I hate Carburetors!!

Ranger

Registered
Some of you may remember the 1200 Bandit I acquired recently, well...I tore out the carbs and cleaned them out real good, cleared the jets slapped it back together and it ran great, but it was leaking gas form 2 of the bowls. So I ripped it apart again, re cleaned and fixed the float bowl seals, slapped it all back together again, fired it up. Now its runs like crapp.:banghead:

So I'm going to tear it down 1 more time, make sure I didn't miss anything. I did take it for a ride around the block though, it was a milestone for me to get it running, so I'm happy about that. Anyone that is knowledgeable about carbs (they are the same as the 97 GSXR1200) I would gladly accept any advice.

Cheers!

Bandit_clean.jpg

I hate carbs too, wish I could help. I had to take Juli's bike in to have it fixed.

Ranger, after a good cleaning like that, debris can still find it's way into the main jets. Also, what do you mean "runs like crap"? The way it runs like crap actually tells an important story in itself.
Right off the top remember:
float bowl adjustment
Needle adjustment
carbs synched with each other
ck. fuel flow into all 4 bowls
caps tight (top of carbs)
if CV (constant velocity)condition of diaphrams(not just tears but plyability)
choke circuit(little plungers move?)...sometimes only on one carb

It sounds like alot but it's really not and it's really fun to make it right by yourself! Ck if there is a Bandit owners group like the org for guidance...and be patient!
Good luck, it'll be worth it. Raydog

Ranger, after a good cleaning like that, debris can still find it's way into the main jets. Also, what do you mean "runs like crap"? The way it runs like crap actually tells an important story in itself.
Right off the top remember:
float bowl adjustment
Needle adjustment
carbs synched with each other
ck. fuel flow into all 4 bowls
caps tight (top of carbs)
if CV (constant velocity)condition of diaphrams(not just tears but plyability)
choke circuit(little plungers move?)...sometimes only on one carb

It sounds like alot but it's really not and it's really fun to make it right by yourself! Ck if there is a Bandit owners group like the org for guidance...and be patient!
Good luck, it'll be worth it. Raydog

Thanks Raydog, Hopefully it will be something simple, mainly because it ran fine, then I just redid the float bowl seals, and now it runs bad. When I say bad, I mean like its being fuel starved. It idles perfectly but wont go into high RPMS w/o dying out. Hopefully it will be a jet or something easy!!

When you say float bowl seals, do you mean the tiny gaskets between the bowls and carb bodies? Also, (now this is very general troubleshooting stuff) if it idles OK but stumbles on the big end, that would tend to indicate main jet/floating pin/spring issues. When I say issues (this is so hard on e mail) I mean obstructed flow either by clog or your earlier reassembly. Floating pin is the little pointed brass piece near the main jet.
Keep the faith bro!

Make sure that the pilot jet are not blocked, the new gas thats out now seperates, and blocks the pilots.

Make sure that the pilot jet are not blocked, the new gas thats out now seperates, and blocks the pilots.

Gixerhp beat me to it. Can you use the enrichener to make it idle at something like 2500 rpm? Will she run around "ok" at higher rpms but like crap down low? If so, it's your idle jets. Wash your fuel tank out (again). Replace the fuel lines and the fuel filter. Blow cleaner through all the passages. Consider replacing the idle jets with the next size up if you take these off again.

Well, I took it apart, all looked ok, didnt see any clogs, I blew out all the jets to make sure they are cleared. I did see some smaller particles at the bottom of the bowl. I know it doesn't take much to clog them jets. I have everything soaking in Chem dip right now, going to order some new float bowl seals and o-rings. Hopefully that will cover everything..:please:

I do not have and inline filter, I'm going to put one of those on there before she all goes back together, the tank was creamed and I don't want to take any chances.

Back