some scuffs.

I look forward to the day when I can close my eyes and not see the wobble starting up again.

ATGATT,
CW

OH MY G. was it a harley????????

OH MY G. was it a harley????????

A Triumph Rocket III, I believe was mentioned.

One of these:

2009-Triumph-Rocket3IIIClassicc-small.jpg

Wow, a car tire on the back, a Shinko on the front.... you are indeed a thrillseeker, sir! :whistle:

Glad you are (basically) okay.... glad to see you're not making any rash decisions about your motorcycle future just quite yet. :thumbsup:

Who knows.... perhaps you will determine that in addition to the CT factor, you also had steering stem bearings that had fallen out of torque specs, and these two items combined with road irregularities cause a Perfect Storm of factors that resulted in your asphalt-surfing.
In that scenario, fresh new (motorcycle-specific) tire and clean/lubed steering stem bearings, and you are in business again! :beerchug:

I'm thankful you are able to post. I had the same injuries after my run in with the dear. You will be good to go in A few weeks. Take your time in making the decision about selling your bikes. Right after an issue is not the best time to decide. Thank God for gear!

Glad you'll be able to recover and ride again......if the wife lets u that is!!

glad it wasn't any worse! like GSXcite said, take your time before deciding what you are going to do about two wheel vehicles in the future...i've seen a lot of friends make quick decisions and regret it later on

Chances are it was the stem bearings. As notated by another post, HD currently has a MAJOR issue with a low speed wobble caused by improper tightening and uneducated and unqualified " technicians " . FYI to all 09 to current HD dresser riders, Does not matter what HD says ... 1 - 1.5 swing Max ... nuff said.
ANYWAY, the bad part about "inspecting" the neck bearings is that it is usually a visual thing with maybe a little opposing force test. not really a good way to do it. your eye and forearms will not be a good indicator of a slightly out of spec compression as evidenced by thousands of HD bikes.
For the sake of the big picture ... it really does not matter because as u said u will never know for sure as the bike is gone and any testing would be frivolous anyway. Just be thankful that you were protected ( and not just by your gear ) and that you are still here to express that thankfulness :)
Selfishly speaking, I hope the two of you decide to keep riding but if not I completely understand. I chose to rid myself of my Busa a few years ago because even at over 40, i lacked the maturity to ride it responsibly. It was tough to give up and I still miss her but I know me and I know that you can out run your guardian angel on a Busa :)
Good wishes to you for a speedy recovery!!
Moose

Sorry to hear about the highside, may you have a full and fast recovery. I broke my left tibia in 15 places and my left foot in 2 places when I was playing around on my old stuntbike. I sold both my bikes and said I was done, now 2 1/2 years later I have a stretched out turbo busa, gsxr 1000 track bike and a gsxr 750 rip around bike. I am very glad I got back into it cause the 1st time I rode since my accident, I just couldn't stay off...

Like one person said, glad you're still here to post and that's good advice.....for everyone...I had the same type of accident and I was fully geared the ambulance driver couldn't believe how much gear I was wearing, but the cops knew why.....good riding....

Well, it has been a bit over six months now. I'm back to riding again. Mostly on my KLR, but also a few miles on my 'Busa. The old right foot I broke in the crash is coming along - slowly. Still hurts at end of the day, but hardly swells any more. I can again get into those 'spensive Sidi boots I bought last summer. Thought they might be sell offs when my foot had to be rebuilt: 5 screws and 2 pins. the pins came out, but the screws stayed in. Now have some very unusual bumps and lumps across the top of my foot!

Anyhow, I appreciate all the posts of care and concern, and am happy to be on the two wheels again.

ATGATT,
CW

CW, thank you for the excellent post on what may have caused this wreck. This is the kind of stuff folks need to post here... to help others. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Back